Shitbox Cars - Page 7
Close

Shitbox Cars

This is a discussion on Shitbox Cars within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; quote: Originally posted by parks61 quote:early chevette the late ones weren't shitboxes? -parks ps... i think the chevette diesel had to be the gold standard ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Shitbox Cars

quote:Originally posted by parks61

quote:early chevette
    the late ones weren't shitboxes?
    -parks
    ps... i think the chevette diesel had to be the gold standard of their kind.
    Whoa wait a minute!!! I had one of them and no complaints. Treated it like it was expendable (it was). Pretty much every and any thing loose either hit that car or was hit by it. Birds, rocks, tree limbs, deer. It was pretty much like flying a kite in a tornado... in slow motion. By the end it was nothing but bones and string, but it still ran... every day, all day.

FR
    When my parent's 65 Ford Country Sedan (with the 348 V8 IIRC) finally kicked the bucket in '73 or 4, they replaced it with one of these;

Anemic inline 6, interior that looked and felt like it was assembled in prison, paint that started to fade the next summer. A huge dissapointment. She actually traded that on a '77 Rabbit. That caught on fire all by itself.
    FR

http://sidewaysnortheast.blogspot.com/

FR
    When my parent's 65 Ford Country Sedan (with the 348 V8 IIRC) finally kicked the bucket in '73 or 4, they replaced it with one of these;

Anemic inline 6, interior that looked and felt like it was assembled in prison, paint that started to fade the next summer. A huge dissapointment. She actually traded that on a '77 Rabbit. That caught on fire all by itself.
    FR

http://sidewaysnortheast.blogspot.com/

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Funny that there's such a hubbub about Toyota's non-problems. Brakes that take an extra 1/10 second to work on very bumpy roads? Accelerators that might get stuck on a floormat? Honkey, please...

Funny that there's such a hubbub about Toyota's non-problems. Brakes that take an extra 1/10 second to work on very bumpy roads? Accelerators that might get stuck on a floormat? Honkey, please...

Okay, time to contribute, though mine has almost been named already: 1984 Dodge Caravan, built on the K car platform. It was actually a great concept, albeit (like the basic mini) a few decades late catching on in the U.S. But the alternator was located at about front bumper level, just inside the right wheel, and every time we hit a big puddle they burned out. Oh, and the head gasket blew after the thermostat failed, and it was not covered by the "power train" warranty, although the burned out cam was. After 3 alternator replacements, we traded it in on a 1990 stretch Plymouth Voyager -- after first checking and seeing that the alternator had been relocated to high up at the rear of the engine compartment -- and that turned out to be a pretty decent car, especially for hauling a bunch of kids and hockey gear.
    Jack

Okay, time to contribute, though mine has almost been named already: 1984 Dodge Caravan, built on the K car platform. It was actually a great concept, albeit (like the basic mini) a few decades late catching on in the U.S. But the alternator was located at about front bumper level, just inside the right wheel, and every time we hit a big puddle they burned out. Oh, and the head gasket blew after the thermostat failed, and it was not covered by the "power train" warranty, although the burned out cam was. After 3 alternator replacements, we traded it in on a 1990 stretch Plymouth Voyager -- after first checking and seeing that the alternator had been relocated to high up at the rear of the engine compartment -- and that turned out to be a pretty decent car, especially for hauling a bunch of kids and hockey gear.
    Jack

EDIT: Holy sh*t! Didn't see that Javelin back there!

EDIT: Holy sh*t! Didn't see that Javelin back there!

JackA,

I had an 85 caravan with the 4 clyinder 5 speed. It was a GREAT car. I kept it 11 years. I did have the head gasket go though. Now that I think of it, I have had Chrylser mini vans for 26 years. My current 2002 has 191,000 miles. Two race bikes fit fine in the back, with the pit bike on the bumper rack.

My parents had one of those AMC Hornet sports. That WAS a shitbox. They traded in their 69 Rambler on it. My 16 year old brother destroyed it in no time. The only car my family had worse than the Hornet was a Gremlin.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Sponsored Links