pros and cons of 77 gs750
Close

This is a discussion on pros and cons of 77 gs750 within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; hey , just looking for some opinions on the gs750 spefically a 77. havent read up on many suzukis, only hondas, so would like to ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

hey , just looking for some opinions on the gs750 spefically a 77. havent read up on many suzukis, only hondas, so would like to know the good and bad about the bike. can pick up another bike on a good deal
    CR.NET home of the douchebag motel

Pros:
    Faster than other 750's, better frame than any of the other large bikes of the era (the kz650 is better, IMO), takes mods like crazy (uses same cams as the gs1000), roller-bearing bottom end, handles pretty well, still has a kickstart.

Cons:
    Slower than a gs1000, forks don't have blanks for dual disc setup, a little long, and a little heavy.

There's a reason Yoshi went with it as his bike when they were released.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

Pros:
    Faster than other 750's, better frame than any of the other large bikes of the era (the kz650 is better, IMO), takes mods like crazy (uses same cams as the gs1000), roller-bearing bottom end, handles pretty well, still has a kickstart.

Cons:
    Slower than a gs1000, forks don't have blanks for dual disc setup, a little long, and a little heavy.

There's a reason Yoshi went with it as his bike when they were released.
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

It has "shim on top of bucket" valve adjustment. With the special tool from Suzuki, pretty easy to do. Although the old paper based valve cover gasket can be a pain to remove sometimes. I found that coating both sides of the gasket with anti-seize, pretty much stopped it from sticking. Messy to apply it though. The only bad thing that I've heard about shim on top, is that you don't want to over rev to the point of valve float. It can then "spit a shim",,,,, then all hell breaks loose. I had the 78 GS750E, with dual disks, so they can be fitted if you shop around. Oh, and early ones tended to weep oil at the head area around the cam chain tunnel. Supposedly due to the large o-ring seal around the tunnel not being up to snuff.
    Mine leaked there, but it was never enough to cause concern.
    Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

It has "shim on top of bucket" valve adjustment. With the special tool from Suzuki, pretty easy to do. Although the old paper based valve cover gasket can be a pain to remove sometimes. I found that coating both sides of the gasket with anti-seize, pretty much stopped it from sticking. Messy to apply it though. The only bad thing that I've heard about shim on top, is that you don't want to over rev to the point of valve float. It can then "spit a shim",,,,, then all hell breaks loose. I had the 78 GS750E, with dual disks, so they can be fitted if you shop around. Oh, and early ones tended to weep oil at the head area around the cam chain tunnel. Supposedly due to the large o-ring seal around the tunnel not being up to snuff.
    Mine leaked there, but it was never enough to cause concern.
    Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

I had a 79, put the 77 spoked wheels on it and ran the dual discs with the 77 hub no problem. Bike was fast enough to scare me, easy to work on and gave me no troubles while I owned it. The GS engines are way overbuilt because Suzuki was late to the 4 stroke game and couldn't afford failure. I traded mine in pieces (I tore it apart to do a ground up build) for a CB450 and a CL450 plus $100, and now I'm looking to purchase another one for a touring machine. Loved that bike.

I guess the one thing I didn't like was with clip-ons installed and the stock 5 gallon tank it was a stretch for me, I'm 5' 9". It is a big bike and something like 490-500lbs, dumped it on my leg once and it was a fight to get it off me. I've had enough beers and internet for the night, just buy one.

I had a 79, put the 77 spoked wheels on it and ran the dual discs with the 77 hub no problem. Bike was fast enough to scare me, easy to work on and gave me no troubles while I owned it. The GS engines are way overbuilt because Suzuki was late to the 4 stroke game and couldn't afford failure. I traded mine in pieces (I tore it apart to do a ground up build) for a CB450 and a CL450 plus $100, and now I'm looking to purchase another one for a touring machine. Loved that bike.

I guess the one thing I didn't like was with clip-ons installed and the stock 5 gallon tank it was a stretch for me, I'm 5' 9". It is a big bike and something like 490-500lbs, dumped it on my leg once and it was a fight to get it off me. I've had enough beers and internet for the night, just buy one.

jealous of kickstarter. [V]
    BFF of Ken, inheritor of same status with Tex, erstwhile defender of young Kerry, and general village idiot sans village. Glen.

BFF of Ken, inheritor of same status with Tex, erstwhile defender of young Kerry, and general village idiot sans village. Glen.

quote:Originally posted by engel

Ha, ha! And I could start my 78 with my hands,,,, on the kickstarter.
    Two hands when she was cold, one when she was warm.
    Gawd do I love an in-line four!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links