where can I get 15hp capable 2speed transmission
Close

This is a discussion on where can I get 15hp capable 2speed transmission within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; This is quite off topic - but its sort of for a bike concept (in my head). I am playing with a concept of a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is quite off topic - but its sort of for a bike concept (in my head).

I am playing with a concept of a supreme range aerodynamic electric motorbike. Electric bikes work ok without transmission but the currents go up and efficiency down on low speed starts and accelerating - or top speed has to be compromised. A simple 2 speed transmission with 1:2 and 1:1 ratios would be ideal remedy for the issue.

As this forum has people of various backgrounds I was wondering if someone would know from what kind of machine one could nick such a transmission.

Planetary 2 speed would be ideal - at cruising the transmission would be efficient 1:1 straight through.

thanks.
    -

What about a belt type torque converter?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_21024_21024

Know that one I linked won't take your proposed power, but there are snowmobile clutches that style that handle big hp.

Actually now that I think more;

Had a skidloader with that style drive belt. The shiv on the the drive pulley was hydraulically actuated so you could push the two halves together to increase the diameter. Fairly simply you could have an infinitely adjustable trans between your top and bottom ratios.

Why not a CVT from a moped?
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

if you have the skills, you could always rob the tranny from a hondamatic like a cb750A or a cb400A (or the suzuki version GS450A suuzkimatic) Since these are shared case trannys you would need to build a case for them but there are only 2 gear sets and anybody handy around a machine shop could work it.

Also, lots of kit airplanes use gear reduction drives with multiple speeds to drive the props with engines not designed with big heavy propellers in mind. Not cheap but not super expensive.

Here is a dumb idea - why not a regular motorcycle tranny with a clutch and everything. 1) they are planetary, 2) older seperate 4 speed trannys are cheap, espically off brit bikes like RE, norton, BSA. would give a more motorcycle feel to it. Personally while I think direct drive is fine, the noise of a 14000 rpm electric motor droning on the highway would annoy me.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Motorcycle transmissions are planetary?

Tell me which ones.

An amc gearbox for various norton, matchless and a few others was actually a box designed for 20 horses. Gearing in and out can result in most any ratios you desire.

Seems to me that the max load would likely be a more important consideration for your exercise.

HP considerations using electric motors are a bit deceptive.
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

actually I have no idea how brit trannys work. The japanese use planetary trannys in most of their bikes. the 1986 ninja 1000r I have has one....I think....
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

actually I have no idea how brit trannys work. The japanese use planetary trannys in most of their bikes. the 1986 ninja 1000r I have has one....I think....
    Wow.
    No kidding?
    I must be living under a rock, I haven't seen them..............
    Glad the internet experts are out there to save us from our ignorance.

I would think the torque rating for the tranny would be more important than hp, since torque is an actual measurement and horsepower is a made up number that comes out of crashing numbers together.

even though it is not planetary I still think a brit 4 or 5 speed isn't a bad idea. it is designed for the torque and hp ratings similar to a small electric motor. having 4 speeds may be a bit much but at least you get up to speed a lot faster.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Again, torque and HP are different ways of expressing the same thing. HP at a given RPM is always the same torque, and vice-versa.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

Electric motors can be operated via two controllable inputs

voltage and amps

Heck, they can be coupled to a gear box or final drive sans a clutch and function very well because of this, unlike an internal combustion engine

Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links