78 honda CB400 Hawk - Page 20
Close

78 honda CB400 Hawk

This is a discussion on 78 honda CB400 Hawk within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; shortening a spring will make it stiffer. Yes it will have less preload so it might be softer at start. Looks for replacement spring so ...

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 78 honda CB400 Hawk

shortening a spring will make it stiffer. Yes it will have less preload so it might be softer at start. Looks for replacement spring so you can reverse the change if it doesn't work out.
    on a pull-only carb (not pull push cables) the spring is quite important safety factor. Getting your throttle stick at wide open or near is not a small problem. add a hipster kill switch next to the head light and have fun.
    -

I wouldn't mess with that spring. As posted before that could get dangerous. Have you tried lubing the throttle cable?

Ah, i think you're misunderstanding how the spring acts on the throttle in this particular setup. I have a CV carb (2), and the spring is only gives twisting retention. Shortening the spring would essentially shorten the overlapped circumference. I believe you're thinking that shortening the spring will shorten the height, which is unimportant in this case. The bike uses a push/pull setup, via two cables.

Back to the exhaust/muffler. My price range is around $60-$80 for a used (but mint condition) single muffler. I plan on bringing the two exhaust pipes together considering i took out the cross-over 'muffler' earlier in the project. So now i'm stuck with too little of backpressure, and an inconsistent/uneven combustion. My goal is to add enough backpressure to bring back the lower rpm torque and collect the pipes to a single muffler. Any ideas or pictures (two cylinder motors) would greatly help.
    Quote Originally Posted by pampadori View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by btpc814 View Post
    okay, i did some lookin around and it seems like it's gonna be about the same price and more work.
    not sure if it's worth it.
    It is a 400 hawk after all. You could argue the same about an oil change.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by iamalmostcrazy View Post
    Ah, i think you're misunderstanding how the spring acts on the throttle in this particular setup. I have a CV carb (2), and the spring is only gives twisting retention. Shortening the spring would essentially shorten the overlapped circumference. I believe you're thinking that shortening the spring will shorten the height, which is unimportant in this case. The bike uses a push/pull setup, via two cables.
    I had a CV carb on my bike and now I have a mikuni, both are push/pull via two cables. I can take the return cable off of either of them and the carb will function just fine...because that spring is what closes the throttle. If I'm not mistaken, the return cable is there just in case the spring breaks.

The spring is only an issue on rides lasting longer than half an hour or so. Its from the fatigue of holding the throttle turned, and the spring tension might be correct/stock. Even so, i'd like to reduce the retention of the spring. I'm not worried about the carb getting "stuck" open, because of the fact there are push/pull cables. I wasn't sure if this spring was replaceable or if anyone else had an issue like this, and resolved it without a throttle helper.....

Side note. Why did you change from a CV to a slide carb?
    Quote Originally Posted by pampadori View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by btpc814 View Post
    okay, i did some lookin around and it seems like it's gonna be about the same price and more work.
    not sure if it's worth it.
    It is a 400 hawk after all. You could argue the same about an oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by iamalmostcrazy View Post
    The spring is only an issue on rides lasting longer than half an hour or so. Its from the fatigue of holding the throttle turned, and the spring tension might be correct/stock. Even so, i'd like to reduce the retention of the spring. I'm not worried about the carb getting "stuck" open, because of the fact there are push/pull cables. I wasn't sure if this spring was replaceable or if anyone else had an issue like this, and resolved it without a throttle helper.....

Side note. Why did you change from a CV to a slide carb?
    I did a pretty beefy build on my motor and dyno charts showed that the CV carbs were awesome until around 100hp after that they kind of fall off performance-wise. I didn't want the CV carb holding back all the other parts that I put into the engine, so I upgraded it to a Mikuni HSR 45 which is a proven performer on engine builds like mine.

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Sponsored Links