Exhausted this subject - Page 2
Close

Exhausted this subject

This is a discussion on Exhausted this subject within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I talk to Ed a couple of times a year, good guy. He's my source for pipe when someone wants the absolute lightest system they ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I talk to Ed a couple of times a year, good guy. He's my source for pipe when someone wants the absolute lightest system they can get. I'll use his 18ga tube.

For bending I use a Hossfeld manual bender. You can pick up the basic machine for about $800 with no dies. If you pick and choose carefully you can get the dies to do most bike exhaust for another $800 or so. But..as with any manual bender, each system is a bit different from the next....ie...pain in the ass.

A cheapo roller can be had for around $300-400 that will do 22-24ga megs just fine...although it's a bit of an art even with a roller. Get one of the 30" combination machines $300-400 and it has a shear and press brake too. The shear is an absolute necessity for doing megs. The butt welded seam has to be perfectly straight.

Inexpensive name brand TIG can be had for around $1200 I think. Been 12 years since I bought my SyncroWave so I'm not sure. Course it could be done with gas, just kinda slow.

I've come to the conclusion that CNC stuff is just out of my reach. I've been to several auctions...the affordable stuff is obsolete crap, the decent stuff is astronomical in price. CNC pipe benders are just too useful...you don't see people getting rid of them. But...that would be the tits...do it right once...next time just throw the tube in and turn it on. Would reduce fabrication time of a whole system by about 70%....but I guess you'd still have to charge more to pay for the machine
    JohnnyB

Edited by - jbranson on Oct 31 2005 12:54:01 PM

Johnny, I use one of those cheap combo roller shear things and they work okay, but as you say, its all really handwork to get it right. If someone wants to do it, its the initial pattern that makes a differnce. You can't just cut a square and roll a cone, it has to be a "flat cone" to start off with.

I do all my headers with Aircone supplied bends and weld them together, then roll megs and silencers, but it ain't quick. Its a full 10 hour day in the shop for one set for a CB350.

Maybe Mac is the way to go!

adios muchachos

Same here...pretty much a day in the shop. The tubing bender speeds things up some...but if you bend something wrong you have to throw it in the garbage unless you want to cut and weld it.

Is Aircone still in business!? I tried for a year to get in touch with them/him...no luck. Lately I've heard someone say he died or something, phone disconnect etc.

I looked in my sheet metal workers hand book and got the layout setup for cones...then I made a bunch of metal patterns for different sizes, drilled a hole in them and hung them on the wall. Now I can just pull them down and trace them. Huge time saver.

I hate making exhausts....but I love the results when they turn out right. Bent up some stainless not long ago...oh man it bent beautiful...easier than DOM tubing. Course I bent them for a CB160 instead of a CB175 sloper with vertical head...so they are just sitting in a box
    JohnnyB

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

building parts takes allday,and then some Ive made a entire aluminum body for a porsche 550 spyder replica with bead bag and a small english wheel took 7 weeks to build the nose amd dash hoop inner and outer rockers...lots of pounding and wheeling and still only half the skins of the car, and then some one says they can get it cheaper I say show me the guy Ill buy them allday !!!

johnnyB you can learn all you want here and buy the tools required best thing is the instruction videos itll get you where you want to go fabing aluminium.

http://metalshapers.org/pros/

Edited by - LiLBull on Nov 01 2005 07:54:12 AM

Gotta get me some 1100 aluminum and a bag of sand!

Thanks for the link. Looks like plenty of info there.

JohnnyB

FR
    Another good source for race exhaust is Jemco, out in Cali.(I think). He'll make custom stuff if he hasn't already made it for the bike in question. Seems like a reasonable guy too. Doesn't have a web site, just a name and #
    John Easton 713-461-3834

FR

Jemco is really good but pricey. I only have expirence with the 2 stroke chambers and his prices seemed in line with what others are getting for pipes. A lot of the kawasaki triple guys use jemco chambers and like them.

I stumbled on this exhaust site may want to check it out for the hell of it . George

http://www.predatormotorsport.co.uk/hermes/shop/34,1,20

Bought one of the predator systems several years back for my 175 twin. Nice heavy duty Stainless street system....quite heavy in fact. Fit was pretty good. I think it was about $450 by the time I got it to the US.
    When I got the box it was covered in sheet after sheet of freakin mailing stamps...hopefully their shipping dept has improved since then.
    JohnnyB

johhnyb great to here that was wondering how long it would take ,and I havent even looked into current exchange rates with the euro.Just look slike they cover alot of models.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links