State Laws on blinkers and tail lights
Close

This is a discussion on State Laws on blinkers and tail lights within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Does anyone know where I can find the Georgia Law on what I need for blinkers and lights in general on a motorcycle. I'm still ...

Does anyone know where I can find the Georgia Law on what I need for blinkers and lights in general on a motorcycle. I'm still in the design phase of my build and need to know if there is a minimum height or width. Any input would be appreciated.
    \'78 CB 400T II
    \'82 FT 500

Letter of law less important that enforcement. Find out from locals what inspections are actually like.

I've never had to get any vehicle inspected to get a tag, including my first motorcycle. I just don't want to get pulled over and get the bike impounded, I have done that with a car and would rather not do it again.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The actual law and enforcement of the law are two different things. You should know better than anybody that this distinction is even greater in certain parts of Georgia.

If you want to look up the body of laws passed by the Georgia legislature then go to

http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/gacode/Default.asp

and then go to Title 40 - Motor Vehicles and Traffic;

quote:O.C.G.A. § 40-8-23

GEORGIA CODE
    Copyright 2011 by The State of Georgia
    All rights reserved.

*** Current Through the 2010 Regular Session ***
    *** Annotations Current Through October 29, 2010 ***

TITLE 40. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC
    CHAPTER 8. EQUIPMENT AND INSPECTION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
    ARTICLE 1. EQUIPMENT GENERALLY
    PART 2. LIGHTING EQUIPMENT

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-23 (2011)

§ 40-8-23. Taillights

(a) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer manufactured prior to January 1, 1954, shall be equipped with at least one taillight mounted on the rear, which when lighted as required in this article shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of 500 feet to the rear.

(b) Every motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer manufactured after January 1, 1954, shall be equipped with two taillights which meet the specifications provided in this Code section.

(c) Every taillight upon every vehicle shall be located at a height of not more than 60 inches nor less than 20 inches, to be measured as set forth in subsection (b) of Code Section 40-8-21.

(d) Either a taillight or a separate light shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate and render it clearly legible from a distance of 50 feet to the rear. Any taillight or taillights, together with any separate light for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlights or auxiliary driving lights are lighted.

(e) All lenses on taillights shall be maintained in good repair and shall meet manufacturers' specifications.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 106; Code 1933, § 68E-204, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 4; Code 1981, § 40-8-23, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 10.
    quote:O.C.G.A. § 40-8-25

GEORGIA CODE
    All rights reserved.

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-25 (2011)

§ 40-8-25. Brake lights and turn signals required

(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell any motor vehicle manufactured after January 1, 1954, including any motorcycle or motor driven cycle manufactured after January 1, 1954, in this state or for any person to drive such vehicle on the highways unless it is equipped with at least one brake light meeting the requirements of Code Section 40-8-26.

(b) If a motor vehicle is manufactured with two brake lights, both must be operational.

(c) No person shall sell or offer for sale or operate on the highways any motor vehicle, trailer, or semitrailer registered in this state and manufactured or assembled after January 1, 1954, unless it is equipped with mechanical or electrical turn signals meeting the requirements of Code Section 40-8-26. This subsection shall not apply to any motorcycle or motor driven cycle manufactured prior to January 1, 1972.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 108; Code 1933, § 68E-206, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 4; Code 1981, § 40-8-25, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 10.
    quote:O.C.G.A. § 40-8-26

GEORGIA CODE
    All rights reserved.

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-26 (2011)

§ 40-8-26. Standards for brake lights and signal devices

(a) Any motor vehicle may be equipped and when required under this article shall be equipped with the following signal lights or devices:

(1) A brake light on the rear which shall emit a red light and which shall be actuated upon application of the service (foot) brake and which may but need not be incorporated with a taillight; and

(2) A light or lights or mechanical signal device capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left and which shall be visible from both the front and the rear.

(b) Every brake light shall be plainly visible and understandable from a distance of 300 feet to the rear both during normal sunlight and at nighttime, and every signal light or lights indicating intention to turn shall be visible and understandable during daytime and nighttime from a distance of 300 feet from both the front and the rear. When a vehicle is equipped with a brake light or other signal lights, such light or lights shall at all times be maintained in good working condition. No brake light or signal light shall project a glaring or dazzling light.

(c) All mechanical signal devices shall be self-illuminated when in use at the times mentioned in Code Section 40-8-20.

(d) All lenses on brake lights and signal devices shall be maintained in good repair and shall meet manufacturers' specifications.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1953, Nov.-Dec. Sess., p. 556, § 112; Code 1933, § 68E-207, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 4; Code 1981, § 40-8-26, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 10.
    quote:O.C.G.A. § 40-8-34

GEORGIA CODE
    All rights reserved.

O.C.G.A. § 40-8-34 (2011)

§ 40-8-34. Color in lighting equipment

The color in all lighting equipment covered in this title shall be in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Standard J578, April, 1965, as thereafter revised or amended.

HISTORY: Ga. L. 1974, p. 633, § 1; Code 1933, § 68E-215, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 4; Code 1981, § 40-8-34, enacted by Ga. L. 1982, p. 165, § 10.
    The best way to make sure you don't have any trouble with law enforcement is to drive a motorcycle that doesn't attract their attention. If you do attract their attention and don't want any trouble then make sure that you have lighting equipment that is working and DOT compliant and mounted in a position that a "reasonable" person would consider "normal." When I say DOT compliant I mean it is in compliance with applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, i.e. amber signals, DOT/SAE markings on lenses, etc.

Thank you very much for the info, and from racing in the past, although not motorcycles(yet), I know it is up to the one looking at it who will say wether it is legal or not. The reason I ask is because stock blinkers are hideous and my dad warned me about the height issue.

I've never had a blinker on a bike and hopefully never will. Run it !
    http://theglassboot.blogspot.com/

Usually (it varies from state to state of course) the law says something like you have to have the original lights; ie if the bike CAME with turn signals, you have to have turn signals. How big is usually a matter of taste as long as they are visible at a certain distance.
    The simplest thing is to just ask an inspection station.
    LOOK OUT IT\'S COMING THIS WAY!

Sponsored Links