New Member!
Close

New Member!

This is a discussion on New Member! within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello all. I just wanted to introduce myself on the forum. I'm 22 years old and I love old motorcycles, cars, and anything vintage really. ...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Member!

New Member!

Hello all. I just wanted to introduce myself on the forum. I'm 22 years old and I love old motorcycles, cars, and anything vintage really. I have read posts for the last few months as a non-member and decided to join to maybe further my knowledge and help anyone that I could with my experience. My first motorcycle was a 1978 cb400 t2, and it was a project to say the least. It had been sitting in a garage since 1985 and had less than 5000 miles on it. I picked it up for next to nothing and slowly but surely put money into it and eventually had a dependable bike that was easy to work on, but not so easy to find psrts for. I sold the bike last october to pay bills (work was slow), but now things have picked up and I really would like another honda twin to work on. I have been interested in the CB350's (twin not 4) because I love the look of them, parts are readily available, and from what I have read are reliable machines. My only dilemma is I am 6 feet tall so I don't know how comfortable I'd be on one. Now I understand no one can answer the question of whether or not I'd be comfortable on a 350, but is there anyone on this forum thats around 6 feet tall that rides somewhat comfortably? If so what set up do you have? (bars, seat, pegs, rearsets, etc.). I really enjoyed the bexton cafe racer thread and would someday be able to do a ground up resto build on a 350 like that one, but not for a while haha. Thanks everyone for all the hard work and time you put into this forum because it allows someone new to cb's and cafe's a means of getting into these awesome machines.

I think Tex may give you a hug.
    Did you hear about the pirate with two wooden legs?

They caught fire and burned his ass to the ground!

You won't be, for any real time spent on the bike. Then again, most people don't use 350's for long rides.

A cb450 would fit you much better for rides that are more than just a few miles. And their engines are sooooper cool lookin. But they ain't cheap, as you know.

There are many other decent twins that may fit you better. Even the xs400's and gs450's are much more comfortable for a taller person. Dont forget xs500's and xs650's too. There are a number of others, as well, though some are weird boat anchors, like the kz750 twin.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Hey thanks for the replies already. Ya I have considered other twins but it seems as if the 350's are the easiest to find and I was only looking for something cool to buzz around town on really not a race bike or touring of any sorts. My cb400 was pretty comfortable, but it seriously took me such a long time to get it running right because they jet those bikes so lean to begin with. Not complaining, it was a good first bike, but after that and trying to find parts (which seem to be non existent, atleast in my area) I decided on the 350 because there seems to be more of an aftermarket for it. HAHA and why is Tex going to give me a hug oneworden?

Tex will hug ya because you filled out your bio, and told us about yourself before asking where the best place to get open pipes and clubmans at.

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

because you filled out your bio, introduced yourself, and asked good straight forward questions. i'm 6'1" and ride and race CB350's. my race bike has clipons and rearsets (at passenger peg location) and i am comfortable on that for 8 laps sprints (15-20 minutes), but could be comfortable on it longer. my streetbike has standard foot position and a set of CB400/4 bars on it (they are like superbike bars), and i can ride that all day long.

hope this info helps. feel free to ask away.

cheers,

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

Maybe it's just because my back and shoulder are so bad I can't handle rides of any real length on the tiny bastards.. :/

here is a photo of my streetbike so you can see the bars:

racebike and me at mid-o/beertopia 2009 with old raask rearset that came with it....behind me sitting down is my pal ken and my tuner uch.

action shot at summit (i think T3) so you can see foot position, as well as my body position too.

man you guys are awesome. thanks for all the replies. I emailed a guy in Mass today about a cb350 he has its complete and has good compression it's just been sitting for a while. I offered him 200 and as long as its not stolen I think it'd be worth my while. No title but my previous bike didnt have a title either i just had to get a vin verification at dmv. i already picked up a clymer manual off ebay and am pretty familiar with carb work because of the cb400. Tex I like the bikes man, the streetbike is awesome thats right along the lines of what i want to do. any issues i should look for besides the obvious (rust in the tank, worn cables, oil leaks, rims, etc) on this bike. From what I have researched they are pretty solid machines I just didn't know if the 350's had any manufacturing flaws specific to certain years or whatever.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links