VIncent Hondas - Page 2
Close

VIncent Hondas

This is a discussion on VIncent Hondas within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I don't think it is all brand engineering and badge marketing, so cool your jets leo. I think it has become too complex for motorcycle ...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VIncent Hondas

I don't think it is all brand engineering and badge marketing, so cool your jets leo. I think it has become too complex for motorcycle makers to produce their own engines on startup bikes what with emissions and consumer expectations being what they are and all.

Barney Li was pretty into his vincents, and the bikes he planned for production, though not my cup of tea, were really interesting designs full of a lot of innovations bent on capturing the riding spirit of a vincent with new components. I think the RC51 engine was a good choice for this kind of project, and he must have had someone at honda believe in him because Honda rarely gives out engine supplier contracts these days.

unless you are building 100% spot on replicas of 50s bikes the new ones are not going to be old vincents, but maybe that was the point. They don't exactly look like harleys or any other kind of crusier either. They look like useful motorcycles with lots of power.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67
    I think it has become too complex for motorcycle makers to produce their own engines on startup bikes what with emissions and consumer expectations being what they are and all.
    I'm sure Kenny Dreer could attest to that.

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67
    I think it has become too complex for motorcycle makers to produce their own engines on startup bikes what with emissions and consumer expectations being what they are and all.
    I'm sure Kenny Dreer could attest to that.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

leo
    It looks like the fucking space bug in Aliens for Chr*st's sake.

Cool my jets? Damn it, it's ugly. And even if taste not with standing, a Vincent is all about that motor. Out sourced? Fuck that. You own the name? Own it!

Not that that he has all the answers, but:

http://www.falconmotorcycles.com/blo...onneville.html

I don't know where he gets his money, but, at least a contrast to an out sourced vision.

From Wika:
    "History

Vincent Motorcycles, "the makers of the world's fastest motorcycles", began with the purchase of HRD Motors Ltd less the factory premises, by Phil Vincent in May, 1928.

HRD was founded by the British Royal Flying Corps (RFC) pilot, Howard Raymond Davies, who was shot down and captured by the Germans in 1917. Legend has it that it was while a prisoner of war that he conceived the idea of building his own motorcycle, and contemplated how he might achieve that. It was not until 1924 that Davies entered into partnership with E J Massey, trading as HRD Motors. Various models were produced, generally powered by JAP (JA Prestwich Industries) engines.

Unfortunately, though HRD motorcycles won races, the company ran at a loss, and in January 1928 it went into voluntary liquidation. The company was initially bought by Ernest Humphries of OK-Supreme Motors for the factory space, and the HRD name, jigs, tools, patterns, and remaining components were subsequently offered for sale again.
    [edit] Phil Vincent
    Main article: Phil Vincent

Philip Vincent was advised to start production under an established name. He had built a motorcycle of his own in 1927 and in 1928 had registered a patent for a cantilever rear suspension of his own design. With the backing of his family wealth from cattle ranching in Argentina, Vincent acquired the trademark, goodwill and remaining components of HRD from Humphries for £450 in 1928.

The company was promptly renamed Vincent HRD Co., Ltd and production moved to Stevenage. The new trademark had "Vincent" in very small letters above "HRD" written large. After World War 2 Britain had an export drive to repay its war debts, and the USA was the largest market for motorcycles, so in 1949 the HRD was dropped from the name to avoid any confusion with the "HD" of Harley Davidson, and the motorcycle became The Vincent.

In 1928 the first Vincent-HRD motorcycle used a JAP single-cylinder engine in a Vincent-designed cantilever frame. The earliest known example extant exists in Canberra, Australia. Some early bikes used Rudge-Python engines. But after a disastrous 1934 Isle of Man TT, with engine problems and all three entries failing to finish, Phil Vincent and Phil Irving decided to build their own engines."

"build their own engines".

Precisely.

A Vincent with an out sourced engine: blasphemy. Even if it is well outsourced via Honda.

Cheers

leo
    It looks like the fucking space bug in Aliens for Chr*st's sake.

Cool my jets? Damn it, it's ugly. And even if taste not with standing, a Vincent is all about that motor. Out sourced? Fuck that. You own the name? Own it!

Not that that he has all the answers, but:

http://www.falconmotorcycles.com/blo...onneville.html

I don't know where he gets his money, but, at least a contrast to an out sourced vision.

From Wika:
    "History

Vincent Motorcycles, "the makers of the world's fastest motorcycles", began with the purchase of HRD Motors Ltd less the factory premises, by Phil Vincent in May, 1928.

HRD was founded by the British Royal Flying Corps (RFC) pilot, Howard Raymond Davies, who was shot down and captured by the Germans in 1917. Legend has it that it was while a prisoner of war that he conceived the idea of building his own motorcycle, and contemplated how he might achieve that. It was not until 1924 that Davies entered into partnership with E J Massey, trading as HRD Motors. Various models were produced, generally powered by JAP (JA Prestwich Industries) engines.

Unfortunately, though HRD motorcycles won races, the company ran at a loss, and in January 1928 it went into voluntary liquidation. The company was initially bought by Ernest Humphries of OK-Supreme Motors for the factory space, and the HRD name, jigs, tools, patterns, and remaining components were subsequently offered for sale again.
    [edit] Phil Vincent
    Main article: Phil Vincent

Philip Vincent was advised to start production under an established name. He had built a motorcycle of his own in 1927 and in 1928 had registered a patent for a cantilever rear suspension of his own design. With the backing of his family wealth from cattle ranching in Argentina, Vincent acquired the trademark, goodwill and remaining components of HRD from Humphries for £450 in 1928.

The company was promptly renamed Vincent HRD Co., Ltd and production moved to Stevenage. The new trademark had "Vincent" in very small letters above "HRD" written large. After World War 2 Britain had an export drive to repay its war debts, and the USA was the largest market for motorcycles, so in 1949 the HRD was dropped from the name to avoid any confusion with the "HD" of Harley Davidson, and the motorcycle became The Vincent.

In 1928 the first Vincent-HRD motorcycle used a JAP single-cylinder engine in a Vincent-designed cantilever frame. The earliest known example extant exists in Canberra, Australia. Some early bikes used Rudge-Python engines. But after a disastrous 1934 Isle of Man TT, with engine problems and all three entries failing to finish, Phil Vincent and Phil Irving decided to build their own engines."

"build their own engines".

Precisely.

A Vincent with an out sourced engine: blasphemy. Even if it is well outsourced via Honda.

Cheers

bcr
    fill up that glass Leo. If I could blow a ton on a prototype it would be for a Britten, for all the obvious reasons. cheers, bcr

bcr
    fill up that glass Leo. If I could blow a ton on a prototype it would be for a Britten, for all the obvious reasons. cheers, bcr

leo
    Yeah. Right?

The wife was just pointing out that you can say in ten words what it takes me a hundred.

Oh, well.

Good seeing you guys. Always too short and hectic.

Cheers

leo
    Yeah. Right?

The wife was just pointing out that you can say in ten words what it takes me a hundred.

Oh, well.

Good seeing you guys. Always too short and hectic.

Cheers

Call whatever you like. It doesn't matter. Its a BSA Gold Star, a Matchless G50, Manx Norton, 7R Ajay. Buy the name and stick it on the tank. At least when the Summerfied brothers made a Manx Norton it looked ike an effin Norton!
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links