i sold that bike... - Page 2
Close

i sold that bike...

This is a discussion on i sold that bike... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; suddenly the euro style licensing seems sensible: -at 16 you can buy 16hp max 125cc - need to take riding lessons and in-traffic riding test ...

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    suddenly the euro style licensing seems sensible:
    -at 16 you can buy 16hp max 125cc - need to take riding lessons and in-traffic riding test + swerve test
    -at 18+ you can get a fresh license for a bike that has max 31 or 36hp or so. After a year it becomes unlimited license.

or something along those lines. Can't remember if a person can go straight to big bikes 18 if they had the 125cc license for 2 years
    -

also and at least he didn't die. A friend of a Belgium buddy of mine sold a blackbird cbr xx to some kid who killed himself like 2 miles from the spot where he sale was made.
    -

im very glad he didn't die. that helmet saved his ass.
    I think the graduated license is a great idea. but i'm also a bit libertarian and hate nanny laws... i am a bit conflicted, but it would have probably saved this kid some bills. and a lot of pain.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Many moons ago when I lived and raced mx in Japan I sold one of my race bikes to a kid (my age back then) who did kill himself on the bike. He was warned it as fast as hell and not a toy, but he bought the bike anyways. I felt pretty bad about that until I found out he was out drinking while trail riding the bike...
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

well initially this kids mom called and claimed he plowed through an off ramp. (as in went straight through it or something) but the tow truck driver who carried the bike off informed us otherwise. i felt bad that he was too inexperienced and maybe was going 50 or something through an off ramp and couldn't get it leveraged over or something... going over 100 w/ a new engine, on a new bike w/ new tires... is dumb as hell. not much sympathy after that. i doubt this kid was drinking though he didn't seem like the type.

this is all about 3 weeks after a friend of this same kid wrecked his monster edition zx6r after 4 days of ownership.
    that kid however had owned an inline 4 sport bike before.

if you own a monster edition bike. don't be surprised if your insurance rate goes up.

quote:Originally posted by kerosene

suddenly the euro style licensing seems sensible:
    -at 16 you can buy 16hp max 125cc - need to take riding lessons and in-traffic riding test + swerve test
    -at 18+ you can get a fresh license for a bike that has max 31 or 36hp or so. After a year it becomes unlimited license.

or something along those lines. Can't remember if a person can go straight to big bikes 18 if they had the 125cc license for 2 years
    Going a loooong way back and if Tony reads this he may correct me:
    When I was living in England the only two wheel motorized vehicle I was legally ALLOWED to operate from 16 to 17 was a moped. I believe after I turned seventeen I could move up to a 125. From 18 on if I wanted to move up to say a 400 I could, but that was the max CC's I could ride. If I wanted to move up to a larger displacement then I had to start the whole proccess over again. Each licence was either a two or three part program.
    In Canada we have courses that train you on 125's and 250's, which upon completion of your exit exam and road test you can then go out and buy what ever your heart and wallet desires. I think it's wrong but hey, that's just my opinion.
    I know to some it's viewed as Draconian but putting young kids that think they are indestructable on bikes that can compete in races straight out of the box is just wrong, again, my opinion.
    That's all I have to say on this subject......for now.
    If you beat me all you have done is beaten an old fat guy. But If I beat you then you have been beaten by an old fat guy!

I have an easy solution to this - institute a "dram shop" law similar to drinking and driving laws. if the kid leaves the place with too much sportbike and without a proper motorcycle license then it is back on the shop that sold him the bike. The mechanism is already in place for DWI laws, it requires you to use "sound judgment" rather than a rigid set of rules and it makes the shop invested in the well being of the customer.

I don't think I need to say anything to you about the evils of selling a 17 year old kid a zx14 other than to say you should fucking know better.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

geeto? so why should anyone <s> do i </s>have to be that kids parent? other than his actual parents.

and let alone the fact that i'm not much older than he is.

i think i did my job as an advisor in that while i didn't encourage him to get it. and on every corner i advised him to stick with the 900 vulcan, both financially and in order to learn to ride. i told him and his mother straight that he doesn't know how to ride it...

but ultimately i sell bikes.. and someone bought one.

thinking for someone who may or may not be capable on their own is not my job. and quite frankly isn't a bartenders job either.

also.. he's been legally able to ride that bike for nearly two years.

I have a friend who sold a 16 year old (his dad, actually) his racing Acura TSX, and told him, "Take it to the dealer and have them reset the computer. this machine should not be driven by a 16 year old, or anyone without racing experience." But in the end, it's the dad's call. If the parent won't protect the child, who will?

The thing about capitalism is that it is for-profit. IF it was illegal to sell this cycle to this person or if there were legal consequences on the dealer in these instances, then the dealer has incentive to be more responsible. I think that people should take responsibility for their actions, and this was obviously a bad idea. Business culture says you make the sale because you are there to sell, and because the dealer is there to profit from selling. Corey, seems like you took the right stance, and whether you should have made the decision for him, or whether that would even have been possible, I don't know. I do know that shit like this shouldn't happen. 17 is too young to die. At least he didn't.

In my opinion his mom should be jailed.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links