this is what we have to deal with in texas
Close

This is a discussion on this is what we have to deal with in texas within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; 15k? http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/1814402691.html...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

honk if youre horny.

Honda made 7414 of the sandcast CB750s before switching to die cast cases. So if you have a CB750 with an engine number 1000001 to 10007414 you have a pretty rare bird. Sandcasts are the Holy Grail of CB750s. Many were lost when chains broke and destroyed the cases. Dealers would simply replace the cases with new ones. No one thought about sandcast vs. diecast cases back then. The engine numbers of the above Honda fall into the correct range of numbers. 15k is a pretty good price assuming its original and not molested. He shouldn't have any trouble selling it.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

15K is a little high because of the condition (it may be all original, but it ain't pretty) but really, for $5K more you can get a restored one from vic world. I figure $10k is prolly a better price considering the cost of restoring one is expensive. but really it is a special bike.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

so why doesn't it have a matching frame and engine number?

educate me oh wise ones of the SOHC CB750.

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

Well to start with, the place selling it (action cycles) are a bunch of scammers. The whole father son story in the ad is bullshit. They're the same people who just did the "mystery warehouse" bit a week ago. I'll bet you 10 of tex's elvis(elvish?) donuts that not only is it not titled, and most likely stolen a few years ago... but also isn't a sandcasted 750.

15k is still too high for a sandcast bike in that bad of shape
    honk if youre horny.

was the mystery warehouse for real?

tex

It was a warehouse full of bikes alright. Junk parts bike, title issues on all of them, overpriced...rusty heaps of crap.

The whole story behind it was bogus. It was actually all a junkyard going out of business sale. A shitty junkyard called ACTION CYCLES in san antonio texas.
    honk if youre horny.

wow! well they did one heck of a job marketing it to the public. i feel bad for anyone that made a long trip with a truck and trailer there.

thanks for the heads up.

tex

quote:Originally posted by texmawby

so why doesn't it have a matching frame and engine number?

educate me oh wise ones of the SOHC CB750.

tex
    honda cb750s don't have matching engine numbers. with the earlier ones it is a range (usually with in a hundred numbers or so), with later ones as long as it is the right year.

initially, as it was told to me by those more knowledgeable than I, it was because honda insisted on quality checking the engines and pulled them off the line at random. they were sometimes put back into the line at random so it is possible as production went on to get later bikes with earlier numbers. Also replacement cases came with no numbers, and if you lunched an engine the shop sometimes stamped the frame number in its place - this is the only legit time a cb750s frame and engine numbers should match, any other time and I would suspect fraud if the numbers matched.

with sandcasts there are only 7000 or so bikes, and that includes prototypes. Andy Morris has access to the prototype that was at the 1968 NY motorcycle show and I am pretty sure it doesn't have matching numbers either. It is pretty hard to fake a sandcast engine, either it was made in a lost mold process or it isn't, plus the numbers will give it away. if someone is even halfway good at using google they should get enough clues to look for on the bike (lotus root exhaust, wrinkle tank, cut fenders, serial numbers, rough cast gauge drives, carb tops, etc) to validate it. It is a red one so there are less of them.

From what I can tell the crappy photo shows a bike with the hand cut fenders which makes it likely a sandcast. who cares if the story is legit, if it is he will have paperwork to back it up and justify the high price, if not then martians might as well gave him the bike.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

that's what i wanted to know....thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links