Got a TIG :)
Close

This is a discussion on Got a TIG :) within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Craigslist score Bought a TIG today. Two year old Lincoln Precision TIG 225. Seller runs a welding shop out of his garage. He got an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a TIG :)

Craigslist score

Bought a TIG today. Two year old Lincoln Precision TIG 225. Seller runs a welding shop out of his garage. He got an ongoing job welding thick aluminum parts together for a machine shop so he upgraded to a larger, water-cooled machine.

Life's good...

Need to get a tank and tungstens.

The seller said he'd gone to 90/10 Argon/CO2 on his MIG. I'm thinking about putting pure Argon on mine so the tanks interchange. Thoughts on this?

Do I really need a dedicated grinder wheel for sharpening tungstens? Don't care about wrecking the wheel. I'm talking more about contamination.

I borrowed a friends soldering gun to fix a wire today. Fiaed the connection and melted 3/4 of the damn insulation on all the damn wires in there.

I'm happy for YOU though.
    LOOK OUT IT\'S COMING THIS WAY!

Yes on the wheel.

Mig doesn't work well with the stuff which makes tig do its best.
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Straight Argon for TIG, for cheap MIG use CO2, for better MIG a double or tri mix depending on what your welding.
    If you beat me all you have done is beaten an old fat guy. But If I beat you then you have been beaten by an old fat guy!

question, i'm looking at getting a small tig welder. I'm looking at the miller 150...
    http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...xstar_150_sth/

Anyone got experience with this machine?
    http://www.slingshotcycles.com
    Stainless braided brake lines and other odds and ends.
    Enter coupon code "caferacer" during checkout for 15% off

i thought about getting that that exact model (maxstar sth) because it's got HF and can run on 120... obviously you can't do aluminum or anything thicker than 3/16" (maybe less on 120 power?)....luckily my new place has a miller syncrowave, so i'm good for now.

Could have gotten a tig kit for my mig machine for about half of what I gave for the machine I did get. Decided that a tig setup that wouldn't do aluminum was just silly.

Everyone overrates their machines. I'm afraid you'd be really disappointed at what that little Miller'd do in real life, esp on 110.

The seller got both mine and his new one from Indiana Oxygen. Said they're best price and free ship. You may want to check them out.

Got a tank today. Had a hard time communicating with the girl at the welding supply place, she sounds cute though. Sent the old man to pick the stuff up.

Got a 125 cu. ft. tank, thought I was buying a 330. How does argon use compare to MIG?

Got 3 lbs mild steel rod, 1 lb aluminum. Didn't research rod before I called, thought I'd get a tech. What should I be using for general purpose aluminum rod?

Haven't even looked at what I got for tungstens. They didn't have some sizes. Just read a thing that said pure tungsten for aluminum is a joke, to use the same ones(minus point) for both mild steel and aluminum. Opinions?

Nice score cant go wrong with that unit. I have also thought about a maxstar but would prefer to be able to do aluminum also, so I have been looking at the diversions' from miller.

The red stripe works well, 3/32" will do 90% of most anything you'll tackle for mc geared general purpose.

I do like the exotic tungstens when doing expensive metals and welding

Filler....

Diameters sized appropriately for metal thicknesses

4041 for aluminum repairs that are cosmetic and able to be blended in with polish

5300 series for structural

Mild steel I keep 70, 80 and 90 series on hand

I have some 100 series but have never used it.

Stainless I keep 308, 309, 310, 316, 321, 347

I recommend a 17 series air cooled torch, gas lenses collected for 0.020", 0.040", 1/16", 3/32" and 1/8" tungstens

5/32" if you will be doing heavier stuff

Helium/argon for aluminum and magnesium rocks

99 ni, 60 and 70 series sticks along with a stinger will have you pretty indifferent to the mig unit.
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links