Cafe Racer Forum banner

Ok talk me out of it

3K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  champ 
#1 ·
So a guy I know has offered to trade me a 74 Iron Head sportster for a running cb750. He was riding the bike last week when he lost spark. MY cb750 is a 78 F on the other hand, with low miles, and is in super shape but I never use it and have considered selling it several times in the last couple of years.

#3 ·
pure anecdote: a guy I have bought parts from owns several triumphs and older harleys. he has always advised me to avoid ironheads in favor of other versions due to reliability issues.

I have no personal experience with HD aside from this, however. I have been considering picking up a '76 sportster myself since the price is right.

#4 ·
I like the old Iron Head Sportsters, when they are running. I had a combonation of a 71 though a 75 with only kick. the thing would run great at 70 degrees, but would crap on its face on anything above or below.

I would say tell him to get the thing sparking and he's got a deal.

#5 ·
Awful lot of Iron heads are badly maintained, even by 'Harley' techs.
If it's had exhaust valves every 8~9,000 miles (or less) it hasn't been serviced properly
It's a real simple low power motor

PJ

#6 ·
Yeah I know the thing is a bowling ball. But as a friend of mine put it yesterday: how many inline fours do you own already? The other point he made is that it is easier and cheaper to own an HD and it will always be worth more than the honda you are trading.

I want the bike to build a street tracker with. I have no designs on keeping it in its current configuration.

So let me dump some gas on this fire by describing the bikes and giving some more detail:

1974 IH sporty. My buddy bought this bike 3 months ago from long island. Aside from a 70's style skinny saddle, 2" over stock forks, drag specality tach, and forward controls the bike is stock and the frame uncut. The biggest issue it has is wiring, it looks like the previous owner actually trashed the harness and individually wired everything which leads to the loss of spark, and other electrical issues the bike has. Really I have never seen so many 3m connectors in all my life. Other than that the bike is oil tight, shifts fine, doesn't smoke, and doesn't sound like a wheat thresher is inside the cases. I remember when he bought it and the bike ran fine. I don't know the mileage since it is missing a speedo, and the motor looks pretty fresh, as in it looks like someone either rebuilt it or cleaned it up really well. It could stand to have a set of tires as the ones on it are showing signs of starting to crack, but there is plenty of tread. It is an electric start only model which makes me really leery of it since all my 70's bikes have kick starts. However, I have seen how hard it is to kick an HD and I am glad it has e-start. It does have one other issue - if you pull the brake lever on the handlebar 10 times 9 times it will operate the brakes and work excellent, 1 time it will pull to the bar with very little resistance. It is pretty random when it happens and there are no signs of leaks - I think it is the mini master cylinder on the bike.

The plan? lower it in the front, junk the risers, fix the electrical, and ride it the rest of the summer. After that it is new shocks, new xlcr tank and seat, and a renthal bar over the winter.

1978 CB750F: the bike I am trading him is a 6000 mi original that I ave owned since 2005. It has a few tasteful upgrades like twin pot front calipers, drag bar, bar ends, mac muffler, etc. It runs fine but needs fork seals. I never ride it (never registered it), and it just sits around. I figure it is worth about $2000 (the sporty is worth that as well). The only other notable thing about the bike is I bought it off Rosko - it is how he and I met. Every time I go to sell this sucka something goes wrong on it or I change my mind, I always took it as a sign to not let it go.

The potential new owner - is a really nice guy, but not a very good motorcycle mechanic. I don't feel he takes care of bikes very well and he is kind feeling his way through things with this thumbs. I worry if I give him my cb750 it will be painted flat back and trashed before the year is out. He is mechanically inclined but not expirenced when it comes to bikes. I am also sure he is reading this right now. He has also owned 4 bikes in the last 6 months, constantly horse trading and getting bored with them. I know I can't save every cb750 on the planet, but still this one is pretty nice.

So know that you know more details what do you think? Pull the trigger and don't look back? or should I pass?

oh and by the way If I do pick it up I am going to paint it like a bowling ball.

#8 ·
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

...oh and by the way If I do pick it up I am going to paint it like a bowling ball.
there's the clincher. do it.

seriously, though. you've had the 750 about five years. you don't regret it, obviously. five years from now, which of the two would you rather have--assuming for a moment that all your dreams of a well-oiled bowling ball paint street tracker renthal bar'd madness machine come to fruition?

#10 ·
Do the trade, but get first right of refusal when he decides to get rid of the CB750. That way you can have the sporty and get the 750 back, later.

Ken

#14 ·
My buddy has a KR motor in his shop, bult by perewitz in the 70's Been trying to buy it from him for years, he says it looks better in the window than in my garage. He also has a home made turbo setup for it and the frame it was in when the bike was in easyriders in 1975.

Knowing my friend, right of first refusal might mean a month from now. which is useless to me, plus if I had the cash I would just buy it outright.

#15 ·
Right of first refusal might give you the chance to trade him into something else you have. When he is tired of the CB, get him on a Kaw triple. Then move him onto a Cafe CB750, then move him onto a Chopped Cb750. If you get a little cash from him on every swap, it is like him renting your bikes and you still have the Sportster. This guy could be a gold mine for you.

Ken

or save your money and sell a bike to get this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nort...iewItem&pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item2a088a0c03

#17 ·
quote:Originally posted by jaguar

i say do it.

do you think you could trade him for a different cb?
sure I could but I don't have any other Cb's I want to part with that meet his requirement of being a running reliable bike.

#18 ·
Do it. Ironheads are great bikes when sorted out and I have every confidence that you can handle it Geeto. Plus, they make awesome street trackers and they look sweet crammed in a featherbed frame.

#19 ·
I gave you my opinion at Mid-O. Do it. They can be very cool bikes. Or pieces of shit. You decide, via the old time and money formula.

Leo

PS- Jes*s Ken. This education thing not working out anymore, and you took a "How to be a Divorce Lawyer" correspondence course.? Man, you are looking way down the road. Good sound legal advice. I'm going to call you when lease renewal time comes around.

PPS- You're really fucking with him by throwing in the Norton thing. Leave it to a good legal mind to toss in a red herring.

#20 ·
Do it. They are just motorbikes. It's not like we're talking about your kids.. Oh. You feel like they are....

Much as I love my bikes, once they are gone, they are gone. I agonize over letting one go and once it's gone I'm knee deep with the next love of my life. Life is too short for those sort of regrets.

If you want the Hoggly Doggly and the CB will fund it, go for it. Go have some fun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.