indan made enfields?
Close

indan made enfields?

This is a discussion on indan made enfields? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; ok, so a guy i know has a super cherry royal enfield bullet 500 repop at his shop. it has 56 original miles on it, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

indan made enfields?

ok, so a guy i know has a super cherry royal enfield bullet 500 repop at his shop. it has 56 original miles on it, and a clean title. it's titled as a '99, but is exactly the same as the '55 in the same flavor. is this a pretty good bike? it's pretty cheap(2 grand or so), and i wouldn't feel like i was molesting a priceless antique to cafe it, since it's a repop and it's only 12 years old... oh yeah, and i really dig the chrome gastank![]
    It ain't easy bein' fat and greasy.

talk to leo here. he was an enfield dealer and is still involved with enfield service.....

and a little thing called Project Badger.

cheers,

tex
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

Get it, whack it. Its an Indian Enfield. Can be customised with a big hammer and a blunt screwdriver. I think they come with the tool kit. Come to think of it they are the tool kit.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

If it only has 56 miles, it isn't even broken in yet. A proper break-in is crucial with the iron heads, so I'm told. If it's been sitting for 12 years, that might be an issue...I don't really know. Like tex said, Leo oughta chime in.

Get it. The other thing is that it isn't a repop. It is continued production of the original Enfield.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

leo
    quote:Get it. The other thing is that it isn't a repop. It is continued production of the original Enfield.
    Thanks, Ken.

Chief86, please stop calling it a "repop". Whatever the humble Bullet's stature might be in the big scheme of things, Royal Enfield is THE oldest surviving motorcycle manufacturer, tracing its roots to 1901, and further back then that as a maker of bicycles and firearms. The Bullet itself has the distinction of being the longest continuously produced motorcycle model in history, first introduced in Britain, in 1948, I believe. Production of the Bullet continues to this day, albeit now with a newly designed, relatively modern fuel injected engine

The Bullet itself is highly idiosyncratic. Living with one can be both a trying, and rewarding experience. There are good ones and bad ones. Largely depends on who put it together, and how much cow shit was in the smelting pot that day.

As previously stated, the engines are HIGHLY sensitive to a gentle break in, and even at that tend towards the fragile.

On the plus side, they are fun, charismatic, and neat, user friendly platforms to play with. Their motors can be made to both make power AND hold together. That of course takes some $$$, which typical owners of a "cheap" bike are adverse to investing.

The early exported bikes ('99 or so) were actually pretty well made, but can be rough to look at. Again, a good basis for a project. It will have a cobbled together, abortion of a left foot shift linkage. The 4 speed gearbox isn't bad, but convert it to right foot shift for both purity and enjoyments sake.

Relate to it for what it is, and you'll have fun.

2k is a typical "asking" price. Get him down to 15. All the better, wave cash in his face and push for 1200.

Use the search function to find the "project badger" that Tex alludes to.

For some more info on RE's in general, and Project Badger, hit my website link below this post.

If you have any other specific questions or comments, feel free to hit me up via PM or cell.

Cheers,
    Leo

The only thIng I can add to this is:

1) hitchcocks in england has a dizzying array of parts for these bikes, everything fro
    Race heads to big bore kits to take it to 750cc

2) there is a cafe kit that fits these bikes - you'll spend more for the kit than the bike but IMHO it is totally worth it for the alloy tank and dunstall style square back seat that doesn't require any mods to fit.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

thanks fellas. i really like the bike, but after talking to him about the thing, he's getting cocky about it, and wants $2500 now. i might do better to look for a cheaper one. thanks for clearing up the 'repop' smoke. i don't know anything about these bikes other than the fact that this one looks really good. does anybody know where i might get a killer deal on one in the southeast? i'm in tennessee, and i really want a good bike with character, and for as cheap as i can get it. i think the guy with the aforementioned bullet got the vibe that i liked the bike, and cranked the price up to reflect it. at the moment, i am driving a jeep grand wagoneer with a big thirsty v8(15 mpg downhill with the engine off), so i need a gas saver ASAP, but if i spend a lot of money on a bike, it will take a long time to offset the price of fuel. i am handy with a wrench, and i don't really mind ugly.

there was a 2006 with 5K miles on it, running with a title at an auction this year in VA. it sold for $1500.00.

tell the seller to go pound sand up his ass. there are others out there....keep looking!

i'm cranky this morning.

tex

p.s. - i'd call him and say that i have 20 new hundred dollar bills right now, but your offer has a lifespan of 20 days. each day it takes him to sell you the bike (make up his mind), you subtract $100.00 from your offer.....so on the 19th day, the bike is only worth $100.00. that's how i'd play an asshole like the seller you describe.....BTW: i'm still really cranky!
    advocate for the injured, disabled, and urinated upon.

^hahaha you just made my day! i'd never call this guy an asshole, as he's an old dude from way back that i have lot of respect for that is in his late 70's and still races old jawas and ossas, and rides to his shop everyday on a '49 bsa with a sidecar. but yeah, i do like the idea of the 20 bills, and a daily subtraction. the deal on that particular bike is that he's selling it as a sort of consignment, and he did some work on it or something, and is now trying to do something with a mechanic's lein or something, because the guy didn't pay him after a couple of years. i might go pester him now, though, and see where the price is now, a month later...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links