Lost titles
Close

Lost titles

This is a discussion on Lost titles within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I'm sure this has been covered before. Being in the states and being into vintage bikes means I run across a LOT of "lost title" ...

Thread: Lost titles

Lost titles

I'm sure this has been covered before. Being in the states and being into vintage bikes means I run across a LOT of "lost title" postings. Been trying to find a half decent CB/CL.. or really just any twin to have some fun with over the winter.

Obviously this varies per state but what do you guys do when it comes to handling lost titles? I know specifically IL is pretty strict on the matter whereas Vermont you can register an older bike without a title and have it mailed to you in another state (then transfer the registration).

Anyone have any other tips?

A Lost Title means somebody knows the last titled owner and it has been lost.

This means, in most states, that an affidavit of lost title as well as a power of attorney handed to a buyer by said owner will glean a replacement/duplicate for saud lost title AND give the buyer legal right to sign the previous owners signature on duplicate title.

If somebody has no idea who the last titled owner was or even from what state said last title originated......

They simply have a vehicle with no title and their legal claim to it may or may not be dubious.
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Laz -

Aside from Hack's warning, most folks will either use a service in Maine to get a title for their bikes or check ebay to find either a frame or the frame tag for their type bike. Again as you already have pointed out - it depends on your state regs for how old a bike can be to be excluded from a title and registered with only a bill of sale.

I would heed Hack's warning about the sale being dubious.... Proceed carefully
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Ive always avoided title-less bikes. Simply because I never wanted the hassle of running the VIN through the police and then attempting to track down said title. I read somewhere that if you are in IL.... the only way you are getting that thing on the road is to move to another state and title it there... and then never come back.

So lets say the thing has been in a barn for the past 20 years.. the owner just lost all of his paperwork. I would need a bill of sale as well as an affidavit that has been approved by a lawyer/notary.... otherwise.. has anyone used one of those title recovery places and can recommend one? Its just more curiosity at this point.. I can wait to find the bike I am looking for.

Every State is different. Some require you to bond the titles for 2 years, others don't.

NY will let you register and own pre 1972 vehicles without title, Alabama and georgia is 1976 (I think) and Maine is like 1985, and you don't have to be a resident to register in maine.

A lot of it also has to do with the last registered owner. If you are buying a bike from someone who was the last titled owner - often times all that person has to do is fill out a lost or duplicate title request and pay a fee. If you are dealing with a seller 2 or 3 times removed from the last titled owner then bonded title/title service/mechanics lein/whatever works in your state is going to be the option.

Make friends with a police officer. Back when I was in the Fire Dept, we had a lot of guys there that were also cops. They would run vin numbers for me all the time on the computer in the cars. Even after I resigned, I still go down to the local Long Island station (usually at night when they are bored) and ask them to run numbers all the time. I tell them the same thing: "I am buying an XXX from somebody and they said they lost the title, I want to make sure it is not stolen". If it comes up stolen I am happy to turn the sellers info over to the cops, but that has actually never happened to me. Techincally I am supposed to go down to the State troopers station and get official paperwork and such, but I know most of the county cops and they are just friendlier.

For a lot of newbies to bikes, buying a bike without a title is one more hardship keeping a person from riding. However, if you already have a bike to ride you can get some real bargains for bikes sans titles, provided the seller isn't saavy on how to get one himself.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Some several years ago the TBI dictated ncic checks could no longer be performed for private citizens. Closest to that was it being ok for those with licensed business licenses.

Checks are supposed to be performed with agent/officer being there with vehicle.

I can only understand the part about physically being able to lay hands on item to be checked.
    Accidental inventor of the worlds fastest wearing rocker arms and other edible engine parts! Try my yummy blue cheese camshafts!

Sponsored Links