A bad day riding?
Close

A bad day riding?

This is a discussion on A bad day riding? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; I like this video, you can guess where it's going pretty easily and even though it's 20 minutes long I still enjoyed it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A bad day riding?

I like this video, you can guess where it's going pretty easily and even though it's 20 minutes long I still enjoyed it

“I love all kind of motorcycle. But especially I love cafe. Hmm, not cafe, just racer.”
    ~Shinya Kimura

why are almost all motorcycle short films about crashing?

There was one a while back where the dude gets up from a wreck with a minor head injury and starts calling home to his wife who isn't answering. He gets more and more frustrated, meanwhile she was actually on the back of the bike and was lying an a field badly hurt. I felt sooooooo bad watching that.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

He didn't crash.
    “I love all kind of motorcycle. But especially I love cafe. Hmm, not cafe, just racer.”
    ~Shinya Kimura

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I think anyone who does a lot of their own mechanical work can relate to this video pretty well...

I actually expected it to be about a crash after the first minute or so; I'm glad it wasn't. The one Geeto's talking about just sounds damn depressing.
    '79 GS750E for sale HERE
    '86 XT350
    '91 BMW 318is Turbo
    1989 Caprice Classic wagon 5.7 TBI, 5 speed manual
    2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure

quote:Originally posted by gearheadE30

I think anyone who does a lot of their own mechanical work can relate to this video pretty well...
    ?

I think I am going to just put this out there.....

I really truly believe that in order for someone to make a movie about you, you need to do something interesting and notable first. Call me crazy but after this string of "working class hero" style short films about douches who build mediocre style bikes (see "Cafe cowboy", etc) I don't really want to hear your philosophy about life and wrenching as some metaphysical exestential whatever.....I want to hear at 200mph all you could think about was not pissing yourself because the salt was loose that day, or what a real struggle it was figuring out how to do your own engine from scratch, or something more than I bang metal seat pans for shitty japanese bikes and dress all 1967 and drive an old ford pickup.

I will admit, I watched 45 seconds of the above posted move. I saw a helmet rolling around and said, not more of this shit. I have no idea who the dude talking is or why I should care. If he does something
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I like it. Not much extra fluff. About the sense of riding. It's joys and frustrations. Not all buddy buddy and shit. Yeah, dude was way hipper than I. Sort of Thin Red Line meets On Any Sunday meets hipster.
    Maybe a little Tarkovsky in there. Was waiting for the buxom, red headed moto-fairies to show up, sprinkle some faerie dust and send hipster dude on his way. Or possibly the bike was gonna start through sheer will-power alone.

Feelin' all artsy-fartsy today,
    NE
    Subscribe to SIX HOT ISSUES!! of WarmPipe for only $29.99!!! Interweb NOW!!!!!

" . . . buxom, red headed moto-fairies to show up . . . "

Call me shallow - but that would have made the movie for me.

@nic-frustration with something inanimate and mechanical when it doesn't work right after working on it for awhile, and then the feeling of success and happiness when it all decides to work right, which makes all the frustration worth it. I guess this mostly relates to cars I've built rather than motorcycles, where something always seems to go wrong and it can seem like the project or machine is actively working against you. It becomes a challenge of sorts, and it is all very gratifying after, say, rebuilding carbs and kicking it over the first time and feeling the fruits of your labor. Or at least that's how I feel, haha.
    '79 GS750E for sale HERE
    '86 XT350
    '91 BMW 318is Turbo
    1989 Caprice Classic wagon 5.7 TBI, 5 speed manual
    2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links