where can I get 15hp capable 2speed transmission - Page 2
Close

where can I get 15hp capable 2speed transmission

This is a discussion on where can I get 15hp capable 2speed transmission within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I didn't even think about it but yeah, if there is no current going through the motor it freewheels so you really wouldn't need a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I didn't even think about it but yeah, if there is no current going through the motor it freewheels so you really wouldn't need a clutch. However, how do you get that to work with regenerative braking where the motor goes from being a motor to an alternator as you slow down?
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

quote:Originally posted by mlinder

Again, torque and HP are different ways of expressing the same thing. HP at a given RPM is always the same torque, and vice-versa.
    Right, but gas v. electric they devolop their power much differently.

On equipment that can be ran either/or the easy rule of thumb is double the electric hp for a gas engine. i.e. 10hp electric = 20hp gas

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

I didn't even think about it but yeah, if there is no current going through the motor it freewheels so you really wouldn't need a clutch. However, how do you get that to work with regenerative braking where the motor goes from being a motor to an alternator as you slow down?
    It's done via the controller.

I'd agree that at least 2:1 would be a good baseline although reasonably irrelevant.

Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

It's done via the controller and most common ev motors will actually generate dc when motored.

Im not very experienced with the latest ac high zoot stuff and havent studied it due to apathy.

I'd agree that at least 2:1 would be a good baseline although reasonably irrelevant.

Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Get one from an old Schwinn bicycle?
    Don't scooters have this kind of tranny?

(I have no idea)
    LOOK OUT IT\'S COMING THIS WAY!

quote:Originally posted by Ratty-550

quote:Originally posted by mlinder

Again, torque and HP are different ways of expressing the same thing. HP at a given RPM is always the same torque, and vice-versa.
    Right, but gas v. electric they devolop their power much differently.

On equipment that can be ran either/or the easy rule of thumb is double the electric hp for a gas engine. i.e. 10hp electric = 20hp gas

That's like saying 10 gallons of water is the same as 20 gallons of paint thinner...

Horsepower is horsepower. Please don't think I'm trying to come off as a dick, I'm not. But measurements are measurements. They don't change depending on what you are measuring. A cubic foot is a cubic foot, regardless of what's occupying that space.

The issue that's run into with electric motors is that the torque curve over RPM is flat and available instantly, which is completely different than internal combustion engines, which can be hard on attached machinery.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

I think you hit on it Mark....

It's perception. That10hp electric hits RIGHT NOW with all the torque it's got to offer.
    The gas engine has to spool up, so a transmission that's going to be run with an electric motor must be stronger than what a gas engine needs. At 0rpm and full mechanical load that electric motor can wreak some havok.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

Wow..... now the next thing for practical applications that can be thorny

would be bearing speeds

As in very few motorcycle or even cvts are designed to handle 15k input shaft speeds regardless of the load

Oh, good point. Hadn't even considered that far ahead yet.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

It can get even stickier when doing gear reduction gear boxes and on the over-run if the motor's bearings are already marginally engineered, if durability is a concern.

EV applications are generally a bit easier when using a motor which operates with shaft speeds more similar to a diesel engine than a F1 engine even though there are ways to make most anything work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links