Craigslist Ads
Close

Craigslist Ads

This is a discussion on Craigslist Ads within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; ever show up to check out a potential Craigslist purchase with a tool bag, test light, and a compression checker? as a seller, it wouldn't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craigslist Ads

Craigslist Ads

ever show up to check out a potential Craigslist purchase with a tool bag, test light, and a compression checker?

as a seller, it wouldn't bother me in the least, but it certainly seems to make some dudes fussy!
    iphone generated fag

If they get fussy, then there's something to hide.

If they get fussy, then there's something to hide.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

You would be surprised what I show up with to check out CL ads.

I once showed up with a compression tester, an inspection camera, and an original honda tool kit, which I was not allowed to use because the seller did not want me pulling the plugs. Turns out he had stripped one and it was in there by a thread and he didn't want to have to take a loss on the bike because someone would need to retap the head.

To look at an e39 BMW this weekend I brought a BMW tech, who the owner would not allow to drive the car. "You are buying" he said "He's not!". I think you can guess that I did not buy the car. He also wouldn't let my friend crawl under the car after we heard a clunking noise.

I find that as long as you tell them that you plan on doing a through inspection of the vehicle and that you are bringing tools most are ususally ok.

I used to be really picky about other people taking my bikes apart that I had for sale after a potential buyer striped a plug hole on my GT380s and after taking the heads off, just left without putting them back on. Now I give them a little quiz and often will help them, and I always say upfront you break it you bought it, and if you take it off you have to put it back on.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

You would be surprised what I show up with to check out CL ads.

I once showed up with a compression tester, an inspection camera, and an original honda tool kit, which I was not allowed to use because the seller did not want me pulling the plugs. Turns out he had stripped one and it was in there by a thread and he didn't want to have to take a loss on the bike because someone would need to retap the head.

To look at an e39 BMW this weekend I brought a BMW tech, who the owner would not allow to drive the car. "You are buying" he said "He's not!". I think you can guess that I did not buy the car. He also wouldn't let my friend crawl under the car after we heard a clunking noise.

I find that as long as you tell them that you plan on doing a through inspection of the vehicle and that you are bringing tools most are ususally ok.

I used to be really picky about other people taking my bikes apart that I had for sale after a potential buyer striped a plug hole on my GT380s and after taking the heads off, just left without putting them back on. Now I give them a little quiz and often will help them, and I always say upfront you break it you bought it, and if you take it off you have to put it back on.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I know CL is not the best place to buy anything - if anyone has junk, that's the place it will most likely get dumped. If I was going to buy anything and brought an 'expert' with me and the seller refused to let this person check out the item - then we would both be back on the road heading home.

BTW - The latest scam I've seen on CL are items listed with really low prices. If the asking price is too low to be believed - then it is most likely a scam. Let the buyer beware....
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

I know CL is not the best place to buy anything - if anyone has junk, that's the place it will most likely get dumped. If I was going to buy anything and brought an 'expert' with me and the seller refused to let this person check out the item - then we would both be back on the road heading home.

BTW - The latest scam I've seen on CL are items listed with really low prices. If the asking price is too low to be believed - then it is most likely a scam. Let the buyer beware....
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

i don't think i'd be as cool as to let some cat dig into the top end of any bike i was selling, but wouldn't bat an eye at a quick compression test or a poke through the electrical system if it were a "not currently running but ran when it was parked" sale. hell, i'd help. but then again, if it were my sale, i'd already have a good idea what was wrong in the first place. in the future, i think i'll just leave my equipment in the car and feel the seller out before broaching the subject of a quick diagnosis. it's not like i'm trying to get it running before i hand over the cash; just an informed buyer trying to decide if it's worth loading into a truck.

i hope others can chime in with similar stories.
    iphone generated fag

i don't think i'd be as cool as to let some cat dig into the top end of any bike i was selling, but wouldn't bat an eye at a quick compression test or a poke through the electrical system if it were a "not currently running but ran when it was parked" sale. hell, i'd help. but then again, if it were my sale, i'd already have a good idea what was wrong in the first place. in the future, i think i'll just leave my equipment in the car and feel the seller out before broaching the subject of a quick diagnosis. it's not like i'm trying to get it running before i hand over the cash; just an informed buyer trying to decide if it's worth loading into a truck.

i hope others can chime in with similar stories.
    iphone generated fag

What are you buying, Matt? Or looking at, or...
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links