Racing... actually gonna happen this time
Close

This is a discussion on Racing... actually gonna happen this time within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Like many, I've been talking about starting racing for years but never actually taking any steps to do it. Over many beers on new year's ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Like many, I've been talking about starting racing for years but never actually taking any steps to do it. Over many beers on new year's eve, some buddies and I developed a plan. What's surprising was that the next day, once the hangovers subsided, everyone remembered talking about it and was still enthusiastic.
    So it looks like the four of us are going to pool our resources and do some AHRMA Novice Historic Production lightweight racing this year. We'll be running a CB350. None of us have any motorcycle racing experience, but between us we have just about everything we'll need including lots of mechanical experience and knowledge. We're all serious members of the antique Jap bike underground around here and we know a lot of old guys who raced in their younger days, so we have a lot of resources. Plus, I'm 5'7", 140 lbs. so I'll at least be competitive in the HP-to-weight area.
    Gonna start scrutinizing the rule book and building up the bike tonight.
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'72 Yamaha R5/RD350 hybrid
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead
    -a bunch of other old Jap bikes

Very cool!! I don't have that much experience either but will also be racing with AHRMA in the same class this year. I'll either be on a 72 CB350 or a 72 RD250. Still not sure. Anyway, where are you guys located? Have you figured out which races you were wanting to run?
    Alex Orille
    72 Honda CB350
    Ahrma #8479

Very cool!! I don't have that much experience either but will also be racing with AHRMA in the same class this year. I'll either be on a 72 CB350 or a 72 RD250. Still not sure. Anyway, where are you guys located? Have you figured out which races you were wanting to run?
    Alex Orille
    72 Honda CB350
    Ahrma #8479

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Welcome to the board. We're in central Illinois. Small town called Bellflower near Champaign-Urbana. How about you? We haven't looked at the schedule too hard yet, but I imagine that we'll be trying to run in every race that is within realistic driving distance from us. It's funny, our options for bikes are also a CB350 or RD250. I think the RDs we have available don't meet the cutoff date, though. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the CB would be a more competitive machine. Wht do you think?
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead

Welcome to the board. We're in central Illinois. Small town called Bellflower near Champaign-Urbana. How about you? We haven't looked at the schedule too hard yet, but I imagine that we'll be trying to run in every race that is within realistic driving distance from us. It's funny, our options for bikes are also a CB350 or RD250. I think the RDs we have available don't meet the cutoff date, though. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that the CB would be a more competitive machine. Wht do you think?
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead

Sid and Alex,
    I would recommend that you look at both AHRMA and WERA. Given your locations, you will find plenty of WERA races close to you, too. Either the RD or CB are good choices. I would advise you to make as few modifications as possible to stat with. I would send money on tires and suspension and entry fees, before I looked at any engine mods. Initially, the bike will be faster than you are.

I will probably be at the AHRMA Road America event and the Mid-Ohio AMA/WERA event. See you at the track.
    Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Sid and Alex,
    I would recommend that you look at both AHRMA and WERA. Given your locations, you will find plenty of WERA races close to you, too. Either the RD or CB are good choices. I would advise you to make as few modifications as possible to stat with. I would send money on tires and suspension and entry fees, before I looked at any engine mods. Initially, the bike will be faster than you are.

I will probably be at the AHRMA Road America event and the Mid-Ohio AMA/WERA event. See you at the track.
    Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

quote:Originally posted by whiskeysid

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Royal Oak, MI. I'm about 30 minutes outside of Detroit. My plans are to try and make RA and Grattan or Bluegrass. If the budget will allow it, Barber would be awesome. I've been corresponding with a guy about his RD250 and am very interested. Not that I'm looking to run up front or anything but my first thought was that the 2-stroke would probably be more competitive than the 4 stroke. After doing a little research, I believe that they are very close to equal. With that said, I'm leaning a little towards the CB350, mostly because it's already in the garage. Keep in touch and I hope to meet up with you at the track this year.
    Alex Orille
    72 Honda CB350
    Ahrma #8479

quote:Originally posted by whiskeysid

Thanks for the welcome. I'm in Royal Oak, MI. I'm about 30 minutes outside of Detroit. My plans are to try and make RA and Grattan or Bluegrass. If the budget will allow it, Barber would be awesome. I've been corresponding with a guy about his RD250 and am very interested. Not that I'm looking to run up front or anything but my first thought was that the 2-stroke would probably be more competitive than the 4 stroke. After doing a little research, I believe that they are very close to equal. With that said, I'm leaning a little towards the CB350, mostly because it's already in the garage. Keep in touch and I hope to meet up with you at the track this year.
    Alex Orille
    72 Honda CB350
    Ahrma #8479

quote:Originally posted by kenessex

Sid and Alex,

Ken
    Hi Ken,
    Thanks for the good advice. If I stick with the CB, what tires do you recommend? And as far as suspension goes what can I do to make them better? Install proper springs for my weight? Refresh fluids? If I were to have them professionally looked at, who do most people go to? I will look into WERA as well. Hope to see you at the track!
    Alex Orille
    72 Honda CB350
    Ahrma #8479

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links