78 honda CB400 Hawk
Close

78 honda CB400 Hawk

This is a discussion on 78 honda CB400 Hawk within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; hey, new to the forum just picked up a 78 Honda cb400 hawk and want to do some work to it. it in excellent running ...

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 78 honda CB400 Hawk

78 honda CB400 Hawk

hey, new to the forum
    just picked up a 78 Honda cb400 hawk and want to do some work to it. it in excellent running shape, i wasn't sure what was out there to put on the bike? im going to start with clubman handlebars and thats all i can find. anyone know of what i can do to the exhaust and to the gauges? any other mount?anything would be great input. thanks

typical newbie.

"oh, yes lets start with the bars because I don't know anything else and am not smart enough to think about the project in terms of anything but style". <-----this is me imitating you.

Let's start at the beginning:

you bought a 1978 cb400T hawk. Single handledly the most boring motorcycle on the planet. probably because it was cheap (only you don't know that comparativley speaking it really wasn't cheap - if you pay 1 cent for something worthless you are still overpaying). But little you can do about that now - you own it. sucks to be you.

But let's look at this project from a logical standpoint: why do you want a "cafe" bike? is it to get blow jobs from hipster girls? cuz let me tell you girls who give blow jobs bcause you own a motorcycle won't blow you because you own a honda. Is it cuz you want to look cool int he parking lot of that trendy burger joint/independant bookstore/coffee house where the cute grad school girls hang out? cuz if you are decent at paint and fab (I i doubt you are at either) that is about all that bike is good for.

And let's talk about your approach for a minute - clubman bars. The herpes of handlebars. They aren't good looking, they don't give your bike any "street cred" all they do is feed your head about how cool you think you look and maybe, if you don't fuck up the install the first time, some small satisfaction that you are "working" on your bike - all why telegraphing to the world of motorcycling that you actually know nothing.

here is a better approach:

1) does the bike run? if the answer is yes then congrats, you are not half as retarded as most of the newbies out there. If the answer is no then give your self a punch in the nuts because you fucking should have known better.

2) does the bike run well? can you tell if it runs well? If the answer is no - well get figuring this out in a hurry. forget bars, and dress up items. a bike is worthless if it can't get down the street under its own power.

3) did it come with a title? if yes then good boy, you are ahead of the game. If no, punch your self in the dick again for being a tard and once more for talking about clubman bars before you can actually prove you own your bike in a court of law.

4) Ok, if you somehow managed to grope your way through the newbie pitfalls and ended up with a clean bike that runs and has title - take a long hard look at it and ask yourself - if I were a smarter person than I actually am what should I do to this bike to increase my riding pleasure. The answer is not gay as fuck clubman bars. IT is: "maybe I should replace the worn out almost 40 yer old suspension with some modern components and real upgrades", or "is there anything on this bike that doesn't work that should", or "you know, those tires/cables/service items are unknown to me - maybe I should check them out and make sure they are ok", or "those brakes really don't cut it, a grandma in a honda civic can out stop me, maybe I should look for an upgrade. Get the point?

5) you need to stop thinking about bikes as a collection of individual parts and start seeing them as a series of systems. The bars/seat/pegs are all one system connected by the rider - and thus should be changed in unison to fit your particualr needs. Just throwing a set of clubmans on the thing isn't going to cut it because all you will end up with is wrist pain and backache. and no you won't look cool - you'll look like a dork on a honda who is doing his best impression of a dog dragging his ass on the carpet after he has taken an extra gooey shit. The suspension is another system (front and rear) because changing one radically affects the other.

6) plan the bike. sit down, figure out where you want to be, and then make a plan. figure out the small tasks as well as the big ones - that way when it comes time to actually work on your shit you aren't wasting money and time. Need new cables? well if you have already figured out your bar height then you can go ahead and buy a new bar, seat, pegs, and the cables to match. work smarter not harder.

all this could have been avoided with a proper introduction where you post a pic of your bike and actually tell us a little bit about your self. Since you gave so little we were left to assume you are just another TV watching, bandwagon jumping, hipster asshole. If I am wrong - then prove me wrong, give a real introduction.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

You'll need one of these, too:

\"Pain don\'t hurt.\"

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Geez Geeto, while everything you mention about practical aspects of getting the bike running/working right, ring true, do you always have to be a dickhead about it? I haven't been here that long, and I do respect your knowledge base, that I have witnessed here, but man, you just plain suck with your holier than thow approach. Sure he is a newbie, but act more like a mentor, instead of a bully. If you had that attitude as an MSF instructor, I would have seen to it that your sorry ass got kicked out. Lighten up and help educate the guy.
    Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

quote:Originally posted by tabby

Geez Geeto, while everything you mention about practical aspects of getting the bike running/working right, ring true, do you always have to be a dickhead about it?
    Yes.

Once you have been here for a while, or met some of us in person you'll get the inside joke. And it really is quite funny.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

also forgot to ask if the new guy rides.
    and does he have any mechanical skills or tools.
    also is there a budget or is this going to be one of those
    "the guys back in the day just made everything so thats what im gunna do and it will cost me nothing" kinda things

and as far as getting girls....
    funny side story...

that is a pic of the day i got my latest CB750.
    it was parked on the side walk outside of the building i worked in over the summer.
    it was in brooklyn.
    i was outside messing with it for about an hour and had 3 different girls come over and talk to me. one even went out of their way to walk past me and talk.
    i was amazed!
    dude POS bikes are the new puppies!
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

No really. It is funny.
    That's like, your opinion, man.

quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

quote:Originally posted by tabby

Geez Geeto, while everything you mention about practical aspects of getting the bike running/working right, ring true, do you always have to be a dickhead about it?
    Yes.

Once you have been here for a while, or met some of us in person you'll get the inside joke. And it really is quite funny.
    Well, when I get "it", and I get a laugh out of it, I gladly stand corrected.
    Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

yeh thanks for shitting on the new guy, i mad a wise choice on the bike, from the orig owner with title in EXCELLENT running shape if you missed that in the one paragraph i wrote. im not looking to race the bike all over town. or looking for blow jobs but thank you, i like the look and style of that kind of bike and was looking for help from anyone who has had the same kind of bike with luck finding parts. i got the bike because i am new to riding street bikes, with a cheap bike that is not going to cause me any mechanical problems it was a win win for me. i didn't think i needed a pic right now as of im sure you know exactly what a 78 cb400 looks like, if not then you just did a ton of shit talking for no reason? as of the hipster asshole who is jumping on the bandwagon, unless im sure that you came out of your mother riding a cafe racer? only now am i able to have a bike and work on it because i just spent the last chunk of my life serving in the military.? not much time to work on a bike when you are never home. so if you have any good and logical input about the questions that i actually asked that would be great, next time i have questions for the actual answers that you gave, ill make sure to stick my head as far up my ass as i can so i can see it from your point of view.
    as for anyone else that uses this forum for a responsible response and are trying to help out a fellow man id appreciate it, but from the response i received from him. im sure i can just look elsewhere
    and for the dude who put up a survival suit? not sure what you mean but for a guy who had to wear on so he didn't die. maybe i missed the joke

Jag,

Do you have an ad on the Pottsdam CK looking for old hondas? Just curious.

That fellow out at the Honda/Harley dealership has lots of cool stuff tucked away, but won't sell it. One time I took a list of stuff that I needed to restore a bike, real hard to find stuff, and he looked at the list and said "yep, I have it all", then in the next breath "But it's not for sale, I am saving it". Stopped in a couple more times while my kids were up there at school. Last time he said I would have to wait for the auction after he died. He was real healthy at that time..

Welcome new guy. Ignore Geeto's delivery, but pay attention to his advice. From your last post you will fit in well around here.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links