Home made hard bags
Close

Home made hard bags

This is a discussion on Home made hard bags within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I'm trying to make a set of hard bags for my XS650-based adventure touring/street scrambler/dual-sport/whatever bike. I like the look of the simple, rectangular boxes ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home made hard bags

I'm trying to make a set of hard bags for my XS650-based adventure touring/street scrambler/dual-sport/whatever bike. I like the look of the simple, rectangular boxes that you see used on modern dual-sport bikes, but I don't want to pay the hundreds of dollars that they cost.
    Ammo cans, specifically the 20mm can (17"L 14"T 8"W) would work well other than the fact that they weigh more than 20 lbs. each. I found some plastic ammo cans call Sport Utility Boxes that would work well but they don't make them large enough.
    Does anyone know of any source for a relatively inexepensive light weight, water-tight box of approx. the above dimensions? Plastic, fiberglass, aluminum would all be okay.
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'72 Yamaha R5/RD350 hybrid
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead
    -a bunch of other old Jap bikes

Take a look at what this guy did over on Maximum Suzuki. I think this is exactly what you're looking for and he shows pictures of how he did it.
    Waddaya think?
    http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/forums...?topic=77906.0
    If you beat me all you have done is beaten an old fat guy. But If I beat you then you have been beaten by an old fat guy!

Surprisingly you can source real hard bags on ebay for dirt cheap prices. I picked up a pair for 75 bucks a while ago. You can also pickup soft type bags for cheap money (under 150) at any dealer or online. I like the idea that soft bags can be thrown on the bike at a moments notice and are really light weight. Depending on the hardbag, they have to be hard mounted on the bike. (Some can be removed with the mounting brackets remaining on the bike.) Can you make your own hard bags - sure - will they look like an old ammo case - depends what you start with and your fabrication skills....

I have a 1/4 fairing w/bag set up I can mount on my CB750 when I take the bike on a road trip. Could this be the year of the bag'ger look??? Maybe...
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Maximum Suzuki is telling me that thread's "off limits" to me. I don't realy want to sign up just to look at one thread. Is there another way to view it?
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead

Didn't know about the "off limits" deal whiskey, so I went and looked at the post again and the guy has a photo album set up with a bunch of his stuff and lo and behold the build is there too! Try this, it should work this time as I clicked on the "Preview Reply" button and it took me right to the page that the build is on. http://kphenix.smugmug.com/Motorcycl...79568569_GE9GH
    Here's a pic from the Suzuki site as a taster.
    If you beat me all you have done is beaten an old fat guy. But If I beat you then you have been beaten by an old fat guy!

the idea of the hard luggage that actually is squared off and looks like ammo cans

is that they are more efficient storage than irregularly shaped rounded corner stuff

Ammo cans of 7075, 3 or 6 series ti

well they would be perfect

less than 8ish pounds, no wasted space, water tight, rust proof and will outlast several bikes
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

I don't know what ammo cans you are buying but most of the ones I buy at swap meets are maybe 10lbs tops. Some of the older ammo cans used by the army air corps and later the airforce were aluminum. I bought a shit load of these in the 1990s at a vintage airplane swap meet. they are still around if you look.

so let me get this straight, you want a box, made out of sheet aluminum that you can use as a saddle bag. I hate to be this dude but really - is a box too complicated a shape for you to make out of sheet alloy? I may sound like a douche but I am pretty sure you can make these yourself to whatever size you need with some pop rivets, sheet aluminum, window caulk (to make them water proof) and other things you find at the hardware store. If you are wondering how to bend alloy without a metal brake, you can just put it over and edge and hit it slowly with a hammer (a shrinking hammer would work here but I imagine if you are careful enough you could do this with a claw hammer). If you ever wanted to learn metal working this is an excellent first project.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

A buddy of mine used a 2 foot long piece of 18" poly irrigation drain pipe(tube?), wrapped it in black vinyl and made the ends out of a couple black bucket lids, the kind that you get at the gardening center at Walmart that make it like a stool. While not anything overly cool to look at, it held lots of his stuff, strapped to the back of his cruiser something or other. I think empty it might have weighed 3 pounds max.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

I considered making my own and it is within my skills to do so. However, I don't really like rivets unless they're the "Cherry Max" type aviation spec rivets which I don't have. I'm not set up to weld aluminum, either.
    I might look into the aluminum ammo cans. I found a few resources that list the 20mm steel ones that I was considering as weighing 22 or so pounds each.
    -the Rad Baron
    -\'72 CB350
    -\'72 Kawasaki H1
    -\'77 XS650
    -\'47 Harley U flathead

Cherry Max Rivets for sale:
    http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo.../cherrymax.php

Aircraft Spruce is so much fun to peruse.
    Dictated but not read.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links