Suzuki VX 800
Close

Suzuki VX 800

This is a discussion on Suzuki VX 800 within the General forums, part of the Caferacer.net Forums category; Anyone ever ridden one of these? I saw one on the road today and I had never seen one before (doesn't sound like it sold ...

Thread: Suzuki VX 800

Suzuki VX 800

Anyone ever ridden one of these? I saw one on the road today and I had never seen one before (doesn't sound like it sold very well in the US) even though it is a shaft drive it seems to have a pretty sporting stance.

Would it be worth the time for a project?

To be clear, I'm too busy and too broke and too strapped for space for another project. I was just curious if anyone had any experience with one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_VX_800
    “I love all kind of motorcycle. But especially I love cafe. Hmm, not cafe, just racer.”
    ~Shinya Kimura

I used one as a commuter for a couple of years. Shares the motor with a cruiser that came out around the same time. It was a great running bike and the one that spawned my love for twins. Not much available in the aftermarket for it. Its a bigger, heavier version of your SV with very little support. The old ads were marketing it against the Sportster. Guys were putting ZRX rear shocks on them as an upgrade. Can't remember what the did for the front.

Billy
    Vespa P200(polini 208 kit)
    Vespa 150(polini 177 kit)
    Lambretta Jet200 (heavy porting very soon)
    1978 CB750
    2004 Triumph Tiger 955i

I don't have any personal experience with that bike, but in many ways it was trying target the same market segment as my 93 GSX1100G. Mine is the same color as that VX. If you put them side by side, they would look like first cousins. If the VX is similar to my "G" in chassis numbers, it will be a good over the road bike, but not really something for straifing corners. The G has a 62" wheelbase, and a 32 deg. rake. Stable as hell. Looking at the VX, its' front end looks similar.
    Hmmm, I should investigate the VX and see what it uses for rear differential ratios. I could easily use taller gears on the G.
    Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CafeRacer.net
    Advertisements

Altamonte Springs, Fl. USA, Bridgend, South Wales, U.K.
    It's basically an 'Intruder'800 motor in a street chassis.
    Saw quite a few in Britain (after all,I did work for a Suzuki/Yamaha dealer )
    Very very reliable bike,even the electrical system works well (which is slightly unusual for Suzuki, quite common to have rectifier problems )
    Only 'downside' carbs are a right bitch to set properly if you have no experience of the VS/VL motors.
    They still use the same basic design but with two 'front' heads on the latest 800 'cruiser' (put carbs or throttle bodies into middle of 'V')
    Probably quite rare in USA as it was really a 'Euro' bike
    I dabble in rocket science, when I\'m not picking my nose
    The other night I gave my girlfriend an orgasm, but, she spat it back at me

'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

We had a regular customer in the shop some years back that had one of these (he was a courier). I replaced the clutch and the rear drive shaft seal and took it for a spin. Very relaxed, easy to ride bike. Whilst they are not "inspiring", it still put a grin on my face as it was an extremely relaxed experience.

quote:Originally posted by crazypj

It's basically an 'Intruder'800 motor in a street chassis.
    If I remember back far enough, I think it is the other way around. The Intruder is a VX800 motor in a cruiser chassis. Like my G, the VX never really found its' market. I think Suzuki was kind of hoping for the "standard" market to rebound, but sadly the market was still sliding deeper into cruiser-wannabe- HD land. So they had this motor laying around, and it did look more like an HD than Suzuki's previous "L" models {gag!}, so what the heck. I was hoping for a more sporting version of the VX, but they went ahead and came out with the TL motor instead. They got their standards back in a round about way with the Bandit series, and now the SV series. That VX in the picture looks like its' owner has good taste.
    Aging fart on a soon to be antique. 86 GSXR750, 883 Cosworth kit, head milled .015, 5 angle valve job, Yosh Stg 2 cams and spring kit, Extrudehone porting, Mikuni RS38s, Hindle exhaust, Falicon crank work, Carrillo rods, 17\" Dymag wheels, EBC rotors and pads, SS lines, Ohlins shock, \"Ti\" rear spring, Raceteched forks, 127 rwhp, 10.82 @ 130.7 in the 1/4. Not the bestest or fastest, but pretty frikkin tough.

I had on for a few years. Great bike, solid platform. Great roll on acceleration. Minor suspension upgrages and it handled reasonably well for a bike with cruiser geometry. The carbs are a pain to synch, but after a few times it gets easier. There's an active email list for them, they're a minor cult bike. There's also a forum, but it never amounted to much. There's one guy Canada who's hot rodded one, bored, custom pistons, pretty neat. Took mine from Ohio to the northern Georgia mountains several times, through Deal's gap, the Cherahola Skyway, Wolf Gap and the area and it was always willing to be pushed.

That bike is in good shape, see if it's got progressive springs in the forks. It's already got the tubes raised about 10mm to quicken the steering a little. Those look like progressive shocks in the back. That corbin seat is nice too. Looks like stainless lines on the rear caliper, can't see the front.

I bet I can get you more info on the bike, I'm still active on the list.

Mike

Sponsored Links