anybody know air compressors?
Close

This is a discussion on anybody know air compressors? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I just picked up a 3HP Black Max (Sanborn) air compressor. 120 bucks, twin cylinder, includes assorted fittings, a line oiler, line dryer, several hoses, ...

I just picked up a 3HP Black Max (Sanborn) air compressor. 120 bucks, twin cylinder, includes assorted fittings, a line oiler, line dryer, several hoses, paint sprayers, even a grease gun.

It seems to work just fine. I started it up, then let the tank empty through the bottom valve. There was a little bit of water (a few tablespoons worth) in the tank which I drained - a shade rusty, but not bad. Seems to work great. I don't think it has been run in a couple years (at most).

Anybody know much about this brand? Tank seems solid, should it be ok?
    "This site is bullshit."

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    Should be drained after every use (or daily if you use it a lot)
    Cylinders and drive HP is pretty meaningless to be honest, the only thing that really matters is SCFM, (cubic feet per minute at Standard Temperature) or, how much air it will put out during continuous use
    If tank fails there may be shrapnel going everywhere, it's the main reason compressors get scrapped.
    Its possible to get tank ultrasonic tested but was pretty expensive last time I checked (about 1994)
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Hydro testing is cheap.

I don't guess I come close to draining mine every day. I figure at about a couple hundred gallons, there is plenty of room to see what comes out every month or so.
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    I was going to say I drain mine every month or so, but it didnt look or sound right
    Reality isn't the same as 'should be'

PJ
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

ha! Yeah I drained my big nasty bitch the other day....forgot for a while......like....a year or so.
    Now I know why it's been so effing heavy to roll around. Hunnerd gallon tank at about 1/3 full is heavy as shit!

Stinky rusty water....yeck
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

I run my compressor on marvel mystery oil. From time to time I run some in the air intake since the biggun is never used for painting and doing so cuts down on the tanks internals rotting.

Even when I've not drained the tank for a year or better, there has never been more than a couple gallons accumulated. Not very humid in the shop.

If I used it for painting, it would be heavily filtered on both sides with an electronic automatic drain and I'd likely hook up one of those refrigerated moisture seperaters.

If yours isnt ancient and pecking at the tank all over with a pointed tip body hammer doesnt result in any music of concern, run the heck out of it.

Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

I do intend to use this for painting, so I guess I should avoid putting oil into it

It really wasn't much water. It is humid around here, so I intend to empty it after use every time.

When you're done using an air compressor, should you let off all the pressure, or just enough to blow out any collected moisture?

Hack, thanks for the tip on testing the tank. Didn't think of that.
    "This site is bullshit."

I'd clean the tank before getting serious.

Drain it by opening the drain cock, water flow will increase after the air pressure drops.

Get good moisture traps and learn how close or far away they should be from the supply tank.

Sponsored Links