Cannonball to the face = bad
Close

This is a discussion on Cannonball to the face = bad within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Check your shit fuckers..... So last Tuesday I was busting my hump to get a pair of manifolds cut and got clocked. I was facing ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Check your shit fuckers.....

So last Tuesday I was busting my hump to get a pair of manifolds cut and got clocked. I was facing a 5"d x 5"l solid hunk of 6061 aluminum in the lathe, a procedure I've done countless times before with no drama. This time though 'something' happened and the work piece ejected from the chuck spinning 6000rpm, pinched between the tool/tool-post and the still turning chuck then hit me in the left cheek just below my eye.

The only thing I can come up with is that perhaps I didn't have the chuck tightened quite enough and may have bumped the main saddle wheel effectively digging the cutter in(normally facing is a spare, skimming cut), allowing the material to be pulled out of seat.

Dad happened to be leaning on the wall bending my ear (that happens a lot) and saw the whole thing.....apparently it was fairly impressive to see my 265lb self lifted off my feet. Said is sounded like two pieces of wet firewood being slammed together. I don't remember much pain and I didn't go out or even fall though as I say, my feet did leave the ground. Lots of blood though....

Got pretty lucky as far as point of impact is concerned too and now am my own evil twin. I walked myself to the bathroom to have a look and decided I should probably go into the ER as I could see my teeth thru my face. The edge hit me pretty square on the point of the cheekbone, sliced thru the flesh of my cheek and gum, smashed into the root of my upper fang....err...k9(?) and essentially shaved a half moon piece of bone off my skull.

That's a little disconcerting as you can probably imagine.

30 stitches total according to the paperwork; 3 for the gum and 6 for the inside of my mouth, another 7 internal and 14 outside. Add in a root canal for giggles along with looking like I tried to gnaw the blades off a running food processor and it's been an interesting week and a half. If it have been 1/2" higher or lower I'd have lost my teeth or my eye, though I was wearing safety glasses they shattered and woulda done no good.

Check your shit, make sure things are setup as they need to be. I should have checked better.

(sorry for the babble, pain killers do wacky things to me)

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

That is gross, but glad you are pretty much OK. For some reason, I have been a little shy about getting my face too close to my work on my new lathe. Now I know why. Thanks for the reminder.

Got any Pics?

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

damn! glad to hear you're okay.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Thanks. I have a pic in the ER after they stitched me up but thankfully nobody paused for a photo-op in the midst. If you really want to see...I'll post something.
    What kinda lathe do you have? Safety glasses, no long sleeve/gloves or other dangly things and take your time if you're new to it and you'll be making a mess in no time!
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

is the lathe ok?
    'old hooligan...

we need a photo
    Inertial dynos just make people cranky

of the lathe
    Inertial dynos just make people cranky

leo
    quote:is the lathe ok?
    Man, this is a tough crowd.

Seriously, glad to hear you're in one piece, and lived to tell the tale. I'm figuring as much as the whole deal sucks, that's a big entry into the "it could have been MUCH worse" file.

Heal up.

Cheers,

holy fuck! glad to hear you are ok and didn't instantly get turned into a re-re.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

pics please! i'm a sick fuck and i know i'm not the only one here!

on the up side, you'll have one kick ass scar!

i get the heebie-jeebies even working close to a little cut-off wheel.

...didn't you also get shot once?
    iphone generated fag

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links