Advice please
Close

Advice please

This is a discussion on Advice please within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Im new into riding anything but dirt bikes. Ive been wanting a street bike for sometime now but typical sport bikes look to flashy for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice please

Advice please

Im new into riding anything but dirt bikes. Ive been wanting a street bike for sometime now but typical sport bikes look to flashy for me and im not sure how i would feel on something so big. Ive been looking and looking and a friend showed me cafe racers....i feel in love. I do have some worries about speed and my weight. Everyone i know has a fast sport bike, such as a cbr600rr. I dont want to be stuck wishing i could keep up. Next i weigh 220....im not fat, but ive been a power lifter for some time now so i am thick. Im about 6ft tall as well. I found a super sweet cafe racer and im debating making a 17 hour road trip to buy it and transport it back for another 17 hours.. it is a 71 cb500. The motor has been completely rebuilt, swaped the bottom end for a cb550 for a better gear box the head has a big port pollish job with a cb650 cam the bike has 29mm cb650 carbs barrnet clutches dyna ingition with 86 ninja600 coils with replaceable leads the wheels are cb750a relaced to cb550 hubs wraped in very new avons the forks are cb550 for the twin brake set up there is ss brake lines and a cbr master cylinder the rearsets are off of a 2010 zx10 the alum swingarm is off a 87 ninja600 that welded shock mounts to the rear stocks are cb750 the tank has custom knee and clip-on dents and has had a alum cap and a weldin bung installed with a new petcock the controls are 06 gsxr and there is a 05 r6 steering dampener the tail section is all steel and the seat is covered in distressed black leather the clip-on are universal 35mm the taillight led and is under the tale where the tag mounts this is a turn key bike. Id be buying it for 3k. Im debating between this or a 98 CBR600F3 thats 2k and about 4 hours away, and then id have to get a dif tank, seat, headlight, remove all the plastic and cut down the rear end so it looked as close to a cafe racers as possible. Im not worry about the fab, ive been a custom fabricator in a machine shop since i was 13 im just not sure if thats a good price on it, and if i could get it close to the look i like and be happy with it. Could someone please give me advice on how the cb500 would feel and ride, and if its price is worth it?

f3 will outhandle and perform the CB hands down.
    Price wise 3k for cb500 is a lot - now it does sound like it could be well built but just a parts list doesn't really tell much.

Buy a bike to ride not to show or to buy into a "style" or "look".

this is a generic answer and a little bit geared to young guy but worth considering imo. :

----
    do you have any experience? how big are you? how much money are you willing to spend (lose).

If you have very little or no experience I would man up and and accept that you will need smaller and maybe not so cool short term bike. Reasons are listed here:

1. You will learn faster on small bike. Really. Were you to spend 1st 1000-2000 miles on small bike you will be better rider at 5000 miles than if you went straight for a big bike. I use miles instead of months as there are a lot of "riders" who have ridden twice a year for 5 years. Small bike is easier to handle in parking lots, easier to pick up when you drop it, less intimidating generally. Its much better to learn on a bike where you quickly feel like the master. Real learning starts only after that actually.

2. Cheap common bikes (ninja 250, rebel 250 or other smaller starter bikes) hold their value great. You can buy a 2500$ ninja 250, put 2000 miles on it and sell it after 10 months and only lose 0-300$ on depreciation. Parts are cheap too should something break.

3. You are likely to drop your bike. If its used older beater its no drama and less $$ to learn the hard way.

4. As a new rider (especially if younger) insurance costs a lot. When you buy a 2000-3000$ bike you don't need full coverage and adding scratch is not going to ruin its value.

I would consider a more neutral bike (so called standard) as they are good to learn on. Once you have put some miles you are much better educated on what kind of riding you actually enjoy. Maybe more of a tourer is your thing, or you fall in love with having more speed and control, or maybe back roads are calling for dual sporting (gravel road oriented bikes).

Don't let other peoples ideas dictate you into (or away for that matter) any particular style of biking. Get a bike, ride and decide for yourself.

But again read my list esp. #1 is true - we have seen the fools with giant Harleys struggling with the weight and being visibly uncomfortable - or the sports bike guy who slams on gas on straight but can't take a corner at all in fear of all the power.

You will learn faster on a small bike. Trust me. Then if you ride quite a bit you might be ready to switch to your dream bike in half a year or maybe even sooner - but do the start right.

bikes:
    Buell Blast, Honda Rebel 250, Ninja 250 , etc. Dual sports are actually good for skill but quite far from cruisers. If you insist on more power honda hawk nt 650 or suzuki sv650

Don't get hurt.

----------

I think the F3 would fit the bill well and if its well kept bike will serve you well. Powerful but not insane race replica.
    -

Thanks for the advice. I am not a young rider,or a new rider. I have been riding a dirt bike most my life. Im also not new to control. I have been racing road courses in cars for the past couple years, my current is a 91 vette that i have keeped on the track to the point that it only has 18k on the motor. I was considering the cb to be a smaller bike, its more the size of a dirt bike then the f3 is and probably wont have the kick my friends cbr600rr has ( which i have driven several times). Im not saying im a vet by any means, i am paying alot of respect to any bike i ride at the moment and the friend with the cbr is a motorcycle mechanic and instructor at our local track so i plan on following as much of his ridding lessons as i can. He wanted to put me on a rc51 or a sv as well. Said i could handle it and it wouldnt be as high strung of a motor. The biggest concern wasnt style and looks, or performance. I kinda have a guess at what the cb will be like and the f3, at least i compare the f3 to his cbr, and the cb to my kawa 440 ltd. I was more concerned with how i would feel on a cafe racer being a larger guy, and if the performance of the bike would be hindered a great deal by my weight. The 440 is a turd, and i can get it to about 60 before it starts to complain, it also isnt in good shape at all. I plan on ridding it for the rest of this year as a daily driver to work before i even got on my next bike. I just have the money now for the next bike, and happened to hear of these two bikes. Im really leaning to the cb over the f3, its probably the cleanest cafe racer i have seen. Any more opinions would be greatly appreciated

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

the cb will be too small for you. i think. look for a gs750, kz750, or something of the like. the gs is a large enough bike it will haul you no issues. plus the are cafe looking. wire wheels etc...

the f3 is a much nicer more commuter type machine. plus it will fit you better. but im pretty sure it will never resemble a cafe. haha. keep looking is what i say.

jc

not a pretty boy honda rider... i\'m fag on a TTR

ok, thats how i feel about the 440ltd, way to sluggish when im on it vs when my 150pnd friend is. I have a gs1100 i tradedfor a 383 i built, my friends 53 chevy motor blew and he was in a show in a couple weeks so i hooked him up, i probably got the short end but he is like my brother. Problem is he hacked it up making a "bobber" and the frame, wiring, and engine all need to be gone through before i every dream of driving it. And i dont want to jump from small xp on a 440 to a liter bike

what about the 2001 Derbi GPR $1200.00 for sale on this forum?

Dido with Kero's advice. I think what he was trying to relate to you was riding in the dirt does not equal experience for the street. You may know how to handle a bike well enough but on the street it you against all the other vehicles that have nothing better to do by run over your butt. Learning how to ride is one thing - learning how to survive the streets is another lesson.

Bike size - You would NOT be very happy with the cb500 with your weight and size. I've owned one before and it was a great bike. I now ride cb750's and I find them much more comfortable than the 500's. Speed & power wise is not that much difference between the two. The 750 has a little more heavy feel than the 500.

Build or buy - Driving 17 hours to look at a bike is flat out ridicules.. If your hell bent on a cafe style bike, watch the bikes that come up on ebay for something close to you. Before you lay out any cash, bring a friend that knows bikes and check it out. I've seen too many cases where the bike was way less than the seller would have you believe. Too bad the gs1100 was cut up - that would have been a nice bike for you to build your own. I have to believe you could find a reasonable bike off your local craigslist that would be a good build bike. Right now CB750's seem to be the #1 bike for a cafe project and the prices reflect that. But there are other bikes out there that would be good candidates. This form is full of example bikes. One of most overlooked bikes is the 79-83 GS750 Suzuki. It has good performance, handling and cheaper than a CB750.

Performance - There is no way a 70~80's style bike is going to keep up with a modern sport bike without some sever modifications. The RC51 is a 180mph bike while a 80's kZ1000 might do 130 with a strong back wind. With your weight and size you could fit a 750/1000 70~80's style bike very easily. Myself - I'd rather build my own than buy someone else's build. That way I know what's in the bike. I've seen some great deals listed in local swap sheets. Most folks listing bikes on craigslist are out in left field with pricing but sometimes you can find a really good deal.

Summary - buy something close - don't narrow your search just to cb's, other model bikes can be cafe'd just as nice - be patient and the right deal will present itself.

BTW the Derby is a 50 or 60cc bike - way too small for what your looking at.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

thanks a bunch

If your friend can hook you up with an SV650, that is the way to go. I think it has a lot of potential for a cafe, there are a ton of parts out there, it is a great motor that won't get you into trouble and they handle really well. If your buddy is a racer, then he has plenty of connections for SVs and parts.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

forget all this old bike crap. Get yourself a good proper upright standard. Off the top of my head search the used market for a Honda 599, yamaha fz6, suzuki sv650, Ducati monster 600 or 750, Kawasaki ninja 650r (the parallel twin not the 636 ninja sport bike), kawasaki ex500, or a buell xb9 thunderbolt or lightning. Don't waste your time with the blast, I like it but unless you are under 5'7" it is a toy.

A good upright sporting motorcycle will allow you to develop good riding habits that a sportbike won't.

Don't waste your time with any twincylinder bike under 600ccs. A guy your size just makes those bikes novelties.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links