What do you guys think?
Close

What do you guys think?

This is a discussion on What do you guys think? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IRONH...item1c1a41a681 so, as I have now been a member of the xl forum, I have noticed that a lot of guys like the XLR bobbed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/IRONH...item1c1a41a681

so, as I have now been a member of the xl forum, I have noticed that a lot of guys like the XLR bobbed fender look, either for restorations, or for chops with shocks and stock frames (what they call....ick...bobbers). Anyway, the only way to get one is to buy a damaged original or repop fender (for about $80-$100), cut it down, and bolt it up. All of these fenders are steel because the rear passenger sits directly on the fender held in place by two steel supports, but if you are building a flat track replica the bike is a solo mount anyway.

so here is my idea: buy this mold. repop the original fender in glass. cut it to shape like the xlr fender. sell it for $50. possibly sell matching alloy fender braces to go with it.

I am not a glass guy. my expirence has been doing repair work on old corvettes (live axles and mid years mostly). I have only molded one piece in my life - a gas tank that immeadtly fell apart the moment I put fuel in it.

Still I think there may be an opportunity here. What do you all think? is the quality of the mold any good?

talk me out of this.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I should add - the same bobbed fender for an evo sporty is a pretty popular item, so much so that several big catalogs carry it. But the evo sporty carries a passenger in a completely different way.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I should add - the same bobbed fender for an evo sporty is a pretty popular item, so much so that several big catalogs carry it. But the evo sporty carries a passenger in a completely different way.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

bcr
    First off, monkey has forgotten more about this stuff than I'll ever know. Hard for me to see how to make a go of this. What this guy is calling a mold is actually a fender that has been split to be widened. To make a mold you will have to do a super clean up , prime sand etc, then make a plug off the fender. Then make the mold from the plug. Then spring for some infusion gear, then attempt to sell your high quality glass parts to some Harley guys who have maxed their visas and are struggling to make the nut on their new bagger. Take a pass. Cheers, bcr

bcr
    First off, monkey has forgotten more about this stuff than I'll ever know. Hard for me to see how to make a go of this. What this guy is calling a mold is actually a fender that has been split to be widened. To make a mold you will have to do a super clean up , prime sand etc, then make a plug off the fender. Then make the mold from the plug. Then spring for some infusion gear, then attempt to sell your high quality glass parts to some Harley guys who have maxed their visas and are struggling to make the nut on their new bagger. Take a pass. Cheers, bcr

I don't know. Looking at it it appears to be a split mould. If it is then a fender the same as the primered one could be popped out of it. But its also something that could be made from a fender in about an hour or so. Its not rocket science and I wouldn't part with $300 for it.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

I don't know. Looking at it it appears to be a split mould. If it is then a fender the same as the primered one could be popped out of it. But its also something that could be made from a fender in about an hour or so. Its not rocket science and I wouldn't part with $300 for it.

First off it is a resin mold made off an original fender and built into a split mold. I thought it was an original fender too at first but if you look at it it is a resin mold.

The grey fender in the auction is the fiberglass fender the mold popped out.

There is a very limited market for this part. Not a new bagged but guys building custom ironhead sportsters only, that are not hardtail choppers.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

First off it is a resin mold made off an original fender and built into a split mold. I thought it was an original fender too at first but if you look at it it is a resin mold.

The grey fender in the auction is the fiberglass fender the mold popped out.

There is a very limited market for this part. Not a new bagged but guys building custom ironhead sportsters only, that are not hardtail choppers.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Geet, Can you borrow a fender? A mould can be made very simply. Doesn't even have to be split for a fender. Like I said, it ain't rocket science.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links