advice needed lads
Close

advice needed lads

This is a discussion on advice needed lads within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; screw it I need to go on a long ride. Friends all ready to go on their big cube twins, problem is the only machine ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

advice needed lads

screw it I need to go on a long ride. Friends all ready to go on their big cube twins, problem is the only machine I have registered at the moment is my gt185. She runs like a dream, new lazertech tires, rear shocks, chain, sprockets ect, problem is i'd be doing a 660 Mile round trip from sydney to coffs harbor.

Am I just an idiot for running this thing over 5 thou revs all day for that long? Any special precautions on a little stroker for distance?
    That's like, your opinion, man.

I wouldn't do it. I have no specific knowledge about how long a 185 can bear those revs. Probably longer than I think, so long as the oiling system is working well. But I have an aversion to using the wrong tool for the job.

Do you have a bigger bike that is unregistered? Here in CA, we can get a temporary permit for vehicles that are being moved from one location to another. It's valid only for a day or two. Maybe you could check with your roads department and see if they can give you a temp. permit.

I have my brothers t500 running nicely, problem is he's let the registration lapse. It cost around 900 bucks all up to rego the thing as well. No temporary permits I can see.

I would take it, but the ramifications of getting into an accident, or getting caught here are huge.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

That bike doesn't even reach peak til 7500 rpm. I can't see how 5k rpm all day would be an issue.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

$900?!? Jesus. Do ya'll fund your roads department entirely through reg fees?

Don't get me started on the fees. Everyone over here complains a lot, but they don't actually do anything about it. When they organize a protest ride like they did in melbourne recently, I think only around 100 people showed up and they shot themselves in the foot anyway saying stupid shit to the press. But I digress...

anyone done long distance on a little stroker? moto giro types?

I watched Stephen Flach ride a 160 over 200 miles a day for 5 days straight in HOT California in July. And that was PRE-SlimFast Stephen Flach.
    BBM\'d again and again

My brother rode an RD400 from Wisconsin to Alaska and back. It is bigger than yours but WI to AK round trip is a lot more than 660 mi. I would take it and not worry about it, it will be fine The only thing I might do is try one heat range colder plug. It probably runs a B8ES and I would see if I could run B9ES as long as they didn't foul before it warmed up.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

What ken said. And bring plenty of extra plugs....
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

Little bigger, but my 550's happy place is about 52-5400 rpm, around 72 mph. It'll run faster, but the mileage goes way down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links