Gurl's new bike!!!
Close

Gurl's new bike!!!

This is a discussion on Gurl's new bike!!! within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; No, not that kind of bike. She's participating in an upcoming triathalon (Iron Goddess!), and we found this on the side of the road for ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Gurl's new bike!!!

No, not that kind of bike.

She's participating in an upcoming triathalon (Iron Goddess!), and we found this on the side of the road for $30. Never heard of them, but it'll serve her much better than her Cnnondale mountain bike. I know there are some bicycle freaks on here. What can you tell me (her) about it (other than, "You can't go wrong for $30")? Anybody ever heard of Dawes?
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

http://www.dawescycles.com/

supposedly UK's oldest mfg of bikes. doesn't mean they are good, just old. Like the schwinn of england. the more modern ones are made in asia and are junk - the built in england ones are better. I see you have the union jack sticker next to the crank, look around other places on that frame and make sure it is not one of the asia ones.

word on the street is that they are mid-level, comparable to trek. The only issues I have heard about is bad brazing on the frames for certain years, so check the frame for any cracks. if it doesn't have them by now they probably won't show up in the next 1000 miles.

The galaxy range is supposedly quality, the lightning with no name parts is not. no idea about the ultra.

I would weigh that sucker. Most real high end road bikes are 16-18lbs, a mid level road bike is 20-26lbs. If it is outside of that she is going to be pushing a lot of steel down the road and should consider making it lighter.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Looks like the ultra was one of the older models and good quality:

http://www.commonwheel.org.uk/dawes-ultra

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

hell you have dawes cycles over there? is nothin of ours safe from you bloody yanks
    'old hooligan...

The frame on that one is too big for Gurl. The top frame tube is about at her hip level, and needs to be a few inches lower than that. My guess is that frame is about the right size for someone 6' foot plus.

no, theyre not that good...but 30 bucks is a nice price for a complete bike. recently theyve sunk down to walmart levels with the dawes ''lightning''... not UK made anymore. i had a LEADER frame i built up for races...super light and cheap and built in the usa.
    honk if youre horny.

Well, to completely 'fess up....the Tri I am doing for my first one is rather wimpy...1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike ride and 1.5 mile run. And since most of my energy (and mental well-being) will be spent remembering how to swim and breathe, ANY street bike is easier than my chunky mountain bike.

What has been the most amusing today is watching my wrench toting man get it all gussied up for me. Imagine what he would do if it had a motor in it!

It has very slim aluminum rims that are marked 'made in Europe'. There are stickers on them that says Vuelta by Rodi. So near Judey can figure it is not associated with Dawes USA. It does have a Union Jack sticker that says "British Made"...(sorry RetroTony). It did come with a Cannondale front brake and handy preston valve pump made by Blackburn.

Best part of it? It now has the name Blue Racer...local snake found in this area.

In the next couple weeks I have to beg Catboy to come over and share his wisdom...and tires.

the bike itself is older, and british made unlike modern dawes. the vuelta rims, if old, are italian. if new, theyre made in taiwan.
    honk if youre horny.

leo
    quote:the Tri I am doing for my first one is rather wimpy...1/4 mile swim, 10 mile bike ride and 1.5 mile run.
    Nothing wrong with that. Although it might not sound like much, the transitions are TOUGH. Especially the bike to run. Even after only 10 miles, your legs will feel like concrete as you try to get them to do the run thing. A little advice; if you haven't heard it already, practice the transitions as part of your training. That way you won't be surprised when your legs don't want to work! Good luck.

I'm about ready to transition from a beer into my Martini. Much easier.

Cheers,
    Leo

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    For $30.00 you can't go wrong, it will cost way more than that for a woman's saddle (wider across back and shorter in nose, if you go carbon/Ti start looking around $120.00~$200.00)
    Probably want a shorter stem, women generally have shorter torso and longer legs than men, pick up a cheap mountain bike or even BMX one, bars are all 7/8".
    Look like touring rims, probably 20~25mm?
    18~20lbs bikes started around $4,000 last time I looked
    If its under 30lbs, don't worry about it, going to be way better than any mountain bike for a 10 mile bimble .
    Only downside I see is non-indexed gearchange, need to do some miles to get used to it.
    There is going to be a massive amout of information online about set up, triathlon is slightly different to 'normal' cycling (friends son was doing competitive triathlon for a few years)
    You can always fit mountain bike bars after your done, older road bikes make pretty good hybrids.
    PJ
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links