New Member from VA Beach
Close

New Member from VA Beach

This is a discussion on New Member from VA Beach within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Hello all, I'm inthe Army stationed in Virginia Beach area and after strong hints and some bugging of my wife over the past 14 years, ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

New Member from VA Beach

Hello all,

I'm inthe Army stationed in Virginia Beach area and after strong hints and some bugging of my wife over the past 14 years, I've finally broken her down and we are riding again. I pretty much joined the site in case I needed help with her bike or maybe parts for it in the future. And, I'm also considering giving my 78 KZ1000 the Cafe Racer look, even though I would probably never race it. I am interested in racing, but I think I'll find another CB350ish bike to do that with. My wife's bike is a 72 CB350, but it isn't a racing bike in any way. Not sure how to post pics here, so I'll wait until someone tells me how easy it is and how stupid I am for not knowing how, LOL...

James
    \"Not as good as I once was, but as good once as I ever was\"... yeah right... don\'t have the back for that, I was AMAZING when I was younger, now I\'m just here...

Hi...

So, what do you actually want to do? You got pics of your KZ?
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

quote:Originally posted by mlinder

Hi...

So, what do you actually want to do? You got pics of your KZ?
    Yes, have pics of both my KZ and my wife's CB350... no clue how to post them, but I have them... would like to do the front fairing, cafe seat (but I want the tail end of the seat to be molded into the Ducktail fender that's on the bike... beyond that, any suggestions are more than welcome

James
    \"Not as good as I once was, but as good once as I ever was\"... yeah right... don\'t have the back for that, I was AMAZING when I was younger, now I\'m just here...

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

James,
    Welcome and thanks for your service. I hope you don't get deployed to some yucky place. My youngest son is active duty USMC and has made 3 trips to yucky places so far.

As far as your bikes go, this place is much more about function rather than looks. Style for styles sake isn't going to fly very well here so be prepared for some abuse if it goes that way. You may want to check out some of the threads by newbies for the entertainment value. That being said, I think the KZ is much better suited for the 80s superbike build rather than the cafe treatment. Google some images for the Racecrafter's Superbike or the Eddie Lawson Replica superbikes. Depends on which style tank and seat yours has. Either way, those bikes had the riders portion of the seat cut down and I think you could do a better job than the racebikes in shaping and blending the passanger portion to blend into the duck tail. That would look good.

As far as the 350 goes, every aspect of those has been covered in one thread or another, most of it multiple times. So, I would suggest that you use the search function and ask very specific questions. If you want to race one, there are several threads on building CB350 race bikes and there are at least 10 or 12 of us on here that have or are racing them, with WERA, AHRMA, USCRA and VRRA. Many live on the east coast and will help you get started on the addiction.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

FAQ has info on pics
    I am Derby\'s Bitch

Some times things come around that are so singularly inept it gives you a whole new appreciation for the ept

If you have a nice mostly-stocker zed, I prolly wouldn't putz it up.

You're going to find here, that I, and most others will tell you these things:

Lose the 'cafe' part of the term. Build a vintage race bike, but make it street legal.

These look the way they do because of their intended purpose, not the other way around.

Find any cheap assed UJM you want.

Make it go faster, stop faster, turn better, and weigh less, and it will end up looking what you want it to look like by default.

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

MOS & pay grade (rank), please. I'm pegging you as middle management (E-5/6) based entirely on the motorcycle collection.

Ken, your son may have been to ugly places, but in his old age he will remember the toughest times during his military career among the best times of his life.
    Many a man who falls in love with a dimple makes the mistake of marrying the whole girl. - Evan Esar

Judey,
    Generally true, but I don't think being pinned down in the cemetery in Najaf by Al Sadr's militia will ever be considered one of the best times of his life. Nor will some of his patrols in Afghanistan, where he lost troops. However, I think the "Band of Brothers" thing will be.

Ken
    WERA 119
    CCS 119
    CRA 119
    AHRMA not anymore
    \"Think twice before you speak, and then you may be able to say something more insulting than if you spoke right out at once.\"
    Evan Esar
    Newbies, Geeto and Tex (Bye Tex)hate me!!

ok, well, first: I'm a SPC/E4, but am in a leadership position on a smaller post and, perhaps due to my age (41), I am treated with "fatherly" respect around here and more times than not, I either plan and/or lead the missions here. I'm not a slacker riding out my time in the military, I just happened to join later in life than most.

As for losing the "Cafe" term, I'll do that when they change the name of the website. And I don't want this to be a vintage race bike, I want it to be a streetbike that looks a particular way, call me a poser if you like, I promise you, I've been called much worse... and last time I checked, posers just stand around and watch others do what they claim to be able to do, I can ride, so poser won't fit.

Having now googled these superbikes you speak of, I could easily see my KZ with that look and feel. Cutting down the front of my seat and shaping the rear to blend into the ducktail should be easy enough to get done and should end up looking quite nice and different also.

As far as yucky places, I've been to them... spent time clearing buildings in Fallujah, lost a few marine friends I had made but none from my team and yes, patrols in Afghanistan give all new meaning to the word SUCK. I hope I don't have to go back either, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Thanks for the suggestions.

k, I'm done.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links