78 honda CB400 Hawk - Page 2
Close

78 honda CB400 Hawk

This is a discussion on 78 honda CB400 Hawk within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I was shat out on to this earth fully formed with all the motorcycling knowledge at my disposal. It is a flame suit, it is ...

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 78 honda CB400 Hawk

I was shat out on to this earth fully formed with all the motorcycling knowledge at my disposal.

It is a flame suit, it is a joke. Lighten up.

Let me tell you about this place. What you went through is the basic litmus test as to whether you take yourself too seriously. We give it to the guys who show up here spouting the same cliche know nothin bullshit about cafe racers looking for the same advice that 20 min with the search function would answer for them. It is espically cruel if you forget to give us a proper introduction or show you activle want to participate in our community. If you get a laugh, can write back equally as witty, or get a laugh out of it - you pass. If you write an answer like yours full of defensive bullshit, insecurity, and frankly lacking any real humor, you....um...well, you don't pass.

But seriously, I have owned 4 of those hawks now, 3 I paid nothing for. I know a fair amount of tricks, and trust me when I say this: you are going to be making a lot of your own parts. They sell next to nothing custom for these bikes. It was a poor choice.

I see you still fail to grasp why an intro is important. Or why a pic is important. Too bad. You'll get it someday.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

i appreciate any help, just not the way you went around it at all. you make me want to delete myself from the forum and find someone who is actually HELPful , ive looked around and used search and have found very little, thats why i asked. if i had anything else to say about my bike other than its a 78 hawk, i would have. if i can find the pic function and was able to use it that would be different, but alas i did not slip from my mom with a vast amount of cafe racer knowledge. thats what forums are for right?

Clubmans are a bad choice, especially as a starting point. I would start by selling those. Then sell the bike. The Hawk is a little-to-no-fun motorcycle, as a cafe it is a bad choice and has no bolt-on pretty parts. IF you start asking the right questions, someone might offer you better advice on parts upgrades. OR you could use the search function. BUT really just sell it and buy something else.

If you really want to keep it, the first things you should consider doing are maintenance: cables, brakes, suspension, carburetors, fuel valve and line. You will need a shop manual: either factory or Clymer.

This approach not only increases the mahcine's safety and performance, but also helps you get to know the machine and figure out what changes you may want to make to riding position, suspension, brakes, or performance. DO NOT throw out the stock air intakes or exhaust unless you are a masochist or experience CV carb tuner. Do not put on clubmans or clip-ons without changing the footpeg position accordingly.

If it's all about the look, then keep the clubmans, ditch the airbox/fenders/lights, buy some emgo mufflers, and paint it black. After a week when you're tired of riding a machine that barely functions and wasn't much fun when it ran perfectly, park it or sell it.

The good news is that the CB400/CM400 is an unloved model. No one will care that you put another one off the road.

A couple other matters:
    1. Kind of a cheap shot to use your military service as an excuse for acting like a poseur douche. You weren't drafted.

2. Geeto didn't shit on you. I read his post, and it actually wasn't that bad. Stop whining about it and move on. Seriously.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

We need to create a map of the webernets. Off the edge is (among other places) caferacer.net, where it says "Here there be Monsters.."
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

quote:Originally posted by plarivee

i appreciate any help, just not the way you went around it at all. you make me want to delete myself from the forum and find someone who is actually HELPful , ive looked around and used search and have found very little, thats why i asked. if i had anything else to say about my bike other than its a 78 hawk, i would have. if i can find the pic function and was able to use it that would be different, but alas i did not slip from my mom with a vast amount of cafe racer knowledge. thats what forums are for right?
    The forum is not here to be helpful to every person who drops out of the ether. It is in itself a social community. You don't know this but the core members here go out of their way to meet each other in real life. Of course it helps that the core members here are all involved in vintage racing to some point. You wouldn't follow some dude with a cool bike home, kick in his door, and start asking him questions - so why assume that people here exist solely to be helpful to you - we are not even helpful to each other half the time, but we are always entertaining.

quote:if i had anything else to say about my bike other than its a 78 hawk, i would have.
    well that is assuming you are a massive expert on 1978 cb400 hawks. And you may be, but i would never know that because frankly you didn't introduce yourself like that. For all I know you could have serviced f-15s in the military and your fab and fixin' skills way exceed anyone else's here - how are we supposed to know. But let me tell you this is a 33 year old motorcycle you have, it has had a life of its own way before you got it. Most of us here are really good at evaluating bikes and projects and deciphering the life your bike has had before. Lets say for instance someone upgraded your forks wheels or brakes with later model honda parts - would you know or be able to spot that? Maybe your bike was in a wreck and put back together out of a million other bike bits - would you know to spot that? point is, assuming your 1978 hawk is just like every single other hawk out there is a mistake, sure it may have been built in the same plant as others, but 33 years is a long time for motorcycle to be out there in the world getting fucked with and ridden.

spif built this out of his hawk, I consider this a really well built example. It was basically built out of junk parts, but you would never know it:

here is his build page, read it and you'll understand:

https://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic...34&whichpage=3

what did you end up getting for it spif when you sold it? $1200?
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

I saw this and thought of the forum. Geets, you're the blue guy.

But for real dude. If you get some thicker skin, you'll love here. I'm balls deep obsessed with this forum, keeps my inspiration up and I get my yucks daily from the random shit thrown all over this place. Some fellas here REALLY know their shit.
    That's like, your opinion, man.

quote:Originally posted by jaguar

also forgot to ask if the new guy rides.
    and does he have any mechanical skills or tools.
    also is there a budget or is this going to be one of those
    "the guys back in the day just made everything so thats what im gunna do and it will cost me nothing" kinda things

and as far as getting girls....
    funny side story...

that is a pic of the day i got my latest CB750.
    it was parked on the side walk outside of the building i worked in over the summer.
    it was in brooklyn.
    i was outside messing with it for about an hour and had 3 different girls come over and talk to me. one even went out of their way to walk past me and talk.
    i was amazed!
    dude POS bikes are the new puppies!
    Jag - Any brooklyn girl that will sex you up for that bike probably has the vagina to match it in condition and patina. fish for hipster chicks at your own risk.

http://www.hipsterkitty.com/brooklyn-cat
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67
    Lighten up.
    What you went through is the basic litmus test as to whether you take yourself too seriously.
    If you get a laugh, can write back equally as witty, or get a laugh out of it - you pass. If you write an answer like yours full of defensive bullshit, insecurity, and frankly lacking any real humor, you....um...well, you don't pass.
    You'll get it someday.
    God, I love this place. It's way cheaper than therapy, and much more effective. Anytime I feel myself slipping into the default Orange County attitude (self-absorbed, narcissistic, overly serious) I just log on here. Instant reminder that I know fuck-all about a lot of very important things. Instant reminder that many of the things I know a lot about are not that important. Instant reminder that almost nothing has to be taken too seriously.

Patrick,
    The advice you have been given so far has been fairly accurate. Since you brought up your military service (thanks for your service, my son is active duty USMC), I will feel free to use it to illustrate my point. In the military, did you allow the boots fresh out to come into the squad bay and start running their mouths and asking the same questions that every newby asks, or did you expect them to keep quiet and figure out the lay of the land and then ask specific questions? Same holds true here. How would it have gone if a boot came in and started in with, "Hi, I'm new here, so help me out with everything. That is what you are here for, right."

Now, on to your bike. It is not the biggest POS ever invented, but it ranks right up there with the KZ440ltd and the Yamaha XS400 Special II as being among the most boring bikes ever made. If it were me, I would concentrate on tires, suspension and brakes. I would put a set of Superbike bars on it and ride it until I was tired of it (about 2 weeks) and then sell it for a profit and buy a bike that better suits what you want to do. Of course, since we don't anything about you or your intended use, since you wouldn't fill out your bio, I am just guessing that a boring 400 won't satisfy you for long. A good many of the people here live in the NE (not me), they may be helpful in person. Since you put in your first post that any input would be helpful, don't get all but hurt when it is advice you didn't want to hear.

My free advice to you is to lighten up, get to know the people here ( many of us do actually know each other in the real world, crazy in the interwebs, huh?) and do some reading on here. The CB/CM/CMX 400/450 has been covered many times here before. It can be made into a cafe bike but it isn't easy, the result is usually less than satisfactory and it is almost always more trouble than it is worth. I may and try to do one some day if I am feeling like a glutton for punishment, just to see one done right.

So, welcome. Stick around if you want to, otherwise I usually recommend that people that don't feel welcome here should check out Do the Ton. They are very nice over there.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

quote:Originally posted by JackC

Jag,

Do you have an ad on the Pottsdam CK looking for old hondas? Just curious.

That fellow out at the Honda/Harley dealership has lots of cool stuff tucked away, but won't sell it. One time I took a list of stuff that I needed to restore a bike, real hard to find stuff, and he looked at the list and said "yep, I have it all", then in the next breath "But it's not for sale, I am saving it". Stopped in a couple more times while my kids were up there at school. Last time he said I would have to wait for the auction after he died. He was real healthy at that time..

Welcome new guy. Ignore Geeto's delivery, but pay attention to his advice. From your last post you will fit in well around here.
    yup thats me....
    i scored a very minty CB350 for good money for my friend.
    i figure its worth a try for some cheap bikes up here.
    some of the times i come up with something cool for me or a friend other times it something to flip to keep the other toys going.

and that guy in the honda dealer is and asshole and ill never go in that place again.
    all he wants to do is sell $300 harley belts....

he is no help at all when getting parts. and is ridiculously over priced on everything
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links