BSA, Honda, or Yam? - Page 2
Close

BSA, Honda, or Yam?

This is a discussion on BSA, Honda, or Yam? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hey guys, thanks for the input, guys. The reason I want something small is because these bikes will just be for toolin around from bar ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hey guys, thanks for the input, guys.

The reason I want something small is because these bikes will just be for toolin around from bar to bar, or short jogs around the city. This will also be her first bike, so I wanted to keep it fairly small and weak.

The rd350 may actaully be too powerful, and a little too loud for the neighbors.

I'm leaning towards the 175 right now, but the honda dream has some really nice line. Its a little outside what I'm willing to spent on something like this tho.

Weak bikes are not necessarily a good thing for a new rider. There are plenty of situations I can think of where more power gets you out of trouble rather than in. A beginner bike should be light for sure, but weak....eh...not so much.

how it makes power is also important. two strokes are not really good beginner bikes because the power delivery isn't smooth (except the suzukis which are pretty docile).

a general rule of thumb for bike buying for beginners who may be intimidated by riding, is to buy a bike that has as much power as the average car you are going to see in traffic. too little and when that guy in the toyota starts tailgatting because she can't get away from the light fast enough it will probably scare her into thinking it is a bad idea. it is also a bad idea to buy a bike that you have to pin WFO to get anywhere, because it doesn't devlop throttle control and encourages bad habits.

to this end, I say scrap the cb 175 and look for a cb350, gs450, bmw r65, cb360, etc, if you live in the LGD, CBD, or uptown where there is heavy traffic. if you live on the west bank where there are roads that don't see a car all day and you can avoid the main blvds, you might not be so bad off.

correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you were buying two bikes, one for you and one for your wife. if I am mistaken, well you need to be clearer.

cafe bikes are not beginner bikes at all and the cafe riding position inspires bad habits that a new rider should not be devloping. I think you are asking your bike to be too many things. either you are buying a beginner bike for her, or a performance vintage motorcycle for yourself - they can't be both at the same time. you can buy a cb350 twin, let her learn to ride and then chop it down later, but if you put her on something with drop bars, she is going to drop it, most likely due to the heavy steering and twitchy nature of the bike. if you try to force your riding on her all you will get is a wife who is pissed off at you not being able to teach her how to ride, or pissed because you talked her into this dangerous sport. trust me I learned this the hard way.

honda 305 dreams used to be $1000 for a good clean running bike in new orleans in the early 2000s. I betcha if you look you can still find one.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Weak bikes are not necessarily a good thing for a new rider. There are plenty of situations I can think of where more power gets you out of trouble rather than in. A beginner bike should be light for sure, but weak....eh...not so much.

how it makes power is also important. two strokes are not really good beginner bikes because the power delivery isn't smooth (except the suzukis which are pretty docile).

a general rule of thumb for bike buying for beginners who may be intimidated by riding, is to buy a bike that has as much power as the average car you are going to see in traffic. too little and when that guy in the toyota starts tailgatting because she can't get away from the light fast enough it will probably scare her into thinking it is a bad idea. it is also a bad idea to buy a bike that you have to pin WFO to get anywhere, because it doesn't devlop throttle control and encourages bad habits.

to this end, I say scrap the cb 175 and look for a cb350, gs450, bmw r65, cb360, etc, if you live in the LGD, CBD, or uptown where there is heavy traffic. if you live on the west bank where there are roads that don't see a car all day and you can avoid the main blvds, you might not be so bad off.

correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you were buying two bikes, one for you and one for your wife. if I am mistaken, well you need to be clearer.

cafe bikes are not beginner bikes at all and the cafe riding position inspires bad habits that a new rider should not be devloping. I think you are asking your bike to be too many things. either you are buying a beginner bike for her, or a performance vintage motorcycle for yourself - they can't be both at the same time. you can buy a cb350 twin, let her learn to ride and then chop it down later, but if you put her on something with drop bars, she is going to drop it, most likely due to the heavy steering and twitchy nature of the bike. if you try to force your riding on her all you will get is a wife who is pissed off at you not being able to teach her how to ride, or pissed because you talked her into this dangerous sport. trust me I learned this the hard way.

honda 305 dreams used to be $1000 for a good clean running bike in new orleans in the early 2000s. I betcha if you look you can still find one.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

oh, and don't buy your wife anything british. women hate being stranded anywhere espically when it is something they can't fix on their own and they are at someone else's mercy. Also nothing without an e-start. lots of old bikes are designed for men, even the small ones, and some women just don't fit. my wife never rode her cj360 cause it was kick only and she banged her shin on the foot peg every time she kicked it.

I bought my wife a cb360 that had a wiring issue. it broke down on her twice early on, after that she never trusted it. Unless your wife works heavy machinery for a living, don't give her something that is going to require her to fix it or fiddle with it. When a woman wants to ride, she wants to be on a bike going down the road, when a man wants to ride he just wants to be near his motorcycle.

and brit bikes are too easy to steal for the little ghetto kids that live between magazine and tchipitoulias.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

oh, and don't buy your wife anything british. women hate being stranded anywhere espically when it is something they can't fix on their own and they are at someone else's mercy. Also nothing without an e-start. lots of old bikes are designed for men, even the small ones, and some women just don't fit. my wife never rode her cj360 cause it was kick only and she banged her shin on the foot peg every time she kicked it.

I bought my wife a cb360 that had a wiring issue. it broke down on her twice early on, after that she never trusted it. Unless your wife works heavy machinery for a living, don't give her something that is going to require her to fix it or fiddle with it. When a woman wants to ride, she wants to be on a bike going down the road, when a man wants to ride he just wants to be near his motorcycle.

and brit bikes are too easy to steal for the little ghetto kids that live between magazine and tchipitoulias.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

+1 to everything geet said.

Have you considered a modern bike for her? Something like a gs500 twin? Its air cooled fairly light has a semi neutral riding position, cheap to buy and operate, has electric start, cdi ignition and can keep up with most bikes when you are riding sane speeds....

I am all about introducing folks to cafe racers, but riding one is generally an acquired taste you want her to enjoy riding and develop good habits that will her safe and alive. Which is why my wife is still rolling on the xr70 around the yard and fields. She hasn't fallen off yet.

Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

+1 to everything geet said.

Have you considered a modern bike for her? Something like a gs500 twin? Its air cooled fairly light has a semi neutral riding position, cheap to buy and operate, has electric start, cdi ignition and can keep up with most bikes when you are riding sane speeds....

I am all about introducing folks to cafe racers, but riding one is generally an acquired taste you want her to enjoy riding and develop good habits that will her safe and alive. Which is why my wife is still rolling on the xr70 around the yard and fields. She hasn't fallen off yet.

Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Thanks guys. I decided to scrap the identical bike idea and talked her into something a bit more modern and better for the city.

I'm going with the rd350. Are there any years I should avoid? Or things I should look out for?
    It looks I can pick up a pretty clean one for about a grand in my area.

As for her, I talked her into my first bike. An '88 vtr250.

Thanks for all the support guys!

@geet I take it you lived across canal by tulane? We are over in the bayou right now, but looking at moving in to that area. The roads would probably treat my bsa a little better. Poor thing is beginning to fall apart. Lol

Thanks guys. I decided to scrap the identical bike idea and talked her into something a bit more modern and better for the city.

I'm going with the rd350. Are there any years I should avoid? Or things I should look out for?
    It looks I can pick up a pretty clean one for about a grand in my area.

As for her, I talked her into my first bike. An '88 vtr250.

Thanks for all the support guys!

@geet I take it you lived across canal by tulane? We are over in the bayou right now, but looking at moving in to that area. The roads would probably treat my bsa a little better. Poor thing is beginning to fall apart. Lol

If you're just going to tear it up anyway, consider a Honda CM400. They're ugly, but fun. A different seat, paint the tank- you're good to go.
    LOOK OUT IT\'S COMING THIS WAY!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links