New to Cafe what should I get
Close

This is a discussion on New to Cafe what should I get within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello everyone my name is Cristian from NJ and Im new to cafe had a Yamaha R1 before but as Im getting older I want ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello everyone my name is Cristian from NJ and Im new to cafe had a Yamaha R1 before but as Im getting older I want something cooler that you dont see every day , so the bikes Im looking at are CB750/CB900 or KZ750/KZ1000 from 1980 to 1982 , I want 4 inline DOHC and I also want something with balls thats why I dont really want anything under 750cc, both bikes are similar in power and everything else so it comes down to aftermarket support and easy to find parts , at the moment Im looking to buy a cheap project that I can work on , any advise will help thanks for reading and if you think I should get another bike please tell me why .
    Cris

Derby has a GS750 for sale in the for sale section. I like the 750s more than the kz or the cb because they actually handle and it is easy to build a 7/10
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Thanks I so it but Im looking for something way cheap may not running that I can mess with ,no electrical problems I suck and electrical trouble shooting, and I dont know much about suzuki that's why is not included ....by the way is any bike known for having a bullet proof engine ?? thanks
    Cris

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Welcome!

IMO, Its best to start off with the best example of what you’re looking for. The GS fits the ticket, and from what I know about those bikes in general, they are as reliable as your going to get. 1500 negotiable, there’s noting to talk about. Go look at it. Even a clean bike will give you something to tinker with.

JP

"Its amazing what can be done when you don't know you can't do it" Bill Anderson

I would actually consider the Honda DOHC cb750/900/1100F engines more fragile than the GS or the KZ. But I guess if you know to exclude the GS and want a DOHC honda you must know more than me (and the literally dozens I have owned) about them. Heck I am pretty sure you don't need any more advice from any of us.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

The Suzis and Kawis of that era were more popular with the dragracers too, so there is probably more aftermarket support for those engines even now. With a well prepped GS1100, even today you will see them at the local drags running deep into the 10s. So you can go the whole cafe route, and still have the nut to PO LOTS of newer stuff.
    Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

Thanks that is helpful information about the GS , like I said before I don't know much about old Suzukis but I will research ,I want to do the cafe racer style to it , tank ,seat, handle bars that's why Im looking for something way cheap or project bike.
    Cris

quote:Originally posted by Cris_A

Thanks that is helpful information about the GS , like I said before I don't know much about old Suzukis but I will research ,I want to do the cafe racer style to it , tank ,seat, handle bars that's why Im looking for something way cheap or project bike.
    Oh...so your are totally ghey. I didn't realize that. then buy whatever you want it isn't going to matter. Here I thought you wanted a motorcycle to ride - not a thing to pose next to.

FYI, this isn't the style place. I think you have us confused with the internets version of the starbucks parking lot.
    - Samuel Beckett
    - Kevin Kelly

Come on Geeto, let the dude find his place. Anywhere you go, in any niche of whatever, you will find poseurs. They will come and go. Is this fellow one of them?? Who cares.
    Yes indeed, it does suck when something you love passionately becomes the fad du jour. The thing is, it will pass, regardless, leaving yourself and your passions still intact.
    At least that is how it is for me. I don't care if someone is a fashion plate, I'll still help them if I can. That way, maybe they will embrace some sincerity, and maybe be a little bit less of a fashion plate, and more of an enthusiast. No loss on my part.
    Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

I figure tell him to buy what ever bike you need parts for. this thing will sit and collect dust until the wheel rot off of it. its like a savings account for old motorcycle parts. I appreciate the work they do for us.
    Did you hear about the pirate with two wooden legs?

They caught fire and burned his ass to the ground!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links