Close

This is a discussion on new member within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello, new member here. I am looking into buying my first bike and have been slowly for the past year trying to find the ride ...

Thread: new member

Hello, new member here.

I am looking into buying my first bike and have been slowly for the past year trying to find the ride that is for me, I have landed on a Cafe Racer. Love the history, the look, and the speed! Since I am not a pro and am lacking the 5, 10 ,15 and even 20+ years of experience that you guys have, I will be looking into getting some help. I am not school or time trained mech. so some friends and builders are gonna have to be my backbone in this! And hopefully you guys for what I am sure will be a lot questions (I will try to refrain from idiocy and stupid questions at all costs).

So... to get to it, I am leaning towards a 77' Kawasaki KZ650, found one in my area in near mint, running condition for $1900 obo, working on getting it down to $1500. New fork seals, carbs, starter, tires, brake pads, battery, fluids. running!

Gonna just ride it for the rest of summer and fall to get the feel for it. I will probably start off the bike with some clip ons and rearsets. Maybe move into brakes (if I decide to upgrade em that is), and a bit of chopping. Leaving it at that til winter. Where the real upgrading will begin!

No real questions yet, those will probably come soon though.

JD
    Welcome! I think you're making some smart decisions. You found a running bike, check. You're going to ride it before tearing it apart, check. These are the two many people skip. So ride the hell out of it and learn all its quirks and how to not get stranded on it. Make sure tires, brakes and suspension are in good shape. And when it comes time to mod, that's where to start.

JD

He even filled out his Bio, must have read through a few newbie's bashing's and learned from them..

GDA - Looks like your on the right track with your thinking - Welcome
    Bob - Palmyra NY
    2 - 69 CB750, 1 Turbo
    1 - 71 CB750

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

I'm not trying to be pain or a dick. I read your bio and I see you have prior M/C experience. What I don't see, and I don't want to assume, is what rider training you may have had. The fellows here are really good about jumping on a new person about what they should or shouldn't do to, or with a bike. I just get worrisome if the person has a weak riding background. Yes, I was an MSF instructor, so that is my bias. If you have had training, great. Consider more training when the time and opportunity allows. If you haven't, something to think about. Even if you have a good dirt riding background, still something to consider. As good as dirt riding skills are, not all of them transfer to the street as well as you might think. As good as a machine can be, speed still follows the rider.
    There, I'll step away from the pulpit. There is an incredible amount of knowledge at this site, but beware. It is delivered with salt, not sugar. That isn't a bad thing, but it can catch you off guard if you aren't expecting it.
    Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

Thanks for the welcome guys!

The safety and general performance are my first concerns about a vehicle, weather it be 2 wheels or 4. The tires on this are brand new as well as the brake pads (the brakes are looking really good). I need to secure her before I can really test the suspension, which seems really good, but you never know with something that is 40+ years old.

@Tabby... I know exactly where you are coming from. I don't have the most road skills or experience, but I am aware of how important knowledge of the road and safety are. Finishing up an MSF course this next weekend!! I am also aware of how shitty a lot of riders are on the road from an out side perspective. Speeding through heavy traffic, not paying attention to shit as they are cutting people off with out turn signals all to try and look cool or impress there girlfriend.... this is not the type of rider I am!

p.s. Salt vs. Sugar... salt is not always so bad as long as those serving it leave out the razor blades.

I miss my kz it handled damn good for a 32 year old shitbox.

Razor blades?? Damn, that's gotta hurt. Certainly welcome then. This place can be quite entertaining too!
    Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

That is exactly why I joined here... you guys know a whole hell of a lot, can dish out jokes and try not to blow smoke. The attitude seems right for me.

Nothing worse then salt on an open cut!!

gorgeous creatures aren't they. welcome in.
    BFF of Ken, inheritor of same status with Tex, erstwhile defender of young Kerry, and general village idiot sans village. Glen.

Sponsored Links