Who knows Clark electric forklifts?
Close

This is a discussion on Who knows Clark electric forklifts? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Looking for info on them. Potential purchase of a small(1000lb cap.), narrow aisle machine. CL listing: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/bfs/2058478220.html What are potential issues with them? Longevity of ...

Looking for info on them. Potential purchase of a small(1000lb cap.), narrow aisle machine.
    CL listing: http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/bfs/2058478220.html
    What are potential issues with them? Longevity of batteries?
    Gonna be used for lifting bikes onto a loading dock. Will need to fab a platform.

NE
    Subscribe to SIX HOT ISSUES!! of WarmPipe for only $29.99!!! Interweb NOW!!!!!

We used a lot of them at my last job. Battery charging is important (obviously), and we were always admonished not to partially charge them - kills the battery faster. Ours were used for up to 18hrs/day, and they replaced about 4 batteries out of 20-ish every year or so. They're expensive. We also had a propane hi-lo, which was preferred by almost every employee because it was faster & had more lifting capacity. I'd consider propane a good alternative. They have a lot of relays & other complicated switches in them, more than I would have thought. If you're not comfortable doing electrical work, it won't make you happy when it breaks down.There are maintenance companies that service those fleets on-site, and they could give you more technical info than me. My employer ran about a dozen electric machines, and found it cost effective to hire a semi-retired service tech to do what repairs he could, rather than use the service company for everything.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

Pretty much what Judey said. There's a shop in my town that refurbs little forklifts like that, I've done a little work for them. I'd be leery of buying one without a way to test the batteries and whatnot. They're expensive to repair.

I'm screwed without my forklift. The starter went out on mine late this summer. It was like cutting off one of my hands until I got it fixed. So get a good one, you'll come to depend on it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Make sure you get a good battery. We have a walk behind in work. I put a new battery in it a couple of weeks ago. $1000. We also have a few Crown electrics. I do the hydraulics and mechanical but we have a service contract for the electrical. I don't know what a service contract costs but it might be worth looking into.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Sponsored Links