used bike prices?
Close

used bike prices?

This is a discussion on used bike prices? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I'm looking to get a used bike pretty cheap so I can learn how to work on one and hopefully turn it into something pretty ...

used bike prices?

I'm looking to get a used bike pretty cheap so I can learn how to work on one and hopefully turn it into something pretty cool. The question I have is on prices. Maybe I am way off but I thought I could find a used bike fairly cheap. I'm looking on ebay and craig's list and not really see anything affordable. I see prices for a used CB450 from 1985 with a torn seat going for $1000 or more. I rarely if ever see a bike for less than a grand. Is that pretty much normal for bike prices? I don't know what the average price is for a used bike say from the 80's or earlier so I thought I'd check here and see if prices of 900-2000 for a one that old was pretty common.

Thanks.

This is a bad time of year to buy a bike, but I have seen a few deals on CL in the past week here in the North East. Like $300 to $500 CB360's. Yeah, some guys think they have a goldmine in their garage, or sitting out back behind it.

Fill out your bio please. It would be helpful to know where you are.

If it runs and has a title, no matter how ugly it is worth a grand at the beginning of the year. Come august it will be worth 2/3rds that.

Buy something running, if it is old it will still need work anyway and general maintenance is better than a full tear down.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

The prices you see on craigs list are not usually the prices that someone will settle for. I usually watch to see if the listing gets posted several times. That's an indicator that the seller's prices is either too high and/or no one is interested in the bike. HD's are always listed with unrealistic pricing.

I think you will find better pricing on 80's related MC's vs 70's MC's.

I agree with Geeto's comment - if its vintage that runs with a title, your bottom line pricing is going to be around 1G. Wait later in the year and the price will drop.
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

I have a couple of bikes that I'll sell you for just over the 1K price. I can deliver right to your house. Oops, no I can't since I don't know where you live! Fill out your Bio!

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

Ken do you have an RD400 you could drop off?

quote:Originally posted by nic579

Ken do you have an RD400 you could drop off?
    Not at the moment, but I can get you one. Today's Craigslist has a DS7 and YDS3 listed. You do realize that 2 strokes are the implement of Satan and designed to lure you down the path of doom and destruction.
    I can put you into a nice Honda 500 Ascot or Yamaha FZ600.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

nic- Does it have to be a 400? There's been an RD250 that's appeared a couple of times in the Syracuse craigslist for well less than a grand. looks to be in nice shape.

Craig

quote:Originally posted by craig641

nic- Does it have to be a 400? There's been an RD250 that's appeared a couple of times in the Syracuse craigslist for well less than a grand. looks to be in nice shape.

Craig
    I know I have been tempted to go after that one but need to get myself a trailer and a hitch installed, cant take the borrowed truck that long.

Sponsored Links