Got my Triumph running today
Close

This is a discussion on Got my Triumph running today within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Some guy came into my bike shop and gave me this old Triumph sport bike. He knew I was into motorcycles and had no use ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Some guy came into my bike shop and gave me this old Triumph sport bike. He knew I was into motorcycles and had no use for it anymore. From what I can tell its a late 60's which would make it one of the Raleigh made Triumphs. Triumph sold theior bicycle division in the 50's, 54 I think, to BSA. BSA continued production for a few years before selling it to Raleigh in the early 60's I think. One of the cool things with this bike is it had a 40 spoke rear wheel which is fairly odd in the bicycle world but seems very common in the moto world. The wheels were Sturmey Archer and the rear hub had some broken internals so I am currently searching parts to rebuild the original wheels. Dont know if anyone here cares but I think its a cool bike. Good for supply runs while working in the garage.

Nice bike, Jimmy! At least you don't have to worry about electrical problems!

Catboy had one in his garage, into which he & I always planned to put one of those Chinese bicycle motor kits...
    Moved out of his condo recently & the bike was left behind. I had no room for it in my carport, or I would have kept it myself (I wasn't really much help to him while moving out, other than muscle when throwing the 'Fridge off the upstairs balcony. Just an excuse to drink some beers). Of course, his was a girl's bike. Too bad you didn't post last week. I'm not sure which wheel it had, but it was either the rear or the front, and I'm sure he would have made you a deal.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

40-spoke was the standard for Raleigh etc. rear wheels. 40-spoke Sturmey Archer 3-speed hubs are readily available on eBay.

P.S. I think it's a cool bike!
    Jack

Man I was tipsy....that was catboy's place? The duct taping fridge end over end was the best part of the story.
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

Yes it was the standard for a while, I have a good replacement sturmey archer hoop. The hub I have is a single and would like to keep it that way. Haven't found any singles online. One of the coaster brake tabs broke off internally so if I can get some internals I'll be set. And yes it's too bad I didn't post earlier but that wheel was probably 3 speed.

A true Gentlemans mount.
    Which internals are busted? The little cross bar that the indicator rod threads into....
    Check out Sheldon Browns(RIP) stuff at Harris Cyclery. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/english-3.html
    You're probably already on it.
    A couple of my Gentlemens Express'

NE
    Subscribe to SIX HOT ISSUES!! of WarmPipe for only $29.99!!! Interweb NOW!!!!!

the hub on that triumph i recently pitched was a SA three speed internal. great shape too. those are all over ebay. the singles are a different story.

check out sheldon brown's stuff on the harris site posted above. he's the geeto of the limey three speed world. RIP sheldon.
    iphone generated fag

Yea Sheldon was definately the guru, the industry lost one of the greats. I have pretty much every imaginable NOS part for all the old hubs (hell of a yard sale find) just no SA single speed stuff. I dont like the look of cables so I might just modernize it and lace up one of the new SA 2 speed kick back hubs. I have those engine kits at the shop, but I feel like I should get my T250 running before messing with more engine crap. Besides I should be pedaling anyways to work off all the beers I consume cursing at my bikes in the garage.

The triumph has been logging some cargo hours:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links