Decisions x2 New guy Which project - Page 2
Close

Decisions x2 New guy Which project

This is a discussion on Decisions x2 New guy Which project within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Lets clear up some terms: A GT bike is a bike that is the precursor to the sport tourer. It doesn't have to have a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lets clear up some terms:

A GT bike is a bike that is the precursor to the sport tourer. It doesn't have to have a fairing but it is known as a slightly more comfortable sporting motorcycle.

An Endurance Racer is a race bike that depending on the even may be fitted with lights to be able to run at night, in the rain, etc. It usually has a fairing, and might have a slightly more comfy riding position though it is still a clipon and rearsets race bike.

to put this into comparison - a Ferrari or a Corvette is a sports car, an Aston Martin DB or a Jaguar XK is a GT car. Both are sporting but the Aston has more comforts to enable you to drive the car longer distances and use it everyday. In the new bike world a CBR1000 is a sport bike, a VFR is a GT bike (now known as a sport tourer). Int he old days you had one basic bike to do everyhting. So if you had a CB750 and wanted a cafe racer you would try to get as close to a CR750 factory race bike for the street as you could. To make the same bike a GT you would fit euro bars (what we now call superbike bars), sometimes euro pegs (honda used to sell a sport kit for the DOHC bikes, not quite racign rearsets but certainly further back than stock pegs), cut down mirrors and signals, sporting exhaust, a racing style seat with thicker padding, and better brakes and suspension. It was a fast bike you could ride all day basically.

Now, if you are going to ride cross country here are 2 solid rules:

1) set the bike up for the entire journey right from the start. If you are going to do a fairing, don't expect to be removing it unless you need to service something. You will probably need to adapt on the trip anyway, so having in your head a baseline helps.

2) keep it simple and be prepared for anything. I like fairings for cross country trips because they keep the unwanted elements like rain and snow and such from pummelling you as badly. it also keep the wind from wearing you out as fast. And it will happen. however, if you need the room, and need to service things, removing it is a PITA. So you have to make the decision early on. bringing tools to remove and install your fairing (in addition to the tools you need to carry) is not keeping it simple.

I like the idea of someone going cross country on an endurance style bike because they were meant to be raced in what ever weather happened to be for that 24 hour period. that is a useful thing to have when you are going to be riding into unknow weather situations.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

you know, a ZRX might not be a bad mount. Yeah they are a newer bike but patterend after the old ELR. Used ones even in NY go for around $2-3K for an 1100 with some mileage on it.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

grab the gs1100. then if you get bored with it, you're quite feasibly dead.

rode mine yesterday and the rapide today.

p.s. if you get bored with it, sell it to me and i'll tour your land on it one of these days. they eat miles and are comfortable and surefooted.

BFF of Ken, inheritor of same status with Tex, erstwhile defender of young Kerry, and general village idiot sans village. Glen.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

quote:I think that bottom picture is Dave Evans from a USCRA race...
    it is indeed...im amazed at how he gets around loudon on that big lug!!!
    Johnnyracer

and he's making brownies too

thats for the main course.....haha...get it...??? haha.

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

Ok update i have a chance to pick up a 79 yamaha 750 triple se which i realize has longer front forks and a different gas tank then id need for my project.

It runs and has 80,000kms

Thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links