Gurl's new bike!!! - Page 2
Close

Gurl's new bike!!!

This is a discussion on Gurl's new bike!!! within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; my fave triathlon is dirt track racing sat, poker sat night, round of golf on sunday. I hope to enter a couple of these this ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    bcr
    my fave triathlon is dirt track racing sat, poker sat night, round of golf on sunday. I hope to enter a couple of these this season.

good luck in your race. cheers, bcr

i built my racebike for well under $1800, it came in at 17lbs. the only carbon was the front wheel and seatpost.
    honk if youre horny.

quote:Originally posted by The Girl

Well, to completely 'fess up....the Tri I am doing for my first one is rather wimpy...1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike ride and 1.5 mile run. And since most of my energy (and mental well-being) will be spent remembering how to swim and breathe, ANY street bike is easier than my chunky mountain bike.
    Don't worry about tob tube height and all that crap. Stand-over height means nothing. If the distance between the pedals, seat, and bars fits you, then the bike works. You might need to move the seat forward to get it to work. Take a picture of you sitting on the bike, crank vertical, feet on the pedals, and hands resting on the top of the brake hoods. You can see what needs to move around based on that.

This site has some good info on getting a bike to fit.
    http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/wheels/wheels.shtml

Good luck with the tri. I love doing them, mostly because of all the hot, fit women wearing tight clothing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Stand-over height means nothing.
    you're what 6-3 ung man? no bike will present a stand over issue for you. but for the less vertically endowed, getting off a bike with too high a top tube while fragged out after the bike section of a triathlon with slippery roadie shoe bottoms could be a bummer (or some other part "-er".) i, for one, like the top tube a safe distance away from my program.
    ...$30.00...you get what you pay for. if the bike is well prepared, lubed, and set up, it will work fine. weight only matters if the tt course is higher at the finish than at the start. tt and tri bikes aren't necessarily light.
    -parks
    I\'m not handsome

Ok, yeah taken at an extreme a 10' bike would not work. +/- and inch or so, not a big deal.

leo
    quote:my fave triathlon is dirt track racing sat, poker sat night, round of golf on sunday
    That, my friend, would be a trifecta.

Other then that, Gurl? Top tube? 18lbs. vs. 23? This, that the other? Can you reach the pedals? Ride the bitch. And kick ass in your race.

Cheers

Ubiquitous entry level road bike, circa 1992-ish.
    6 spd shifter should have indexing and friction mode available.
    $30 is a deal.
    Put real, round chainrings on it, new tires, have the wheels trued and tensioned and throw that saddle on the Interstate. A good saddle is key. In fact, pull the one off your Cannondale and use it. Your butt knows it.
    Sizing wise, it does look a tad big. Can The Girl stand over the top tube? A frame to large may be made rideable, but by shortening the stem and moving the saddle forward, the handling and feel of the bike is off. Let alone the riders position relative to the bottom bracket.
    If all the parts look good, maybe consider a frame swap in the near future. All the parts there will fit any other 1" steerer tubed bike of the general era.
    Enough room for fenders...would make a great commuter.

NE
    Subscribe to SIX HOT ISSUES!! of WarmPipe for only $29.99!!! Interweb NOW!!!!!

originally posted by retrotony:
    http://hell you have dawes cycles ov...u bloody yanks

Black pudding. You lot can keep that shite...
    \"Hey, McCloud! Get off of my ewe!\"

Trevor,
    \'72 Honda cl350 (sold)

\'80 gs450E, the \"spooky \'Zuki\"

\'04 Kawasaki Ninja 500

quote:Ubiquitous entry level road bike, circa 1992-ish.
    6 spd shifter should have indexing and friction mode available.
    $30 is a deal.
    Put real, round chainrings on it, new tires, have the wheels trued and tensioned and throw that saddle on the Interstate. A good saddle is key. In fact, pull the one off your Cannondale and use it. Your butt knows it.
    Sizing wise, it does look a tad big. Can The Girl stand over the top tube?

Ok. First, forgive any improper bicycle lingo. It's not my area of expertise. And thanks for all the replies. Much more info than I was able to dig up on my own, and exactly what I was looking for.
    6spd is indeed indexed. New tires are in the works, as these are all but falling of into piles of dust. Wheels look to be remarkably straight & true. As for seat... this comment made me laugh; Bought the bike minus seat & pedals. Both of those come from my first ever 10 speed, which is still with me from the 70s (God knows why). I had already suggested her Cannondale seat. Gurl can stand over it, barely flat footing it. Pedaling, she can almost extend her leg fully, with a slight bend in the knee. We got it together this afternoon, just so she could give it a test ride, and she says it's comfortable.
    I'm most intrigued by your chainring comment. Knowing nothing about bicycles, I've swallowed every bike shop proprietor's ravings about elliptic sprockets. Can you expound?

As far as being a good commuter, work for her is literally in her backyard, across the road. She does, however, have a "Rails to Trails" recreation trail across the street, so it may well end up seeing much use there. I consider it $30 well spent.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

curb man eyeballed the bio-pace rings (i missed)...round rings fell out of favor briefly around the late eighties on mt. bikes...many good bikes came with bio-pace or oval-tech rings. the trend didn't last long. funny that non round rings are again appearing on the tt/triathlon scene. if you can salvage some round rings from a doner bike, make the play. but spending a ton of dough on that detail (getting new round chain rings) will yield negligible returns on a budding new racer. +1 on the seat and tires...money well spent.
    -parks
    I\'m not handsome

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links