Is a Buell really a caferacer - Page 2
Close

Is a Buell really a caferacer

This is a discussion on Is a Buell really a caferacer within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Whoops...forgot about the TLR...yep that was a decent bike. The reason Honda cheaped out on the Hayden RC was that...well...they're probably still losing money on ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Whoops...forgot about the TLR...yep that was a decent bike.

The reason Honda cheaped out on the Hayden RC was that...well...they're probably still losing money on the bike. They only produced about 10,000 a year for the first couple of years, they only sold well the first couple of years. I have a feeling the only reason they are still producing them is to recoup tooling costs. The only reason the bike was ever produced in the first place was to have a bike legal to race in WSBK against the Ducs. Out of the probably 1500 a year they sell in the US, probably half of them are in the scrap heap within one year from stunting and becoming race bikes. I really couldn't believe the are continuing it for 2006...thought for sure 2005 would be the last year. Honda rarely produces "odd" models for more than five years.

Matt,
    Ever see that bumper sticker that says "Life begins at 140mph". It's true...seems to be the threshold for triggering some kind of chemical response in the brain. Whenever I crack 140 on the way up the hill to my house it's like you are high for half an hour afterwards. At 140 strange things happen, you can see a dime on the pavement a 100 yards ahead, your level of focus becomes unnaturally acute, something in the primal brain responds, the fight or flight response kicks in.

Sure, in almost all situations a good rider on a 400cc bike can go as fast through the corners...but every now and then it's heaven to wind it up to 160 and feel like you cheated death. And you do change gears...once you hit 90mph in first gear....you'll change gears five times in about ten seconds on the way to 160. Nothing beats coming over a rise in the road that you never even felt at 55mph...but on the throttle at 130 you carry the front wheel 3" off the pavement for 75 feet. A wiggle and a chirp when it sets back down, then hard on the brakes for the next turn...feel the back end get light and do the slow wag back and forth....time it right...it wags right, you lean it left and it flows into the turn like Bostrom into turn two a Laguna. Back on the gas after the apex and it lofts the front wheel a few inches and still tracks around the corner like it's got four wheels. I get goose bumps just thinking about it.
    JohnnyB

don't get me wrong. the point you are making is true. i reckon i only brought my ss up to about 115-120 mph. then again i rode in and around boston. that bike idled at 40.

matt

The RC51 does something that the RC31, RC30, and the nsr400 could not. It gets people interested in sport bikes. Take the big 4's liter line up. The cbr, r1, zx10r, and gsxr all look and sound very similar and, perfrom within a 10th of a second of each other. Not a lot of draw, if you ask me. Now the RC51, which was popular at it's introduction for being different, is an image bike. People see it and recognize it as a sport bike but it sounds different. There is something special about it as a twin. That gets people swaying toward a honda enough to look at them in the dealership. Sure the salesman may put their ass in the cbr by the end of the day with talk of speed and power, but the RC in no small part got them there. The reason honda is keeping the rc51 is the same reason kawasaki introduced the zrx1200, it has a loyal following of riders that consider themselves special, and it creats an image for the company that is not all cbr's and four wheelers. Magazines love to write about the RC51 as the gentleman's jap sportbike. enthuasits love to talk about how it puts them in league with ducati for less money. Basically The bike is worth more in its image in differentiating honda from the rest of the big four, than it is in actual profits.

I ride old bikes because of the feeling of speed, not actual speed. Rid a 75 cb750 pinned at 115 and your senses are just as acute as the sport bike at 140. why? because the cb750 rattloes, shakes, vibrates, gest tossed around the road on it's skinny tires. On a modern bike at 80 on the slab you are bored. On a vintage bike at 80 on the slab you are going for the land speed record. Espically if you are like me and put your nose between the clocks and your feet on the passenger pegs and just hold it pinned.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

That putting my feelings into words drive a slow big fast ...rahter then drive a fast bike slow.Hey Ive seen way to many people kit HP upgrade kits for their sport bike when the street stock version will never use it on the street.

Fact is driving fast should be on the Track and fun spurts of speed is well just plain "american Fun" with in reason.But really the bikes now are way more bike then the average or above average will ever need ....so Im in that crowd that looks, is a key factor.

I do enjoy looking at it still out side the cafe'!!

As A matter of fact my biggest reason to lust for a ducati is just to look at it in my living room.

i don't think you can put the TLR in the same category with the RC51. i like the TLR, but if you're going to compare it to a Honda it's a VTR SuperHawk. the TLR was never campaigned by the factory and never won any races.

interesting point about how street fighters and cafe racers developed differently. i guess what i meant was that they serve a similar purpose when it comes to street riding. or maybe i'm wrong altogether.

about the Hayden RC51 vs. Repsol CBR1000: how many people watched Hayden win a championship on the RC, and how many people watched Rossi win a championship on the RCV? i bet the Hayden replica wasn't real popular in Europe, kinda like a John Reynolds GXSR wouldn't sell well here.

quote:
    The RC51 does something that the RC31, RC30, and the nsr400 could not.

Heh - I just saw the RC31 mentioned on a Cafe site. Cool.

Sold my modern day cafe racer HawkGT and bought a project GT550. Worlds apart, but I do enjoy riding a slow bike fast. I would rather not reach my limits before the bikes for some reason.

I enjoy bikes almost soley on the basis I can modify them. Sad, but true.

Do you mean that HawkGT with the single sided swingarm?
    Really cool bike. Always wanted to get one of those, sharp looking bike.
    JohnnyB

Hey Johnny,

If you really want a hawk GT I know where there is an almost new one. I got into the local kawasaki dealer's bike storage facility recently to take a look at some old bike parts they had lying around. Tucked into a corner of the warehose was a blue (rare color) 1988 hawk GT. So I asked the dealer about it and he told me they took it in as a new trade in back in 1988, the previous owner thought it was too slow. It had 200 miles and was not even broken in when they traded it in. The bike has abotu 435 miles now, they start it up and ride it around every once and a while, then it goes back into the climate controlled corner of the warehouse. The bike looks brand new and still has yet to be broken in. It is for sale but I don't remember how much he was asking.

I have always loved those single sided swingarms. The guy I bought my t500 from had one and I just thought it was cool looking.

BTW, airtech has a really cool set of RC30 bodywork for the hawk. really sharp stuff.

http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/nt650.htm

Edit: forgot to mention this - the Hawk GT is sometimes known as the RC31 (it was sold under this moniker in japan and england RC33 in the rest of europe) and also the NT650 or GT650. I think ti was only called the Hawk GT in the states. One of the few non race replica bikes from honda to carry an RC moniker. They were actually built to make some parts legal for racing in different classes (I forget which). There is talk of

Edited by - geeto67 on Nov 08 2005 1:56:00 PM

love those hawks. raced one (stock) once in wera v6 lightweight. got my ass smoked by fzr400's but it was fun. first and only time i put my knee down.

i will have one, one of these days. geeto, what do you think the dealer wants for it?

tex

quote:
    love those hawks. raced one (stock) once in wera v6 lightweight. got my ass smoked by fzr400's but it was fun. first and only time i put my knee down.

i will have one, one of these days. geeto, what do you think the dealer wants for it?

tex
    I wanna say somewhere in between $2000 and $4000. Really I don't remember but my instinct is telling me like $3500. Considering a nice condition hawk pulls about $2K on the market, that's not bad for a practically new bike that is almost 20 years old. It's been a couple of weeks since I have seen it, but if you want I can go back and grab a few pics. It's at a new bike dealer so you know those guys are always negotiable.

They had a cb1100F with less than 1000 miles on the clock too but the salesman grabbed that one for himself. too bad because I like those bikes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links