Alloy Tank - Page 3
Close

Alloy Tank

This is a discussion on Alloy Tank within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I have popped dents using air pressure. It takes a heck of a lot more pressure than 5 psi. usually around 50-70 to start for ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alloy Tank

I have popped dents using air pressure. It takes a heck of a lot more pressure than 5 psi. usually around 50-70 to start for metal tanks. the danger is that you can spread the tank and blow out the seams with too much pressure. We used to strap and line tanks to avoid distortion and seam split (car tanks mostly). I have done it at least once with a cb750 tank with medicore results (the tank spread anyway and I had to bend it back into shape by hand).

Ever see the tank for a Ferrari? alloy. If the vent clogs the tank crushes down like a capri sun juice packet. It is near $10K (or so I am told) for a new tank. However, we used to "reinflate" them using air (get back to 99% shape) and line them with red kote. Less than $500 fix and we got all the work from the dealers. during the summer we were doing tanks at the rate of 1 every weekend. The unfortunate thing is that after the second time the tank is junk and needs replacement.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I have popped dents using air pressure. It takes a heck of a lot more pressure than 5 psi. usually around 50-70 to start for metal tanks. the danger is that you can spread the tank and blow out the seams with too much pressure. We used to strap and line tanks to avoid distortion and seam split (car tanks mostly). I have done it at least once with a cb750 tank with medicore results (the tank spread anyway and I had to bend it back into shape by hand).

Ever see the tank for a Ferrari? alloy. If the vent clogs the tank crushes down like a capri sun juice packet. It is near $10K (or so I am told) for a new tank. However, we used to "reinflate" them using air (get back to 99% shape) and line them with red kote. Less than $500 fix and we got all the work from the dealers. during the summer we were doing tanks at the rate of 1 every weekend. The unfortunate thing is that after the second time the tank is junk and needs replacement.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Thanks for the replies guys, Ill email Richard today to see what he has to say about pressure testing. There was remnants of water in the tank so maybe that's how he does it.

The site that sells these tanks is Terry Bakers old site (TA BAKER CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE TANKS), Richard is his son in law that inherited the business and now calls it TabII Classics: http://www.tabaker.co.uk/
    I received the tank within 4 months and that aint bad, considering Richard got a unholy eye infection that laid him up for over a month.
    No I dont work for him, no I dont sell his products - I just love the tank and Richard is a super good guy making great product!

The bike is a Modern Triumph Thruxton, its my everyday rider that I have owned for over five years. Its also getting some FCR 39mm flatsides for it, bench tuning them today.
    http://theglassboot.blogspot.com/

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies guys, Ill email Richard today to see what he has to say about pressure testing. There was remnants of water in the tank so maybe that's how he does it.

The site that sells these tanks is Terry Bakers old site (TA BAKER CLASSIC MOTORCYCLE TANKS), Richard is his son in law that inherited the business and now calls it TabII Classics: http://www.tabaker.co.uk/
    I received the tank within 4 months and that aint bad, considering Richard got a unholy eye infection that laid him up for over a month.
    No I dont work for him, no I dont sell his products - I just love the tank and Richard is a super good guy making great product!

The bike is a Modern Triumph Thruxton, its my everyday rider that I have owned for over five years. Its also getting some FCR 39mm flatsides for it, bench tuning them today.
    http://theglassboot.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links