Miss Behavin' ain't behaving so much anymore....
Close

This is a discussion on Miss Behavin' ain't behaving so much anymore.... within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; So thanks to the NY DOT's inability to hang a sign at a proper level, the visor on my beloved but ever so tacky KBC ...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

So thanks to the NY DOT's inability to hang a sign at a proper level, the visor on my beloved but ever so tacky KBC helmet, "Miss Behavin'", is now irreparibly busted. Add that to the akwardness of the angry glares of more than one single, over 40, professional, liberated, empowered, woman boring into the back of my head at the sight of it (while I rock my best 1980's "yeah you know you want it" grin to add a little spice to the tension) means that it may be time to retire the helmet and buy a new one.

For those who don't know why a bunch of single female lawyers would be pissed at me this is what the helmet looks like:

Yeah, tacky I know, but there is a great story on how I acquired it involving slot machines, vegas, and a couple of rented hardtails. Plus I loved the fact it is the most brazenly american thing I can wear while I ride my japanese and italin motorcycles. As Calvin of Calvin and Hobbes once said...."You are are going to go, Go for the Gusto!"

Anyway, the only real fault I found with this helmet, besides the cheap plastic construction of its fixtures, is the ventilation. That nose vent breathes like I am inhailing from a paper bag (and not one with a rattle can of paint in it). I don't think I am going to buy another KBC....so....I could use some suggestions.

I am not the dude to spend $300+ dollars on an Arai helmet just so I can say motoGP has touched my life. They are nice helmets I am sure but really, some of my bikes didn't cost $300 and I am a firm believer that once you cross the $100 full face, snell, ECE, and DOT rated territory then you are really paying for branding (really I just don't want you jagwads rehasing such lovely cliche's as "do you have a $100 head? then get a $100 helmet"). The best Icon fullface I ever got was a $26 clearance catalog fullface so there is more in the price of helmets than quality. I am however the jackwad who would spend $300 on an HJC AC12 carbon because 1) I get helmets for wholesale usually, and 2) that sucker is so light it doesn't wear you out like other lead on your head helmets would. So for arguments sake let's call the spending limit here $300 retail or below.

Things I want feedback on:

- Ventilation. The KBC used to fog up the moment I put it on. The Shoei it replaced was awesome for ventilation but a) was from 1989) and b) sounded like a wind tunnel with all the vents open.

- art. Dragons are ok. Battle Axes ok. Half nekkid women are no longer ok. I don't love any pro rider enough to wear his shit so I can pretend to be him while I preen at a red light into the bar end mirror of my ducati. Seen something that screams Geeto67 "The bastard of the caferacer.net set" - let me know. pics of open disease ridden vaginas on the top of my helmet need not apply. Somedays I really do feel like I should go for the gusto (so if you see a helmet with flying tigers teeth on it I am game). Maybe I should by a white helemt and we can have an artwork contest? Once again see restriction on depictions of open disease ridden vaginas.

- safety. How do you feel about snell 2005 vs snell what ever the new one is. Also how do you guys feel about carbon shells vs traditional flexi abs plastic.

ready.....let the replies begin!!!!!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

When I worked at the Kawasaki dealer we had a KBC and an Arai that were both scratched up so we couldn't sell them. If you dropped both of them from shoulder height the KBC would pop back up to at least your stomach and the Arai would bounce about 4 inches and then stay there. It made it easy to sell a $500 helmet with that demonstration; however, I have always worn cheap helmets.

HJC has become a favorite of mine and their graphics aren't TO bad.

Mine has been great as far as ventilation and doesn't fog up to bad, though I also rainX both sides of mine.

Scorpion EXO400 or 700. I've never paid more than $59 for one. Racing mini bikes gives ample opportunity for testing - so far so good. I've had a $600 Arai and it's better, but not 10X better.

sportbiketrackgear.com has this one for $59 right now in the ever stylish flaming skull fighter pilot theme...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

upon closer inspection it appears to be a missle with a flaming skull guidance system

...and twice pipes

street bandit.....
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

SHOEI
    Johnnyracer

The Bell Vortex has been getting some good press and it's Snell 2010:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...t/bell-vortex/

$179.00 is not bad and they have some paint jobs that are not too bad all in all.

Jim

I wear this: http://www.leatherup.com/p/HJC-Full-...met/50383.html

It's not Snell approved, but it does the job. I wanted something under $100 that didn't look like a bad tattooist's wet dream, tribal vomit, or a sci-fi movie prop. Solid color, simple design...really I would have preferred something even simpler. I even removed the HJC logo sticker.

Doesn't feel too heavy or loud to me, but I haven't ever worn a CF helmet or a $300+ helmet. Doesn't fog up, even in the rain, as long as I'm moving (air flow) and not mouth-breathing. If you're a mouth-breather, you may have problems (not just with the helmet). The first open detent is less than an inch open, so I often ride like that to get lots of air and no dust/wind in the eyes.

What do you care if a bunch of puffed up women have a problem with your lid? Eff'm....if you're gonna go for it, go for it! I kinda dig the titty lid....

As for spending the dosh on an Arai, well...I did and I'll likely never scrimp on a helmet again. It's obscenely comfy, vents nicely, isn't cast from lead and looks a treat. Plus it's quiet.
    (and my head's worth more than $100....haha)
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence and fulfills the duty to express the results of his thought in clear form.
    ~Albert Einstein

quote:Originally posted by Swagger

What do you care if a bunch of puffed up women have a problem with your lid? Eff'm....if you're gonna go for it, go for it! I kinda dig the titty lid....

As for spending the dosh on an Arai, well...I did and I'll likely never scrimp on a helmet again. It's obscenely comfy, vents nicely, isn't cast from lead and looks a treat. Plus it's quiet.
    (and my head's worth more than $100....haha)
    Normally I don't give a shit about what people think, and even sometimes get a giddy little thrill if I piss off someone uptight with my obnoxious helmet.....but I would be a full on retard if I let a helmet be the thing that fucks up my career. If something is going to fuck up my career it should be better than a stupid helmet. Point is I walked into a street sign with my helmet on, broke the visor, can't fix the visor, and thus need a new helmet. I wouldn't have brought it up had I not broke the helmet - I have been quite happy with it for the years I have owned it.

The guy who does HJC's designs looks like the art director on nick cage movies - which is better than scorpion's art dude who looks like puberty just set in.

I wouldn't mind spending on an Arai so much if I knew it would last me 20 years. my old shoei I bought in 1989 and used it until 2005 (and still sometimes use it). however, I am also a cheap fucker and honestly I have never seen the difference between a $250-$300 Bell, simpson, shoei, etc and a $600 Arai. I have seen the difference between the KBC, HJC, etc...and even still for my use (commuting) it isn't enough to justify $400-$600.

anybody have anything to say about fulmer.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links