Buell firebolt... - Page 2
Close

Buell firebolt...

This is a discussion on Buell firebolt... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Tex, the thing about cast vs billet trees billet has grain that is why I don't like to see pinching design on the steering stem, ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tex, the thing about cast vs billet trees

billet has grain

that is why I don't like to see pinching design on the steering stem, especially at the lower tree as it is the most heavily loaded area on most any motorcycle.

Just something to gnaw on...

Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

okey doke. so in this case your saying that "grain" in the metal itself can lead to fracturing?

the second biggest problem with them is when they do crash, the frame (gas tank) gets tweaked (normally by the clipons and controls) to where the insurance company will total it immediately. nothing says "very risky" to an underwriter than a person riding around with a gastank which has been "modified" from a crash.

tex

advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

It was meant as a good thing - sportster engines are anvils. I may not like HD culture, but I can't really knock evo and newer sportsters.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

In the HD world, anything under 1200ccs and made after 1970 is basically worthless. hard to sell, not much up top, and usually cost about the same. If it were a sportster you were looking at it would be less of a problem because you can just put the 1200 barrels on it and be done with it, but buells have different cams and heads so you would have to find 1200 buell barrels, heads, cams, etc...

you are buying a sporting motorcycle, stop buying the pussy versions and go for the gusto.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Yeah..... take a good look at the russian techno looking ones recently posted

Aluminum billet has grain like wood

It goes in one dierection to the other, likely side to side on those

Unlike cast, the cyclical failure rate of those can be computed

Had it been threaded or frictioned home, it wouldn't be a consideration

Many of the boeing parts I've machine were of 7075 that had to have multiple certification..... grain direction was always one of their required certs.

Makes the metal very expensive.

Without? Simple, over-engineer and over-build.

The 04 and later sporties arent as charming to me as the earlier ones.

The altered valve train geometry is one reason..... the transmission no longer having a trap door is another.

On that note, make sure the one you get, 04 or later has a transmission that shifts as slick as a F1 car

If it does anything stupid in the transmission, know it is a complete teardown and case split.

They do no longer pop out like a cassette and I've ridden quite a few that were in need before they clocked 10k.

Everything else is reasonably straight forward and simple, dont skrimp on the spark plugs, get iridium.
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

I certainly cant agree.... the 45 and 61 inchers after 1970 kick ass if they are R's.

And dont forget the G's which ceased in 73 after a run over 40 years. They were the most expensive in the lineup for all the years they were offered.

Nalin mods 883 heads to put on hotrods and buells, the cylinders are all the same.... the stuff is plentiful and inexpensive.

Outside of that, except for 883's being a tough sell because of screwy american thinking

a well prepped 883 kicks serious butt and is much more pleasant than the bigger slugs

883's were designed and sold to be closer to optimum once they had 1200 cc cylinder bores churning under tge heads that clearly never were designed to be optimum for 883 ccs

Harley's brilliant marketing, zero sarcasm, they know how their sheeples think, or don't

The xb9 as sold, is an anemic no resale slug.... they can be improved greatly

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

In the HD world, anything under 1200ccs and made after 1970 is basically worthless. hard to sell, not much up top, and usually cost about the same. If it were a sportster you were looking at it would be less of a problem because you can just put the 1200 barrels on it and be done with it, but buells have different cams and heads so you would have to find 1200 buell barrels, heads, cams, etc...

you are buying a sporting motorcycle, stop buying the pussy versions and go for the gusto.

i wouldnt have thought a xb9 was anemic at all...sounded big enough for me....but what do i know...
    ill take your word for it.
    the one im looking at (12r) has the factory race kit (maybe a pipe also dont remmbr), pegausus logo special seat, wrapped pipes, "good tires", black gold color combo, 7k miles and wants low 5's for the bike.
    now whats the consensus?
    random question:
    how come dealers in NY wont let us test ride bikes? out of state its possible right?
    1977 Suzuki Gs550 + parts bike, 1981 Suzuki Gs 850, 1983 BMW R80,1984 BMW K75, BMW K1100, 1973 Honda CB360t, 1969 honda 305 Dream,1966 honda 305 Dream, 1963 Honda 305 dream, 2003 Suzuki SV650s (5k miles), 2003 SV650s (7k miles), 2003 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 1981 Honda CBX six, Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1972 Yamaha DS7, 2003 Anniversary HD Sportster 1200C.

of course i needed to exclude XR harleys from my previous statements, but then again XRs aren't really sportsters so much as they are v-twin flat track murder machines forged in the fire god's kiln.

I don't know anything about the G's. I do know when I was looking at a '71 Ironhead sporty y'all told me to run away like it had herpes on top of its clymidia.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

They are pretty much sportsters with better heads

68-70 had the good clutch. Simple and it works well. The 72-73 had their own top ends but most have been updated.

77 was the first year for the georotor and several other goodies

The best of the IH, in my opinion, is the 84 1/2 as long as the alternator clutch is not taking a dump.

Thr older stuff takes lots of work to update and make reliable, just like brit bikes

They can be very solid though. Most people fail to gear them tall enough.

The 68 here is as tall in the primary as possible and is 25 and no more than 41 in the rear

Works out to over 150 at 6000 rpm

Loafs smooth as an electric motor at 90mph and will do it all day long.

Vince, you may be able to buy a new 1125 for the same money.

The 53 incher has ports too large, pretty sure, and you really have to wind them up to make them go.

The 74 inchers make 20 ft lbs more torque and its there from the basement to the attic.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links