Cafe Racer Forum banner

New to Cafe Racer

3K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  oneworden 
#1 ·
-Name is Julian and in the northern part of IL
-My riding experince is all street, with 1 track day under my belt.
-I do not currently own a cafe/vintage bike but after selling my GSX-R 600 I will be in the hunt for one.
-Mechanical ability, handy with a wrench and wires definitely don't scare me :D. Have the ability to fabricate small parts, but anything else I can load the bike in my '89 Silverado and seek professional help!
-Goals for the bike will be a simple racer/vintage bike. Looking around I have seen MANY nice examples, but this one seems to be the closest representation of what I will be going for. I hope to be able to blend some modern sportbike suspension components while mostly keeping the vintage racer appearance. I definitely would like to be able to possibly get more tracktime under my belt.

See less See more
#2 ·
not to piss on your parade but that bike will have your elbows touching your knees with the clip ons and stock pegs. The shocks also look like the ebay special chinese shocks that cots 69.99 and are crap.

After your gsxr you should be aware that 70s bike (or early 80s) will not handle like your gsxr. They will have fraction of the power, 1.5x the weight, shitty brakes and flexy frames. Just a heads up.

People here generally are pro functional improvements and against "hip" aesthetic mods just for the sake of looks or "style".

welcome.

buy a working bike btw.

#3 ·
not to piss on your parade but that bike will have your elbows touching your knees with the clip ons and stock pegs. The shocks also look like the ebay special chinese shocks that cots 69.99 and are crap.

After your gsxr you should be aware that 70s bike (or early 80s) will not handle like your gsxr. They will have fraction of the power, 1.5x the weight, shitty brakes and flexy frames. Just a heads up.

People here generally are pro functional improvements and against "hip" aesthetic mods just for the sake of looks or "style".

welcome.

buy a working bike btw.

#4 ·
Completely aware of the "backwards" leap in technology and performance I am looking to take LOL! I think you are right about those forks, the tubes are a little too dark in color, and the bottoms aren't black on any sportbike I have seen. For the most part this is just going to be something for me to tool around on and go to and from work on. Definitely not trying to make this bike something it's not, other than a fun clean looking bike. This will FOR SURE be a driving/riding project, riding time is limited here in the Chicagoland area!

#5 ·
Completely aware of the "backwards" leap in technology and performance I am looking to take LOL! I think you are right about those forks, the tubes are a little too dark in color, and the bottoms aren't black on any sportbike I have seen. For the most part this is just going to be something for me to tool around on and go to and from work on. Definitely not trying to make this bike something it's not, other than a fun clean looking bike. This will FOR SURE be a driving/riding project, riding time is limited here in the Chicagoland area!

#6 ·
I can make you a nice package deal on an FT500 Ascot that has some good mods already done to it and/or a couple of FZ600's that could make street and trackday bikes. I have got to get rid of some of these things since I am moving. A can even arrange delivery at least part way.

Or a Seca 550 that is race ready, but has all the electrics and street stuff, so could be street ridden without too much work.

Ken

#7 ·
I can make you a nice package deal on an FT500 Ascot that has some good mods already done to it and/or a couple of FZ600's that could make street and trackday bikes. I have got to get rid of some of these things since I am moving. A can even arrange delivery at least part way.

Or a Seca 550 that is race ready, but has all the electrics and street stuff, so could be street ridden without too much work.

Ken

#8 ·
I'm pretty sure that Seca photo was re-used w/o permission (nice 360 in the background). :)

That's not the FZ Matt & I fetched for you, is it? After having that thing sitting in my garage, I'd really like one myself... alas, no money at the moment.

#9 ·
I'm pretty sure that Seca photo was re-used w/o permission (nice 360 in the background). :)

That's not the FZ Matt & I fetched for you, is it? After having that thing sitting in my garage, I'd really like one myself... alas, no money at the moment.

#13 ·
Judey,
That is the FZ that you and Ratboy got me. It now has a better shock and fork springs, new rings and an unmodified stock pipe. The picture shows it with the race fairing and wheels on it. Now it has the stock upper fairing and wheels, but the race bodywork could be included, for a price. I also have 2 more FZs that could be set up as part of the deal. To the best of my knowledge all three engines run. The second chassis has an FZR1000 USD front end and CBR900RR shock conversion with CBR600F2 rear wheel. It was going to be this years race bike, but I got a job.
Champ,
How much do you want to pay and how do you want it shipped?

Ken

#12 ·
Judey,
That is the FZ that you and Ratboy got me. It now has a better shock and fork springs, new rings and an unmodified stock pipe. The picture shows it with the race fairing and wheels on it. Now it has the stock upper fairing and wheels, but the race bodywork could be included, for a price. I also have 2 more FZs that could be set up as part of the deal. To the best of my knowledge all three engines run. The second chassis has an FZR1000 USD front end and CBR900RR shock conversion with CBR600F2 rear wheel. It was going to be this years race bike, but I got a job.
Champ,
How much do you want to pay and how do you want it shipped?

Ken

#18 ·
Julian,
I am in Minneapolis, but could deliver partway to Road America this weekend or To Madison WI where my sister lives, or to the Milwaukee area in July. For some gas money, could probably work something out. As far as pricing goes, it depends on which bike(s) you want and how many parts. You can e-mail me at kenessex at aol dot com or call me at six zero 8 770 six 922. I have lots and lots of projects and parts and some of them have to go, and I don't care which ones.

Ken

#19 ·
Julian,
I am in Minneapolis, but could deliver partway to Road America this weekend or To Madison WI where my sister lives, or to the Milwaukee area in July. For some gas money, could probably work something out. As far as pricing goes, it depends on which bike(s) you want and how many parts. You can e-mail me at kenessex at aol dot com or call me at six zero 8 770 six 922. I have lots and lots of projects and parts and some of them have to go, and I don't care which ones.

Ken

#21 ·
quote:Originally posted by champ

ken.no clue what its worth!!! and i'll get judey to get it and he can ride it back to nh!!! ha :)
Champ,
If we could get it to Judey, he could bring it to Mid-Ohio. Unfortunately, I can't attend. How much it is depends on what you want as far as spares or race fairings and such. I a figuring about $1400 for the FZ, for you.

Ken

#20 ·
quote:Originally posted by champ

ken.no clue what its worth!!! and i'll get judey to get it and he can ride it back to nh!!! ha :)
Champ,
If we could get it to Judey, he could bring it to Mid-Ohio. Unfortunately, I can't attend. How much it is depends on what you want as far as spares or race fairings and such. I a figuring about $1400 for the FZ, for you.

Ken

#22 ·
IF you guys need a place to put it for a night I am just south of Milwaukee (Franklin) and have open space in the garage. Oh and it would be fun to spin the wife up with a new bike in the garage.

#23 ·
IF you guys need a place to put it for a night I am just south of Milwaukee (Franklin) and have open space in the garage. Oh and it would be fun to spin the wife up with a new bike in the garage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.