Am I the only one who hates these guys? - Page 5
Close

Am I the only one who hates these guys?

This is a discussion on Am I the only one who hates these guys? within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; quote: Originally posted by texmawby ...stupidity pays a price at CR.net. internet blowjobs are handed out at DTT, cheers, tex Stupidity and perceived stupidity both ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    quote:Originally posted by texmawby

...stupidity pays a price at CR.net. internet blowjobs are handed out at DTT,

cheers,

tex
    Stupidity and perceived stupidity both pay a price. Some things are plain stupid, and some things only seem stupid to some people; there's clearly some subjectivity there. That analysis of DTT is appropriate.

Swagger, you're killing me!

quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

I think what bothers me most is all the hype. I'm not complaining about the bikes; photos indicate he's extraordinarily good at what he does. The media worship he receives is puzzling.

It's just another overpriced chopper to me.
    Judey, in my opinion a lot of it is careful branding/image and marketing...helped in spades by the use of brass everywhere. Brass screams '100-year-old antique'. Everything about their image makes them appear to be transcendent spiritual guides of the motorcycle world from an imagined era of enlightened, pre-industrial invention and craftsmanship, sort of like pirsig meets edison meets jedi.

quote:Originally posted by Judeyramone

I think what bothers me most is all the hype. I'm not complaining about the bikes; photos indicate he's extraordinarily good at what he does. The media worship he receives is puzzling.

It's just another overpriced chopper to me.
    Judey, in my opinion a lot of it is careful branding/image and marketing...helped in spades by the use of brass everywhere. Brass screams '100-year-old antique'. Everything about their image makes them appear to be transcendent spiritual guides of the motorcycle world from an imagined era of enlightened, pre-industrial invention and craftsmanship, sort of like pirsig meets edison meets jedi.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Hehe. What's a good forum without a few jabs...
    220, 221 whatever it takes.

Hehe. What's a good forum without a few jabs...
    220, 221 whatever it takes.

quote:Originally posted by crazypj

I doubt there are any Vincents out there with the original Tuffnol idler timing gears or the heavy bronze ones, probably all have the anodised Dural gear by now (unless someone has come up with an engineered plastic gear?)
    not meaning just to bump this to the top but what the hell are you on about?
    BFF of Ken, inheritor of same status with Tex, erstwhile defender of young Kerry, and general village idiot sans village. Glen.

I had a thought re-reading this A moment ago. I think the subtext of this board that is always present but rarely acknowledged is that motorcycles are just not that important. Here you have a tight group of people who go to massive lengths to keep their hobby going (ever see how much time is needed to go vintage racing? It is almost a second full time job) and yet have opinions that things like the falcon Vincent or triumph, which are trying to elevate the motorcycle to high art and be something more important, are just not as significant as the blow job giving media is trying to make them out to be.

So to the people who are tired of our "negative" opinions, or think that we don't respect or appreciate something like the falcon Vincent, understand that we more than fully understand the craftsmanship that goes into it but in the end motorcycles just are not that important on the grand scheme of things, despite what anyone else is trying to tell you.

Look around your life right now? Are motorcycles more important than your wife, kids, home, parents, friends, clothes, food, education, reputation, or health? If they are then maybe you need to have a hard look at the priorities in your life. I left out job because a lot of people here are industry in some small or large way so for them the whole of motorcycling is important but not one singular bike. They are a passion and an entertainment, motivation to take care of the more important things in your life and stress relief from those very same things. They are minor victories and bolstering your ego when you need it, humbling when you don't. They are not substitutions for Monet,cezanne, Balzac, hemmingway, Steinbeck, Coppola or the like - but they are certainly facilitators to understanding the great connectivity through art, but only if you use them. Just staring at them and they hold no more value than a nudie magazine.
    Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

how very pirsig. the notion of "value." sounds like a new thread everyone can enjoy.
    iphone generated fag

except for ken. he's mean.
    iphone generated fag

That is one beautiful piece of work. Some of the details are amazing. One can't but help appreciating the work and thought that went into that.

It's not a bike that I'd really want to own and not really much use to me, but I can appreciate it for what it is, and the homage it tries hard to pay to the intent of the designers Vincent and Irving. It works hard to evoke the image of Pre war Brooklands racers, so it doesn't really fit any accepted era, but that doesn't stop it from looking stunning.

It is what it is. I like it for what it is and the passion and dedication it embodies. That level of attention to detail is obsessive and impressive.

I don't always agree with Geeto but he's right that bikes are the theme here but not the main event in life. As for Balzac, check out Musee Rodin in Paris to see the bold blocky Balzac sculptures and then compare that to the small intertwined figures on one of the walls upstairs to see inspiration.

He's wrong about the nudie magazines though - they are pure art (all irony intended).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Sponsored Links