You know there is something wrong with the hobby.. - Page 2
Close

You know there is something wrong with the hobby..

This is a discussion on You know there is something wrong with the hobby.. within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; The price for the Manx is not that bad as prices go. The only thing that really bothers me is the gearbox. Its a road ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The price for the Manx is not that bad as prices go. The only thing that really bothers me is the gearbox. Its a road going laydown not a correct Manx box. Which, I think, is the reason there is no megga on it.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

If you read the description hoof the seller says it has the road gearbox cover and mechanisim so a kicker could be fitted. He says he has the original parts that go with it.

Own a Manx and you find yourself in the shared experience and company of a lot of road racing's legends from hailwood to Geoff Duke, plus the designers like mccandless. Own the nortly and you are channeling......an overweight Frenchman from Florida......

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

I write it like this:
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...sic-motorcycle How to buy a used bike
    http://quiterandom.hubpages.com/hub/...the-Cafe-Racer How to build a cafe racer

It's like a Machiavellian 4-volume trilogy based on Hamlet senza misura with an ego-maniacal downs syndrome kid reading from a Rube Goldeberg-esque kindle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

the manx is the tits...it aint no flippin honda!!!
    Johnnyracer

Johnnyracer

For $36 grand I would want more than a parts bin bitsa special, which that manx is. Of course I have no idea what a matching numbers original bike would go for...

But, I do know that for that price I would want the right side rearset and shift linkage to be there, along with a muffler.

Jack, a real numbers "matching" (ha) Manx would come with a race provenance and be about $50k.
    Guy says he has the correct gear linkages not on the bike.

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better.
    - Samuel Beckett
    A tool is just an opportunity with a handle
    - Kevin Kelly

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    The Norley may have sold at auction for $45,000 but, that was really a charity donation.
    The bidding is closer to what it's really worth (the sum of it's parts with a little bit of labour thrown in for assembly)
    $18~20K would be realistic, but, just about anyone here could build the same or better for less (assuming we had 12~15K 'lost' down the back of the sofa )
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Manx Nortons never had "matching numbers" per se. They were only made for a few months each year as the company that did all of the machining for Norton had to shut down and set up for the task. You couldn't just walk into your Norton dealer and order a Manx. They were only sold to racers with "form". Certain sponsors and engine builders could buy engines with no numbers stamped on them.

I had a Manx engine that was numbered RD101. Which was a Reg Dearden engine. They were all raced and any Manx that still had its original engine would be fairly rare. The last year or so of Manx Nortons were all built from parts they had on the shelf.

You have to remember that up until about 1970 they were raced competitively (or reasonably competitively). The next five years they were just old uncompetitive bikes and then they became collectable.

Throw in the fact that formula three car racing was in its heyday in the 50s and the most popular engine for those cars was a Manx and there were a lot of engineless Manx frames laying about. Norton wouldn't sell only engines (with the above exceptions) so all the car builders had to buy complete Manx Nortons and pull the engine and gearbox from them. So if you ever wondered how the Triton craze got started thats part of the answer.

Geet. I didn't read the part about him having the Manx gearbox parts. I didn't know laydown stuff would interchange. You learn something new every day.
    Don\'t cry because its over. Smile because it happened

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links