Craigslist Ads - Page 2
Close

Craigslist Ads

This is a discussion on Craigslist Ads within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; What are you buying, Matt? Or looking at, or......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist Ads

What are you buying, Matt? Or looking at, or...
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

something to keep me busy over the winter and hopefully make some beer money in the spring. missed a clean, running CL350 in howell for $150 by a day! lost sleep over that one!

buy fall, sell spring.
    iphone generated fag

something to keep me busy over the winter and hopefully make some beer money in the spring. missed a clean, running CL350 in howell for $150 by a day! lost sleep over that one!

buy fall, sell spring.
    iphone generated fag

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:Originally posted by catboy

i don't think i'd be as cool as to let some cat dig into the top end of any bike i was selling,
    when selling non running two strokes this is almost a requirement. Then again, with two strokes, unless you are looking at a GT750, it is usually 4 bolts and the head is off.

what happened to you catboy that prompted this thread?

The newest problem with vintage bike buying, at least in brooklyn, is that so many dipshits who haven't a clue as to what they bought are now selling their over their head projects. Often these bikes are awesome deals because something as simple as a mile of coiled fuel line under a tank is beyond the hipster mechanical lexicon (true story - I once bought a cb750 that had 4 feet of fuel line between the tank and the carbs, paid $300 - pushed the bike around the corner, cut the line, and rode it home). However since these pie eyed kids didn't bring any tools with them when they bought it the first time, the prospect that someone would show up with tools when they sell scares the shit out of them (esp if they are the same age as me or close to it). I get more resistance from the 20 somethings selling derelict hondas than I get from the 50 somethings selling backyard bikes.

The above paragraph serves as a warning to all you newbies out there: if you don't know what you are doing, don't just try and fake it, bring someone else along who at least knows how a motorbike works. This also means don't just show up with tools now when buying bikes unless you know how to use them! if you break someone's bike because your internet directions on how to do a compression test were not clear you are gonna have to buy that bike.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

quote:Originally posted by catboy

i don't think i'd be as cool as to let some cat dig into the top end of any bike i was selling,
    when selling non running two strokes this is almost a requirement. Then again, with two strokes, unless you are looking at a GT750, it is usually 4 bolts and the head is off.

what happened to you catboy that prompted this thread?

The newest problem with vintage bike buying, at least in brooklyn, is that so many dipshits who haven't a clue as to what they bought are now selling their over their head projects. Often these bikes are awesome deals because something as simple as a mile of coiled fuel line under a tank is beyond the hipster mechanical lexicon (true story - I once bought a cb750 that had 4 feet of fuel line between the tank and the carbs, paid $300 - pushed the bike around the corner, cut the line, and rode it home). However since these pie eyed kids didn't bring any tools with them when they bought it the first time, the prospect that someone would show up with tools when they sell scares the shit out of them (esp if they are the same age as me or close to it). I get more resistance from the 20 somethings selling derelict hondas than I get from the 50 somethings selling backyard bikes.

The above paragraph serves as a warning to all you newbies out there: if you don't know what you are doing, don't just try and fake it, bring someone else along who at least knows how a motorbike works. This also means don't just show up with tools now when buying bikes unless you know how to use them! if you break someone's bike because your internet directions on how to do a compression test were not clear you are gonna have to buy that bike.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

funny, kind of a cross between your last little paragraph...

dude bought a "project", wheeled into his garage (which doubled as a "practice space" (or "detroit hipster mating ground") and there it sat. i think he just got nervous in thinking that i'd a) find a deal-breaker problem, or 2) break his "vintage classic goldmine of hipness". basically, i got the impression he was uncomfortable showing it to someone who even appears to know what they're looking at. "well, my bro said he'd come get it next week as is, for $800 so unless you think it's worth that no matter what you find out..." all the better. from one douche to another.

...it was a rough, "need work" CB350 with a title. i had no intention on offering any more than $300 even if everything checked out ok.

no thanks, "bro".
    iphone generated fag

funny, kind of a cross between your last little paragraph...

dude bought a "project", wheeled into his garage (which doubled as a "practice space" (or "detroit hipster mating ground") and there it sat. i think he just got nervous in thinking that i'd a) find a deal-breaker problem, or 2) break his "vintage classic goldmine of hipness". basically, i got the impression he was uncomfortable showing it to someone who even appears to know what they're looking at. "well, my bro said he'd come get it next week as is, for $800 so unless you think it's worth that no matter what you find out..." all the better. from one douche to another.

...it was a rough, "need work" CB350 with a title. i had no intention on offering any more than $300 even if everything checked out ok.

no thanks, "bro".
    iphone generated fag

There just aren't that many people in the world I'd let put a wrench on my shit.

A stranger shows up thinking he's going to tear something of mine apart and I'd be like "uuuummm fuck no". From there it'd depend on if I were in the mood to do it myself while he watched.

There just aren't that many people in the world I'd let put a wrench on my shit.

A stranger shows up thinking he's going to tear something of mine apart and I'd be like "uuuummm fuck no". From there it'd depend on if I were in the mood to do it myself while he watched.

I never buy anything over 300 bucks, so I expect it to be completely borked. I don't bother bringing anything, as long as the bike is mostly complete.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links