Cafe Racer Forum banner

Mods Vs Rockers Cleveland August 27-29‏

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  BB73 
#1 ·
#4 ·
quote:RetroTony Posted - Aug 03 2010 : 4:46:10 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
did they have mods and rockers in the usa in the 60's?
No. And we don't really have them now, except when some people have a Mods vs. Rockers event and then they dress up like Halloween.

Speaking of Halloween, I heard that you Brits don't really celebrate it, which I found odd 'cause I thought it originated in ye olde tyme
Medeival England...What's the truth on that one?

#5 ·
you heard wrong, brits definately celebrate halloween big style, everyone (except me) dresses up and party's.
nowadays kids go round askin 'trick or treat', a phrase stolen from you guys which is causing a stir amongst the tradionalist Brits.

#7 ·
There is a whole show about Halloween on TV, check around October for either the tavel chanel or History.

Historian Nicholas Rogers, exploring the origins of Halloween, notes that while "some folklorists have detected its origins in the Roman feast of Pomona, the goddess of fruits and seeds, or in the festival of the dead called Parentalia, it is more typically linked to the Celtic festival of Samhain, whose original spelling was Samuin (pronounced sow-an or sow-in)".[1] The name is derived from Old Irish and means roughly "summer's end".[1] A similar festival was held by the ancient Britons and is known as Calan Gaeaf (pronounced Kálan Gái av).

Snap-Apple Night by Daniel Maclise showing a Halloween party in Blarney, Ireland, in 1832. The young children on the right bob for apples. A couple in the center play a variant, which involves retrieving an apple hanging from a string. The couples at left play divination games.The festival of Samhain celebrates the end of the "lighter half" of the year and beginning of the "darker half", and is sometimes[2] regarded as the "Celtic New Year".[3]

The ancient Celts believed that the border between this world and the Otherworld became thin on Samhain, allowing spirits (both harmless and harmful) to pass through. The family's ancestors were honoured and invited home while harmful spirits were warded off. It is believed that the need to ward off harmful spirits led to the wearing of costumes and masks. Their purpose was to disguise oneself as a harmful spirit and thus avoid harm. In Scotland the spirits were impersonated by young men dressed in white with masked, veiled or blackened faces.[4][5] Samhain was also a time to take stock of food supplies and slaughter livestock for winter stores. Bonfires played a large part in the festivities. All other fires were doused and each home lit their hearth from the bonfire. The bones of slaughtered livestock were cast into its flames.[6] Sometimes two bonfires would be built side-by-side, and people and their livestock would walk between them as a cleansing ritual.

Another common practice was divination, which often involved the use of food and drink.

The name 'Halloween' and many of its present-day traditions derive from the Old English era

From the WIKIPEDIA

From American Influence it has changed allot throughout the world, I guess we water down everything until it becomes a marketing scheme...

#8 ·
I always wondered what the hell "Samhain" meant -all I ever knew was that Glenn Danzig used it for the title of his band after the Misfits...

BTW Whitehurst, I still have every intention of sending some brew your way, but every free penny for the next month or so will be devoted to getting my bike up and running...

#10 ·
quote:Originally posted by RetroTony

"Hey, McCloud! Get off of my ewe!"

trying hard to think whos song that is an anogram of..

hey you get off a ma cloud..
but who sang it?
The Stoned Rollers.

#11 ·
No problem cafe350, I will sit and wait until the day the package arrives..

Im not really into the Rocker Mod thing. Not into dressing up to fit in, not into parade accordion rides, I guess I like to do my own thing.
The original State side one is held in SD and my friends and I meet up and do our own thing then head out to the meet up. I have allot of friends that are into vintage and even some that dress up - so go for it if you have small ones - lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.