Alloy Tank - Page 2
Close

Alloy Tank

This is a discussion on Alloy Tank within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Custom House Stinky in Japan has some nice looking tanks. http://stinky.jp/parts.php Pricey. Any of the Aussies know about the quality CHS products?...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alloy Tank

Custom House Stinky in Japan has some nice looking tanks.

http://stinky.jp/parts.php

Pricey. Any of the Aussies know about the quality CHS products?

Custom House Stinky in Japan has some nice looking tanks.

http://stinky.jp/parts.php

Pricey. Any of the Aussies know about the quality CHS products?

you guys are putting me on.

Pressure testing is basically pressurizing the tank with 5psi of air and submerging it in a tank of water to check for leaks. For a tank I would do this at home, because if you take it to a rad shop they are going to dunk your tank into a large bath of antifreeze. Anyway, go to home depot and buy a bunch of rubber plugs. then go the bicycle store and get a screw in air valve (you might be able to get on at home depot in the air compressor section). Anyway, take the plug you are going to use for the filler cap and insert the air valve and then silicone around where it meets the plug so it doesn't leak. Plug up all the other known holes in your tank (vent, petcock) and submerge the tank in your bathtub so that only the air valve is above the surface. then take a bicycle pump and pump the tank with 5 psi pressure and hold it. If the tank is taking in water or not pressurizing up then either you didn't plug something right or there is a large hole. If it is bleeding out slowly and there is a stream of bubbles coming from where there shouldn't be - then it is time to call up who made the tank and complain/rant/ask for refund/or toss a liner in it.

I am 90% sure if you bought from a reputable company that they pressure tested the tank before sending it out because it is 10 min of cheap insurance. however it is always better to find out with water and bubbles than a pissing stream of gas on to your leg that your tank wasn't welded right.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

you guys are putting me on.

Pressure testing is basically pressurizing the tank with 5psi of air and submerging it in a tank of water to check for leaks. For a tank I would do this at home, because if you take it to a rad shop they are going to dunk your tank into a large bath of antifreeze. Anyway, go to home depot and buy a bunch of rubber plugs. then go the bicycle store and get a screw in air valve (you might be able to get on at home depot in the air compressor section). Anyway, take the plug you are going to use for the filler cap and insert the air valve and then silicone around where it meets the plug so it doesn't leak. Plug up all the other known holes in your tank (vent, petcock) and submerge the tank in your bathtub so that only the air valve is above the surface. then take a bicycle pump and pump the tank with 5 psi pressure and hold it. If the tank is taking in water or not pressurizing up then either you didn't plug something right or there is a large hole. If it is bleeding out slowly and there is a stream of bubbles coming from where there shouldn't be - then it is time to call up who made the tank and complain/rant/ask for refund/or toss a liner in it.

I am 90% sure if you bought from a reputable company that they pressure tested the tank before sending it out because it is 10 min of cheap insurance. however it is always better to find out with water and bubbles than a pissing stream of gas on to your leg that your tank wasn't welded right.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

That is a beautiful piece of work there. I'm sure it's fine but would just check it like above.

That is a beautiful piece of work there. I'm sure it's fine but would just check it like above.

Before checking it yourself, I would just call up the maker and ask him if it was pressure checked or not. Of course if you bought it off shore that is easier said than done.

On another note, if you have an alloy tank w/o knee dents, and it got dented, could you pop out the dents using the air method Geeto described??

Before checking it yourself, I would just call up the maker and ask him if it was pressure checked or not. Of course if you bought it off shore that is easier said than done.

On another note, if you have an alloy tank w/o knee dents, and it got dented, could you pop out the dents using the air method Geeto described??

quote:Originally posted by Whitehurst

I got it from TabII.
    TabII??? Could you give us a link please. I tried Google but no luck.
    I'd like to go the alloy tank route with my GSXR. I've looked at "The Tank Shop" over in the UK, and e-mailed Roc city, so there are two options.
    Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

quote:Originally posted by Whitehurst

I got it from TabII.
    TabII??? Could you give us a link please. I tried Google but no luck.
    I'd like to go the alloy tank route with my GSXR. I've looked at "The Tank Shop" over in the UK, and e-mailed Roc city, so there are two options.
    Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links