'76 CB500T, should I buy?
Close

This is a discussion on '76 CB500T, should I buy? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey guys, Im new to this forum, looking for a project bike for the spring/summer. I came across this '76 Honda CB500T. It has 14k ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hey guys, Im new to this forum, looking for a project bike for the spring/summer. I came across this '76 Honda CB500T. It has 14k miles, and looks pretty good for its age.

Here is the description of the bike:

"The inside of the tank is rust free and beautiful. It runs good once it is warm but will need some tlc after sitting since August. I think the starter is getting to the end of its life as well, it will still start it but doesn't sound great. It does have a kick start though. It had a new battery in July, along with spark plugs, carb cleaning, valve adjustment and probably a few other things I am forgetting."

I've been emailing him back and forth and he says the points need to be adjusted. Im not sure what this means, and not sure how much work it is. Im not afraid to get my hands dirty, like I said, Im looking for a project. But this is going to be my first older bike, and I dont want to have to put TOO much work into it just to get it running right. Also, I dont have a garage, so I will be working on it outside basically (or bringing parts inside to work on if I can).

So if you guys could advise me I guess, if you think I should buy it or look for another that would be great.

Also, what do you think its worth?

Thanks,
    Sal

Hey Sal, If your in Brooklyn,why don't you wonder over to the NYC Motorcycle Show. Look around and find the vintage guys.I think that the show started today. Look around here for some more information if you haven't already heard about it. A lot of them are on this list. Make some contacts and get some good information. Pretty decent bunch they will give you a lot of crap but they can be quite helpful.

SRR
    whats up essex high school class of 04. Been a while dude, seriously, wanna meet up at the moto show this weekend?
    Flattrackin.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

yo if you know SRR, your already there bro! head over to javits and meet the crew at NYCvinMOTO and VJMC.

walk up to geeto and ask him where you can find clubmans and how to install knee dents....don't worry your complimentary caferacer.net knee dent hammer is in the mail (thanks unga).

buy a men of works engineering calendar and help support an injured rider (juliet...best bartender at bar machless), then go out and ask erik to rent you a space at works, he might even buy you a drink!

welcome to the club bro....you're in the second best place ever......brooklyn, sorry philly is still the best!

cheers and thanks for filling out your bio.

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

The starter problem might be that the starter case screws are loose wich lets the startes twist and bind, mine does this alot. Point aren't realy hard to do. These old bikes can be tempermental ( understatement) but are not so bad if riden regulary and kept in tune. If you want a project this would certianly qualify.
    \'78CB750f,\'76 cb500t,\'5-CB/CL450 basketcases,\'68 CL175,\'66 CA77/in a CL72 frame,\'1971 DT1f,1988cbr1000f,1987cbr1000f

Don't buy it. Sorry to be a dillweed but if you are asking this question:
    "he says the points need to be adjusted. Im not sure what this means, and not sure how much work it is."
    The LAST thing you need is a 35 year old motorcycle. It will be an exercise in frustration with NO end.
    Step AWAY from the honda.

First off, never take any seller's word for what's wrong. Take someone with you who knows bikes and can give a good inspection. SRR, myself, AD, Rosko, etc all live in Brooklyn. Plus there is the NYC vinmoto list where several members know 500t's.

Second, Don't worry about buying a project. Old bikes need enough attention as it stands so if you buy a nice bike you will still get your hands dirty plenty.

Third, where in brooklyn are you located? parking a non running bike on the street is going to be hard in some areas.

Fourth, Tex is a smartass.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

geeto,

best part of walking around the show is when we came upon the cafe CB750 and you sighed, "oh great, it's got kneedents." "clubmans too."

that was definitely a highlight!

cheers,

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

yo scott whats up man? i kinda figured i would run into you in this process of looking for a bike...

so after thinking about it, you guys might be right about this bike being too much work for a newbie like myself. i am starting to consider a 1982 CB650, but im not too sure yet. its in excellent shape, runs like a top and looks brand new. the guy wants $1800 though, theres no way im payin even close to that. how much should i offer? and i dont see many of these bikes as cafe projects, is there a reason for that? any advice would be great, thanks

okay, heres another option...
    78 cx500
    http://burlington.craigslist.org/mcy/1567055147.html
    it has 21k miles. he emailed me pics, it looks immaculate

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links