Buell firebolt...
Close

Buell firebolt...

This is a discussion on Buell firebolt... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Im looking to potentially replace my duc with a Buell Firebolt 900 or 1200... what are the things to look out for on the buells? ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Buell firebolt...

Im looking to potentially replace my duc with a Buell Firebolt 900 or 1200...

what are the things to look out for on the buells? (like belts/valves for ducs what is it for buells?)

Any experience with them? quality, performance, value, problems...
    advice appreciated.

((other things im considering : 2002 aprilia tuono, other larger duc monsters, open to suggestions...nothing too ricey or RR ))
    1977 Suzuki Gs550 + parts bike, 1981 Suzuki Gs 850, 1983 BMW R80,1984 BMW K75, BMW K1100, 1973 Honda CB360t, 1969 honda 305 Dream,1966 honda 305 Dream, 1963 Honda 305 dream, 2003 Suzuki SV650s (5k miles), 2003 SV650s (7k miles), 2003 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 1981 Honda CBX six, Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1972 Yamaha DS7, 2003 Anniversary HD Sportster 1200C.

While I can't say much on what to look for (it is a fucking sportster motor fer crissakes what can possibly go wrong), I can say don't buy the 900, buy the 1200.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

+1 on Geets. I've had an S1 and an XB12R. Great bikes and very few issues. You can buy the 1200 as cheaply as the 900 so it's a no-brainer.

Belts are easy to replace but expensive so check the inner teeth AND the outside of the belt that rides on the tensioner assy. No valve adjustment as the engine uses hydraulic lifters. Brakes are great and pads are inexpensive. Plug replacement is a PITA so ask when they were last changed, Buell reccomends every 10K.

Other than that, not much to worry about. The bike handles great and has more power than most of us will ever need. I was an H-D and Buell mechanic in a former life so pm me if you need any help.
    \"I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.\"http://www.hogsbreathcycles.com/

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I think their top and lower casted clamps are complete shit. Potentially look into replacing them with some that are machined out of steel or billet. We saw a lot of these "totaled" by crashes at the track when we ran them in 2004 at TPM. I think they are pretty neat and fun to ride/race (uber torquey). Rake/Travel of these bikes on the track takes a bit to get used too as they turn in really easy, and i seemed to get head shake (potential tank slapping) out of them a lot (especially at VIR North). However, i'm a pretty light guy (135-145lbs), and have a hard time moving enough mass forward to control that on the bigger bikes.

Go for it!

Tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

I can see where Tex is coming from. I'm 175lbs and had no problem with head shake but a few owners did complain of same. My S1 was a complete tank slapping whore at any speed above 100mph. However, completely different bike and off the subject.

\"I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.\"http://www.hogsbreathcycles.com/

now I must ask the question: is the 1200 easy/easier to afford, maintain insurance and parts wise? Cuz ive always eyeballed buells, and i think i want one now. im 23.
    I know very little about sportster/HD engines in general...Geeto what did you mean by your comment-- is that a good or bad thing? (sounded like not much can go wrong with it).
    1977 Suzuki Gs550 + parts bike, 1981 Suzuki Gs 850, 1983 BMW R80,1984 BMW K75, BMW K1100, 1973 Honda CB360t, 1969 honda 305 Dream,1966 honda 305 Dream, 1963 Honda 305 dream, 2003 Suzuki SV650s (5k miles), 2003 SV650s (7k miles), 2003 Buell Firebolt XB9R, 1981 Honda CBX six, Royal Enfield Bullet 500, 1972 Yamaha DS7, 2003 Anniversary HD Sportster 1200C.

Senior Member Pinche Chingadera's Avatar
    Too bad I didn't have the cash at the time to pick up a new Buell since they were basically giving them away for under half of the new price. My dealership had a few 1125/rr going out the door for 5k and everything else for less. I wonder how many new ones are still in any dealerships?
    Once your dead, life just ain\'t worth living.

The Buells are pretty easy bikes. Handle well, great torque, and they make enough noise to make your neighbors frown. I picked up an O2' X1 for next to nothing as the guy was just loooking to pay off what he owed on the bike after loosing his job.

02' was the last year of the tube frame and i think the styling is much better then the new XB style. However, the new XB's do handle better.

Last year I took a trip to Road America with some friends and we had a Honda 919, an R6, some cruisers and me. My Bike could get all the 4 cylinders out of the hole and the R6 wouldn't pass me until 45mph and the 919 a little after that. Cliping at 130 down some old country roads sure was a blast and made the trip a little too short.
    Did you hear about the pirate with two wooden legs?

They caught fire and burned his ass to the ground!

Senior Member Pinche Chingadera's Avatar
    Those roads back by Road America are really nice. Can't wait this year for the vintage bike races again. Maybe this year I'll ride over as I'm just 45 minutes away on the other side of the lake.
    Once your dead, life just ain\'t worth living.

We always meet up in Ixonia (5 miles past Oconomowoc) and ride in from out there. The first time I couldn't figure out why I would drive an hour west to drive an hour north, but those roads were perfect. We usually go up for the AMA, but this year i am boycotting them becasue it is always rainy and cold. it will usually take me two days to thaw out from that ride.

This year is the year for Vintage Bike races!!
    Did you hear about the pirate with two wooden legs?

They caught fire and burned his ass to the ground!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links