hot rod musings.
Close

hot rod musings.

This is a discussion on hot rod musings. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; My father has a 27 T 'glass roadster running a buggy spring (stock T design spring) and ladder bars with a Mustang 9". Turtle deck ...

hot rod musings.

My father has a 27 T 'glass roadster running a buggy spring (stock T design spring) and ladder bars with a Mustang 9". Turtle deck with no seat or trunk (just a compartment behind the seat, the body is one piece). 350, rockcrusher, hurst shifter, side pipes, straight axle up front, drum brakes, big and littles etc. The whole death trap enchilada (read: very fun).

The buggy spring just isnt cutting it as after about a hundred years its worn out plus some other issues. And its stiff as hell, will beat the fillings out of your teeth. Also its beating the vintage body up pretty bad too.

I been musing over us putting some coilovers on the back of it. I know I will need to add either a watts link or panhard bar (probably the latter as its simpler and cleaner).

Whats the spring rate on full dress Harley rear shocks? Newer ones like 2000 up? Big heavy bikes. These are pretty commonly available low mileage. The racer in me says slap some Afcos on it and call it a day, but it is a REALLY light car so I am probably not gonna find anything used with proper rate springs anyway (not to mention valving for a live axle in this app). And new ones eh...not really in the spirit of this car lol.

Anybody here run those adapters to take a regular bearing end 2" body shock and put a 2.5" ID spring on them?

Any thoughts?
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

My thought is to start looking for some used Jaguar coil overs. Once a common hot rod rearend, because of the independent suspension and because they're just plain pretty, especially chromed. Jags aren't really sports cars (XKEs & derivatives excepted, of course) , more of a comfy touring sedan, so the spring rates are bound to be better than what you have.

BTW, Ford was the last major American automobile company to abandon obsolete transverse leaf springs (spare me your diatribes about Corvette), despite spirited entreaties from his own son, Edsel, and also very late to adopt hydraulic brakes - post WWII (1949 shoebox IIRC) in both cases, unless I am mistaken. General Motors & Chrysler had abandoned both years earlier. Although Henry was cutting edge with his employment of assembly line tech early on, as time passed, he was quite an anachronist.

... among other things.

Final bit of Ford trivia for the moment... Ask anyone in MI for whom they work, and the answer is very likely to be "Ford[u]S</u>"
    Don't know why, but nobody here seems to work for Ford.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

You know, original model t springs were oversprung for the original steel body cars, having them on a fiberglass hot rod just means that they are gonna beat the piss out of you. Any spring shop worth it's salt can get you a properly setup spring, and some of the newer composite mono leaf style springs are light years ahead of the old steel stockers.

Coil overs on a real hot rod just seems so.....well.....

By the way I want pics
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I threw away half a dozen coilover kits for steel bodied shocks a while back.

Stick a panhard bar on it. Mount it as high as you can get it. You shouldn't get enough body roll for track deflection to even matter. Watts links are ugly and within the dimensional confines of a T chassis the arms would be too short to work nice anyhow.

Wheelbase, total car weight, rear wheel weigh and any supplier, Art Morrison for instance, can get you the right springs. Morrison says they can do it with just rear wheel weight.

Those cheapy generic steel-bodied shock that everyone sells should be good enough. You're not going to roadrace.

Use poly ended shocks and panhard bar ends. You'll never get the clunk out on the street w/heim joints.

Don't be surprised if it still rides like shit. There's natural bindage in a ladder bar suspension.

Get it to my shop this winter and I'll do the fab work for giggles.

You know I hadn't thought of that. I have two decent shocks from my old xk6 (one dismemboweled itself) someplace. Just need a couple of springs and retainers.

Ford went to juice brakes in 40 but they were non self energizing. Centering the shoes without the Ford tool is a bit of a pain but not impossible (hint chalk helps). I think 49 was the first self energizing brakes. Atleast on the smaller trucks. Prior to 40 (from 36 I think) brakes were cable actuated. Prior to that rods came and bellcranks. 49 was the first year for an open driveline and independent front suspension. Also the last new car to carry the flathead. Henry was adamant about torque tube suspension and straight axles. I think open drivelines were on big trucks (think model AA) as early was 28 but not sure.

Corvette and old fords only share the name. Definately a different animal. 2wd willys overlands used a really bizzare setup where the leaf was the lower control arm. Some golf carts still do this

I will get some pics posted. The chassis to the car was started in the 60s. I think the body may be one of the first that speedyway or something sold. It was on the frame in the very early 70s. My father is the only person to ever drive it. It makes me wana build a track t sometimes. But I gotta get my shorty crewcab finished so I can haul shit. There is a definate size limit to what you can stuff inside of and on top of a jeep cherokee!

A new leaf would be nice. If we go coilovers they will be painted black. Frame is black car is black engine is chrysler industrial red. Wheels are patinaed aluminum slots (matches the patinaed mickey thompson valve covers and exposed muncie with two ears welded back). Interior is weathered plywood. One day I will upholster it...
    Bike:
    Buell X1
    Honda S90 (box of parts)
    Honda CB750C (runs)
    The Others (mostly rolling wounded)

My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody\'s got a mortgage on my soul. I own it. Free and clear. -Phil Lovecraft

Posies can probably grab a buggy spring off the shelf with a much more survivable spring rate, and for less than dropping the dosh for coil overs and panhard rod fab.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

Sponsored Links